Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 6, 2006   #1
mms
Tomatovillian™

Default Blossom Bags: When and How Long?

I came here tonight to ask this question and saw that there was already a thread about bagging, but it didn't contain the info I need.

When do I want to put the bags on?

As soon as I see the blossoms starting to form maybe?

And, how long do I have to leave them on?

I have read about bagging on several websites and a chief concern seems to be blossom drop. Any suggestions on how to keep them from falling off?

Would a larger bag give better air circulation, and as a result keep the temp down, possibly preventing blossom drop?

I saved seed last year but had enough distance between plants to be relatively safe. This year I am growing many more Tomato varieties and will have to bag if I am going to save seed.

Any opinions on barrier crops?
Do they really make a difference?

I have read articles where it is said that other blooming vegetables will draw insects away from Tomatoes.
I have also read articles that said to increase pollination you should plant other crops that insects like so you can attract more. Both opinions make sense, but the results are different.

Any opinions and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
MMS
mms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2006   #2
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Put the bags on while the flower buds are still tightly closed, some even say before you can see the color of the petals. Some of the bees that pollinate tomatoes are very small, so even if the petals have just started to open, a bee could have been in there already.

Leave the bags on until you see a tiny fruit beginning to form. I usually put the entire blossom cluster in one bag and remove or re-bag any blossoms in the cluster that haven't set fruit when I take the bag off.

I have lots of other things blooming in the yard and it doesn't draw the bees away from the tomatoes.

If you aren't interested in saving seed from your tomatoes, or you don't care if one variety gets crossed with another, attracting pollinators won't hurt.

It makes no sense at all to attract pollinating insects if you are trying to avoid cross-pollination.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote