Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old February 10, 2009   #16
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

LQBerry - another hearty thanks for checking in! A description of Brandywine that I read in a book (Totally Tomatoes by Fred DuBose) in the mid 80s was essentially responsible for the heirloom tomato journey that I've been on.

Just for info - both Big Ben and Stump of the World have been growing out as potato leaf right from the time that they entered the SSE collection in the late 1970s/early 1980s. So there is clearly some work to do on cleaning up the information around some of Mr. Q's varieties.
Old February 10, 2009   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

LQ, I'm also delighted to see you here.

I know your grandfather was very religious b'c he wrote quotes from the Bible on the seed packs he sent to others.

Do you remember any aspects of his life that might relate to his religious activities?

I and some others have also assumed that he named Stump of the World based on a religious connection, that is, to Jesse and the stump of the earth. I have the relevant biblical references elsewhere, but not in my head right now.

And did you know that he gave his complete tomato seed collection to SSE? What a wonderful gesture and we're all the richer for that since that's where Brandywine (Sudduth/Quisenberry) came from and quite a few other varieties.
Old February 10, 2009   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Below are the biblical references I was referring to. I was discussing the naming of Stump of the World at a different message site and Keith M gave the following:

Isaiah 11:1
"There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse, and a branch shall grow out of his roots."
NIV version
"A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse;
from his roots a Branch will bear fruit. "
refers to the coming of the Messiah from the lineage of Abraham.

Jesus's lineage from Abraham and King David is discussed in Matthew.

King David was the son of Jesse.
Old February 10, 2009   #19
LQberry
Tomatovillian™

Default Thank you for all your kind words! :-)

PaBerry would be proud that he helped carry on the tomato tradition for future generations. He was very upset when he was admitted into the hospital and lost many of his tomato varieties. He was in his 90s and got a hernia working in his tomato gardens! When word got out he lost so many varieties, people from all over returned seeds to him so he could resume his Big Tomato Gardens. He was very touched by this wonderful gesture. SSE played a big role in that gesture.
He was a deeply religious man and I remember him writing Bible quotes on his seed packets. He also had an old printing press he used to print up seed packets. I remember him saying he 'felt closer to God in his garden than anywhere else'. I'm not sure what other roles religion played as far as his garden was concerned (naming varieties, etc.). I'll ask my parents & my uncle that question and get back to you.
He used to write out poems for me on any piece of paper he had handy. His favorite was "Darwin's Theory Blasted" and the one he gave me was written on the back of a 1983 subscription renewal form for Seed Savers Exchange! I've scanned it, but I'm not sure how I can post it for you guys. I could post it as a 'image' but without Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, I'm not sure if it would be big enough for you to read.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tbrndypkt.jpg (94.0 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg tbrndypktback.jpg (32.5 KB, 262 views)
LQberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2009   #20
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

'Pa Berry' would make a great name for a tomato!

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2009   #21
LQberry
Tomatovillian™

Hope this answers some questions.....
Grandpa's "Stump of the World" was regular leaf, but he renamed it "Big Ben" because he didn't like the name "Stump of the World".

So, Big Ben is the former Stump of the World (which is regular leaf) and the potato leaf is still known as Stump of the World.
LQberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2009   #22
SteveS
Tomatovillian™

LQberry,

Everyone here appreciates your clarification. I am sure everyone else is also curious? Since you are a member here, can we assume that you are the mater afficianado your grandpa was? And if so, are there any other varieties of which you are particularly fond?
SteveS
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2009   #23
zinnia11
Tomatovillian™

I just caught the tomato growing fever recently and have started my first tomato garden. I am so happy to have found this forum! I had to reply to this thread because I saw the name Quisenberry and my jaw dropped. I am a Quisenberry and my grandfather, John Quisenberry who died before I was born, grew up in rural Virginia. His father and mother were farmers, but until today I never knew about a famous Ben Quisenberry. It is such an unusual name so I have to wonder if there is any relationship.

It gives me hope that I might have a little success growing tomatoes. Now, I have to get hold of some Quisenberry Brandywines. They sound delightful.
zinnia11 is offline   Reply With Quote