Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 29, 2015   #31
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

And another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (187.3 KB, 375 views)
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2015   #32
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

And the third
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (241.3 KB, 401 views)
Old September 29, 2015   #33
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

They look really great! Big and vigorous already. What kind of lights do you use?
Karen

Last edited by KarenO; September 29, 2015 at 08:24 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2015   #34
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
They look really great! Big and vigorous already. What kind of lights do you use?
Karen
They were sold at Home Depot as grow lights. Fluorescent, 2 small diameter tubes, on bases that have chains. That is all I can tell you, epxcept they were in the $35 range.
Had them for 4 years now.
Old September 29, 2015   #35
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Same here pretty much. All I use are regular daylight florecent tubes. They work just fine for seedlings
K

Last edited by KarenO; September 29, 2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old October 3, 2015   #36
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Today is day 19 from sowing the seeds. They look so perfect, I think. I have them in full sunshine about 9 hrs per day. Oupr weather is finally cooperating too, it finally got a little cooler, high of 88F, and very low humidity, at least by our standards. The tomatoes are happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (276.1 KB, 374 views)
Old October 3, 2015   #37
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

they are growing so fast! nothing like real sunshine. Mine never get to see the real sun until they are much bigger because it is too cold here in April when mine are that size. totally saves the hassle and danger of hardening off tender seedlings too. That's fantastic progress for under 20 days from sowing. At this rate they will have their first blooms by the end of the month for sure
Old October 3, 2015   #38
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
they are growing so fast! nothing like real sunshine. Mine never get to see the real sun until they are much bigger because it is too cold here in April when mine are that size. totally saves the hassle and danger of hardening off tender seedlings too. That's fantastic progress for under 20 days from sowing. At this rate they will have their first blooms by the end of the month for sure
I think you are right about the first blooms. We really do have an opposite type of growing season than the rest of the continent. Here, there is never a heat mat needed, and we do our best growing as it gets cooler!
I might get fruit by November if they are early. Might even be able to send you the first group of F2 seeds as a Christmas present!
Old October 3, 2015   #39
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

OMG! that's true! I think they will be early-ish
KO
Old October 15, 2015   #40
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

These beautiful strong healthy 4 plants are looking great! 3 of them are about 9" tall, and ready to give their final pot, 1 is about 1 week behind.

31 days since I sowed seeds. Fast little buggars! Heee!

Karen, I will pot up 2 just to be safe, which 2 would you like? Your choice, my friend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (213.5 KB, 338 views)
Old October 15, 2015   #41
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Marsha! they all look like keepers to me, all very healthy and growing beautifully! If I had to choose, I would select the two on the left just because they are appear to be the most vigorous and sturdy of the group but There really is not much difference and they all will do well I am sure.
What is your prediction as to how many days old they will be when the first bloom opens? My guess is another 2 weeks so around 45 days from sowing. that might be a little optimistic but I am feeling lucky about these being quite early.
So excited to watch them grow! Awesome job on the seedlings Marsha, they look perfect.
Karen
Old October 15, 2015   #42
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

And PS, I love your granite backsplash too
K
Old October 15, 2015   #43
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Marsha! they all look like keepers to me, all very healthy and growing beautifully! If I had to choose, I would select the two on the left just because they are appear to be the most vigorous and sturdy of the group but There really is not much difference and they all will do well I am sure.
What is your prediction as to how many days old they will be when the first bloom opens? My guess is another 2 weeks so around 45 days from sowing. that might be a little optimistic but I am feeling lucky about these being quite early.
So excited to watch them grow! Awesome job on the seedlings Marsha, they look perfect.
Karen
Thank you very much for the nice things you are saying. It is important to me that we succeed, so they have been getting alot of care, such as preventive spraying with copper fungicide and BT mix. We had lots of rain in Sept. And early October, and always have caterpillar pressure. I will pot up the 2 left side ones. I have others that have been potted up for 11 days now, and are bud presenting though not open yet, except one, so it will be fun to see when these form blossoms. I'm having a good time!
Old November 1, 2015   #44
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Day 48 from sowing seeds

Here are my 2 strong and healthy plants, with blossoms, which I just buzzed with my electric toothbrush. Heee!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (278.8 KB, 310 views)
Old November 1, 2015   #45
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Day 48 continued

Here's the other one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (391.0 KB, 310 views)