Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old March 8, 2007   #1
Big_Red
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default What do you have for apple trees?

Last year I set out one each:
Dolgo Crab
Honey Crisp
Arkansas Black
Liberty
Winesap
Gala

All are doing well so far.
Big_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #2
redbrick
Tomatovillian™

Okay, here's my list: I have one tree each of Gala, Jonathon, Stayman, Giant Winesap, Smokehouse, Paradise, and Cherry Cox. Also grafted onto them are Ashmead's Kernel, Westfield-Seek-No-Further, Summer Sweet, Calville Blanc d'Hiver, and Sops-Of-Wine. I have a flowering crab (I don't remember the variety) and a crab wilder that I started from seed, just to see what I'd get.
Old May 18, 2007   #3
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

The following apple tree's have bloomed this spring:
Fireside
Honeygold
Chestnut Crab
Ashmead's Kernel
Black Oxford
Liberty
Baldwin
and I think Ribston Pippin..lost the tag(first yr. to bloom here).
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2007   #4
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

I have three dwarf Gala apple trees. It looks like we will get apples from two of them this year, they are still quite young.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2007   #5
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

once had an allotment site I was working, that was previously worked for thirty years by a well know gardner- and on this allotment was a lone apple tree,

In all the time I had the allotment I never realy took any notice of the tree, it flowered and fruited and they all dropped to the ground, so I used to gather them up in bagfulls and give them away, without ever trying one myself as they were a sort of patchy red and green colour and didnt look very sweet.

To cut a long story short- I eventually gave up the allotment, and about a year later I was talking to another old allotment holder- who asked me about the apple tree- he said do you know what you had there- so I said no, and he said it was one of the rarest apple trees in existance-it was called Reverent Wilkes, after an old clergyman in the 1800 era and as far as he knew there were only two in exsistance it was almost extinct= I was kicking myself afterwards .
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2007   #6
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I have Braeburn and a variety I got from a German handler calles simply (The Vitamin Apple). Ami
Old July 17, 2007   #7
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

good question. the farm we bought a few years ago, has 6 or 7 trees that are pretty old. one might be a yellow transparent. its a nice sweet eating apple. it gets soft if you wait too long to pick it. there are also quite a few wild trees around the property that were planted by deer. taste varies from spit out quick to very good. size varies from large crab apple to soft ball. i found one small tree in the back of the property last year with about a dozen apples on it that was very good. its fun sampling them. they may be no name apples, but most are good eating.

keith in calumet
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2007   #8
johno
Tomatovillian™

Did everyone know Redbrick just published an article on preserving antique apple cultivars?

I don't have any yet, but plan to start a small grove of apple trees, hopefully this fall...
johno is offline   Reply With Quote