Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 2, 2017   #1
Landisil
Tomatovillian™

Default The Saga Continues

It seems like an invasion took place last night. Observation this AM reveals some unwelcome guests...attached is a picture with the welcomed guests highlighted by colored circles. The identities of theses guests would be welcomed as well as how to un invite them or a least make them feel uncomfortable.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Insects.jpg (194.8 KB, 80 views)
Landisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2017   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Those are whiteflies and very hard to get rid of but not impossible. If they don't get too thick I don't worry about a few of them but if they start getting thick on the plant they will damage it and I believe they can move disease from one plant to the other. I use my Permethrin, Dawn and DE mix to thin them out in a hurry but you have to spray the undersides of the leaves thoroughly and it may take more than one treatment but be warned it will get rid of your beneficial insects as well. Another thing wait til late in the evening to spray as to not harm bees and try not to spray too many blossoms though you will have to spray some as the whiteflies sometimes like to gather on them.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2017   #3
Landisil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Those are whiteflies and very hard to get rid of but not impossible. If they don't get too thick I don't worry about a few of them but if they start getting thick on the plant they will damage it and I believe they can move disease from one plant to the other. I use my Permethrin, Dawn and DE mix to thin them out in a hurry but you have to spray the undersides of the leaves thoroughly and it may take more than one treatment but be warned it will get rid of your beneficial insects as well. Another thing wait til late in the evening to spray as to not harm bees and try not to spray too many blossoms though you will have to spray some as the whiteflies sometimes like to gather on them.

Bill
I have done the NEEM oil thing....used some premixed Natural Insecticides.. but it doesn't even slow them down. Today I picked up some 7 Dust Insecticide....didn't want to go that route...but I am not into feeding the insect world. So tomorrow...I will spray with 7.

Frank
Landisil is offline   Reply With Quote