Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old 2 Days Ago   #31
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Salt, you should ask, if they've got something you want!
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #32
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Last night, I only replied about the car part of your post. It was a very busy day of going to the mechanic/parts store/bank/loan place/bank/loan place/parts store/mechanic/...

Today is a new day, so I started looking up Fort Knox peppers. Getting info on that variety is like figuring out how to get gold out of Fort Knox So far, I've found that it is a golden yellow bell pepper. The Burpee site no longer lists it.
Fort Knox is a container pepper, yellow, small fruited mini bell about the size of a golf ball.

In my garden, inground, Alma Paprika was a large 3-4 foottall and wide bushy productive plant. I think a large stable container would serve you better than a small pot.

Do you have any whisky barrel or large planters that you could use for 2-4 varieties?

- Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; 2 Days Ago at 01:13 AM. Reason: Changed my mind, larger than a golf ball but not full sized.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #33
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

I will think about it more Nan.

I have somewhere near as many pepper seed varieties as I do tomato seed varieties. So why am I not sharing pepper seeds so much? What I have learned about growing peppers doesn't agree with what I've read on so many sites. It is safe to say that most of us know that tomato plants cross pollinate causing new hybrids. Peppers cross pollinate x10+ compared to tomatoes.

I don't know if the pepper seeds I have gotten through trades or the ones I've grown myself are new hybrids/crosses. I don't want to send others crosses - unless they understand that it's a possibility.

The other thing I have learned is what I have read countless times about pepper seeds having a 2 year viability life is completely wrong. In 2016, I grew seeds from 2007 that Worth sent me. I still have a lot of those seeds Worth sent to me. I would imagine they would still be viable.

I have thought about a seed giveaway type thing where those participating are knowing that they are trying to grow 10+ year old seeds. I don't know if that would be of interest?
Old 2 Days Ago   #34
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Salt, that’s why I label the seeds I share with op (open-pollinated) there’s always the chance of a cross. That’s why I collect seeds from more than 1 fruit and mix them, so that they are not all crossed. Share all the pepper seed you want

Talking about car problems. Someone sideswiped me hard in my 1 year old Forester. Its at the dealer body shop, and the repair estimate is 8,500.00. Their insurance is paying for it. I’m also going to file a loss of value claim.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #35
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Salt, I'm not suggesting that you give OP pepper seed to the MMMM. Gary does like the peppers to be bagged or isolated. Just put whatever you like, peppers included, on your wish list for MMMM. It will cut down on your seed bill if you can get them through MMMM. The wish list is a separate part of the swap, separate from the Categories part.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #36
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
Salt, that’s why I label the seeds I share with op (open-pollinated) there’s always the chance of a cross. That’s why I collect seeds from more than 1 fruit and mix them, so that they are not all crossed. Share all the pepper seed you want

Talking about car problems. Someone sideswiped me hard in my 1 year old Forester. Its at the dealer body shop, and the repair estimate is 8,500.00. Their insurance is paying for it. I’m also going to file a loss of value claim.
I agree, and do save pepper seeds from many different peppers. I overdo it on saving seeds.

Sorry to hear about your car problems. Wow, $8,500, and I understand the loss of value claim.

I am so out of it - probably to the point of living in yesteryear. We used to drive cars and work on them ourselves until it was no longer worth putting in a new engine or stabbing a new transmission. I still have an engine pulling A frame... and a cherry picker. No, they haven't been used in years.

Going back to pepper seeds - some of the accidental hybrids have tasted very good. I guess I should share those seeds - it's better than tossing them.