Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 13, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Amethyst Cream

We grew two of the Amethyst cream tomato plants this year. One is growing in our 5 year organically amended garden and is a huge IND. plant that is still producing tomatoes in over 95F temps. The other plant is less that 2' tall growing in clay with thick Bermuda grass and a weed/grass growing all around it. The grass is taller than it is, and it is still producing tomatoes. I wanted to see how it grew in all the worst conditions.

Amethyst cream tastes sweet and very good. I picked the one in the amended garden clean 6 days ago. I need to pick it again tomorrow morning. It is a must-grow in Texas for us.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #2
JoParrott

I would like to see a photo of it. Someone shared seeds with me and I sprouted a few but none survived transplanting.
Old July 13, 2015   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Pictures. The plants look like most other Indet. cherry plants - which looks awful in our garden at this time of year. As long as they keep producing - they're staying in-ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0001.JPG (90.1 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0003.JPG (85.8 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0004.JPG (103.7 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by AlittleSalt; July 13, 2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old July 13, 2015   #4
charline
Tomatovillian™

I just tasted my first amethyst cream yesterday and I like them very much. And they are so beautyful ! amazing color!
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #5
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Robert, do you have any problems with Amethyst Cream splitting? I love the taste but I have most of them split when I pick them so I eat them on the spot.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Charley, if I let them get over-ripe on the vine, yes they can split here. Not as bad as Sungold though. Sungold splits in the heat just like it does in the rain. The Amethyst cream in the picture are a little over-ripe. Looks like they will be for lunch today.
Old July 13, 2015   #7
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

They do have beautiful color, Robert. Anything that produces in this brutal heat is a keeper.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #8
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Robert,
I'm so glad you like them! Yes, here in the dry desert heat they are one of the few that will keep going no matter what. It's good to hear that they keep going in the Texas heat/humidity!
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #9
Jeanus
Tomatovillian™

Hmmmm might have to get me some of those. So far my cherries have not produced except the current cherry and that one is not sweet. Brown berry has a few tomatoes on it but they are definitely not round. Black cherry is a nil. I did get them in a little late so I will wait but I guess I need something that will produce in the heat. Limited room here.
Jeanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #10
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Robert, is it my imagination, or is the foliage all fuzzy?

Glad to hear they are working out so well for you!
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

A little fuzzy looking, but that might be the milk water I put on the plant a few days ago. There is a Bradley plant near it that if you look at the right angle - it looks like copper colored fuzz on the leaves.

This is the hottest day so far this year here. It's 102F in the shade. I'm not sure the plant is going to make it through many more days like this.