Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 18, 2018   #31
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_go View Post
Chocolate Beefsteak was absolute best of the best in term of flavour.
And this is not just my and my husband opinion - the raccoons in the area can confirm that too. They were consistently devouring the fruits from Chocolate Beefsteak plant ignoring all other ripe tomatoes... I had to isolate and wrap the Chocolate Beefsteak plant in bird's netting trying to keep raccoons away from it - but hey ripped it and continued to steal the fruits. At the end, I started to harvest the semi-ripe Chocolate Beefsteak tomatoes and let them ripen in the house, so I can enjoy them too. Those beasts have a d amn good taste!
HA!

Our Golden Retriever will only eat Sungold and Pink Princess. If he catches any others he drops them quick.

The possums, on the other hand, seem to eat anything ripe.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2018   #32
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Disliking black tomatoes is akin to heresy.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2018   #33
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Hahaha. Absolutely right.
Old December 19, 2018   #34
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
HA!

Our Golden Retriever will only eat Sungold and Pink Princess. If he catches any others he drops them quick.

The possums, on the other hand, seem to eat anything ripe.
It's the same here! Our tomato connoisseur, Abbey (a yellow lab mix) much prefers Sungold to the other cherry varieties and if I'm not "getting It" she will go and sit close to the Sungold plant to remind me. Guess I need to try her on Pink Princess some time .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2018   #35
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post

One man's heresy is another man's hakarl.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....5&postcount=16
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2018   #36
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Most green and black tomatoes should go down the rabbit hole.

With respect, I'm sitting here thinking about all the great tomatoes you are missing. My first GWR that I truly liked was from the dwarf project and it changed my mind forever on the subject. I had tried Cherokee Green, but Kelly Green and Emerald Giant were the real mind changers. After that, I discovered a whole new universe of flavors. And, just for the record, Black tomatoes are actually mostly purple tomatoes to me. The most recent ones are usually just a pink or red with a lot of antho in the skin.

So, Tormato, for someone who distributes a lot of happiness to other with your MMMM project each year, I feel a bit sorry for you with your world of tomato likes limited like you say. But, in the end, what a person likes or doesn't is purely a personal quality that mustn't be diminished by others. To each his own.

Again, as I said, with respect.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2018   #37
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
With respect, I'm sitting here thinking about all the great tomatoes you are missing. My first GWR that I truly liked was from the dwarf project and it changed my mind forever on the subject. I had tried Cherokee Green, but Kelly Green and Emerald Giant were the real mind changers. After that, I discovered a whole new universe of flavors. And, just for the record, Black tomatoes are actually mostly purple tomatoes to me. The most recent ones are usually just a pink or red with a lot of antho in the skin.

So, Tormato, for someone who distributes a lot of happiness to other with your MMMM project each year, I feel a bit sorry for you with your world of tomato likes limited like you say. But, in the end, what a person likes or doesn't is purely a personal quality that mustn't be diminished by others. To each his own.

Again, as I said, with respect.

Don't feel sorry for me. I've trialed more than 1,000 varieties, with usually 50 to 100+ new ones added every year.

It's the "earthy" flavor of many, but not all, black (purple, as you say) tomatoes that I dislike. Cherokee Purple, for example, is a great tomato without the earthiness, in my garden.

And, it's the "spicy" flavor of many, but not all, green tomatoes that I dislike. Green Giant, for example, is great tomato, in my garden.

I'll keep trialing them, and likely not like most of them. And, I'll keep trialing all the other sizes, shapes, colors, etc...maybe with the exception of very early (~55 DTM, or less) determinate tomatoes. With those, I've yet to find a single one that I consider to have very good flavor.
Old January 6, 2019   #38
daninpd
Tomatovillian™

For me it's: Kellogg's Breakfast, Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye and Cherokee Purple. In that order. Year after year. And as soon as I typed that my brain started going "but...but...but".
And, Carolyn I'm growing Danko again this year, originally from you. I remember it as being really prolific and tasty.
Old January 7, 2019   #39
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

Someone must say this....They're all good...some are a little better.
Harry Cabluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2019   #40
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Pink Pioneer is a great one to try. Also Owen's Purple, Black from Tula. Thessaloniki and Aker's West Virginia are great red tomatoes. The only GWR I grow is Aunt Ruby's German Green.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2019   #41
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cabluck View Post
Someone must say this....They're all good...some are a little better.

SANDPINT

NIRE des CSEBEAUF

REISETMATE

There are many MRE.
Old January 9, 2019   #42
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
Black tomatoes are my favourites!

Rosella Purple Dwarf - mmmmmmm.
Rosella Purple Dwarf, I grow them in the earth box containers, they are very good.
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019   #43
gardenmermaid
Tomatovillian™

I definitely agree with what others have said about individual tastes as well as growing conditions. I have a friend across town that is a tomato fanatic like me and does tomato tasting events every year. With both of us growing from 50-100+ varieties each year, we always have a few varieties that we both grow in the same year and when we taste the same variety at the same time from her garden and from mine they taste like two different varieties. It has been very interesting to taste the (sometimes considerable) difference between our tomatoes.
ALso, it rarely fails that when there is a variety I've grown that I think is just bland, almost a 'spitter', that will be my mom's favorite variety that year. AND VICE VERSA! It is hilarious, and makes paring down the favorites almost impossible!
That being said, there are two varieties that stand out in my mind as being the favorites in my garden and at the tomato tasting every year they are grown and those are:
1. Ananas Noir
2. Limbaugh's Legacy aka Fred Limbaugh's Pink Potato Top

Never had a bad one from either of those. There are many others I've tried and loved, including Lucid Gem, Arbuznyi, Large Barred Boar, Kellogg's Breakfast, Thomesol White, Russian Queen and several different dwarfs and cherries, but none have had as many trials to know whether they will be consistent favoritesl yet.
gardenmermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019   #44
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

3 varieties I will suggest:

Medovaya Kaplya
Japanese Pink Cherry
Rebel Yell

Two of those are pink varieties - there is something about pink varieties that we across the world like more than others. If you want the best, grow PWR varieties is my experience.

I can add countless varieties of PWR that tastes great.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; January 13, 2019 at 02:49 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019   #45
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

I keep coming back to:
Stump of the World
Wins All
Cherokee Purple
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote