Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old May 22, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Pea Pickin' Time And Other Updates

It's still picking time for Pea Bed #1 although it's coming to a close soon. A storm the other night had some wind that caused the top 2' of vines to flop over making picking a mess. Next year they will have a trellis similar to the one the climbing butterbeans have. So far we've gotten 3.5 lbs of shelled peas. This bed will be fallow for the summer.

Meanwhile, Pea Bed #2 is loading up with its first round of little pods so it will kick in about the time the first bed goes away. This bed will maybe get some flowers when the peas are gone or go fallow.

The bed of Spring Treat corn is throwing up tassels waaaay too early as it's only about 2' tall. That's never happened before. I think the big temp swings earlier might have caused this. We switched several times from very hot to cold. It was watered regularly so I don't think that had a hand in this. I guess we'll see if we get any ears.

The first round of cabbages (the first three on the left and right sides) are getting ready. I did cut the first Stonehead last night, second one on the left. Next will be the first Charleston Wakefield, third one on the right. The cabbages behind those are about three weeks away. And last evening I cut the last broccoli heads. The warm weather has put bolting into their minds. One head had to be tossed as it got really loose and was threatening to flower. We'll harvest side shoots a while before pulling the plants. Colossus field peas will follow in this bed.

This is where the spring planted carrots are. One each of Bolero, Envy and Yaya. Forgot to pull a Romance but most likely it's the same. They're at the 70 day mark from a 3/13 sowing so it won't be long. We'll eat what we want fresh and can the rest.

And finally, here's the collard and kale "trap crop" for the deer. I decided to let them have it so they wouldn't start munching on the bush beans. Now I think I will cut away all the munched stems, net the plants and see how they regrow. Meanwhile, last evening we put netting over the bean beds. It's always something!

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote