Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old June 4, 2014   #1
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Default Should I fertilize my Soybeans?

I treated my Edamame seed with a general purpose inoculant when I planted in Late April, but my plants are only about 12 inches tall and are progressively looking nitrogen deficient. Should I assume the inoculant didn't take and just fertilize them? Or be more patient? Some of them are starting to flower and set pods.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2014   #2
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Stvrob,
I fertilize peas even though I inoculate. I would give them a dose.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2014   #3
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Thanks James. There is some kind of root nodules, but perhaps they aren't effective with soybeans. I think I will stop trying to grow soy after this year, I haven't had much success over three seasons now.
Old June 7, 2014   #4
HiPoha
Tomatovillian™

I have soybean seeds bought last year that did well while they were fresh. I still have a half pound of them and this year they are just not growing. My cucumbers are not doing well this year too. Not sure what it could be. I am sure I have prepared my soil well enough for them. Tomatoes and other plants are doing well this year.
HiPoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2014   #5
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I wonder, in Hawaii you might need to be extra careful to select a variety adapted to shorter day conditions.
Old June 9, 2014   #6
HiPoha
Tomatovillian™

Hello Stvrob, yes , here in Hawaii, the mainland varieties don't seem to do well. The soybeans I planted were the Kahala variety that is supposed to grow here. It just seems odd that this year they are not growing. The seeds are only a year old and don't show signs of deterioration. Maybe it is the wrong time to plant or the genetics in them don't like the current weather conditions.
HiPoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2014   #7
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I don't know. Did you save any seed from the previous season where you had success? I had seed leftover from last year and it germinated fine.