Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old August 25, 2007   #1
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default splitting little fingers

i'm growing these in a 5 gal pail on the asphalt part of driveway in full sun all day. is little fingers a variety that's known to split? several have cracked or split. why?
i suspect too much water.
i fertilize 1x a week with nh fish and seaweed emulsion, 1x a month with oscomote. water 1 gallon per day. all other eggplants i've grown including classic this year never did this.

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2007   #2
GManess
Tomatovillian™

Tom,
I grew 22 varieties this year (Little Fingers was not one of them) and I drip 3/10's a gallon per day and have not had any of my eggs to split, sorry I couldn't be of any more help. Gary
GManess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2007   #3
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Yes, eggplant do split from too much water, especially when they have reached their full size and are ripe, just like tomatoes. The smaller varieties are especially susceptible, like little fingers. You have to pick them as soon as they reach maturity, especially if heavy rain (or watering) is imminent!
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2007   #4
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

little fingers are so small i am waiting for them to get bigger then i realize after a week that's it!

this is year 3 for eggplants in 5 gal pails. i grew 6 different varieties and none of the other 5 split. little fingers can load a plant with 10-15 eggplant but they are small, ie LITTLE fingers. i won't grow these again.

of the 6 varieties i have grown i like classic the best. fairly large, good yields, won't grow a white eggplant again too hard to see if all the skin is off. all the oriental long thin types are no big deal as you get long skinny fruits. ironicly, the "classic" look of classic suits me better, i'm sure black beauty would be fine too.

i don't have a grill so i can't grill these but if i did maybe i'd like the long thin ones better.

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2007   #5
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Tom,

I had some splitters on Waimenelo Long, a l-o-n-g curly eel-like eggplant that I thought was fun and pretty tasty though a bit foamy in texture.

I agree splitting relates to watering or rain.

Tom, if you haven't a grill you can get the same result on the barbecue or, easier still, in a pan... heat pan, spray oil on cut eggplant, thow salt in pan, put cut side down and brown,, turn and cook till there's some colour, and then get it out and do it again. Don't spray the pan with oil, too hard to clean, spray just the cut eggplant.

Oh, yeh, Prue is back in... Prue likes my yard.
Thanks for Prue, Tom. )
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote