Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old July 7, 2007   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Question on Parade roses

We finally found our way to a new Trader Joe today (and came home with all sorts of stuff we didn't realize we needed) - Sue got a nice, small fragrant rose in a small pot, labeled Parade roses. Reading the tag was not all that informative (made it sound like more of an indoor rose, would melt if put outside, etc) - but that didn't sound quite right to me. Any one have experiences growing these outside? Do a gradual acclimation to sun? thanks.
Old July 9, 2007   #2
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Craig, I have never tried to grow roses from Trader Joes, so can't help you there. If you get no responses, I would check at the store you got it from. Maybe it's just because the T.J.'s I go to has a great crew, but they will do whatever they can to answer your questions. Very responsive. They may also have a web site. I have not checked, but it wouldn't hurt to try. As for the other goodies you came home with, it is a hazard. So many delicious things there. If Joes is a new place for you, check out the frozen veggies off season. They are amazingly good. They also have an excellent take back policy. I don't do it very often, but they make it easy. It's my favorite place to shop for quality. and no, I do not own any part of the company.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2007   #3
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

I had to pick up a few things at TJ's today, so I asked about the Parade roses. I was told people plant them outside all the time. Still, I don't know how consistently hot Raleigh is compared to Eugene, Oregon. Here I would plant any rose of any size out in in the best sun I could give it. Maybe you could put it in a pot and bury it? If it needs to be moved, you can just dig it up. My next door neighbor has several mini roses in her back yard, but she also has a very shaded back yard. I'm pretty sure her plants don't get even 8 hours of sun. I'll ask her the next time I see her. Don't know if she has Parade roses.
Old July 9, 2007   #4
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Hi Craig,
The Parade rose actually refers to a group of mini roses in different colors. They are cheap, so floral depts. of grocery stores, etc. sell them like disposable indoor plants. Though they are outdoor plants. Of course acclimation to the outdoors would be a good idea. I bought one at Wegmans(incredible grocery store, working their way towards you) a few years ago. It was pretty and grew well outside, but the one I bought just got too much black spot and I removed it. Being there are around 20 colors, yours may fair better.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2007   #5
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

I talked with my neighbor today about her mini roses. She says they get around 1.5 hours of full sun a day and a little filtered sunlight. She has large trees and a hedge in her back yard. They have actually grown bigger and all are in bloom. She has had them all for at least several years. She does treat for black spot sometimes.
Old July 11, 2007   #6
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

We've decided to put them on our deck under an umbrella - they get a bit of full sun, but are mostly shaded - they are living near the lettuce we just planted out (hoping for the rare summer crop to cohabitate the plates with our tomatoes!). thanks for the info. For our next trip to Trader Joe, we are going to bring a cooler! (if not a trailer...)
Old July 11, 2007   #7
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like your TJs has the same amazing selection of chocolates, beer, wine, and a neat variety of specialty items like they carry here. I've only been to my local TJs, so I don't know if there are any regional differences. Not a big place, but terrific. They have a section of the store where they offer samples every day. Take advantage of that. You'll learn a lot. They also have some amazingly good juices. Try them when they offer them! Enjoy.