Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old February 11, 2008   #16
Lomatia
Tomatovillian™

We call them climbing beans in Australia. There are limited numbers of varieties as beans are a prohibited import so we can protect the bean seed industry.
I grow Lazy Wife, Giant of Stuttgart and Natural Salt. Others available are Blue Lake, Epicure, Kentucky Wonder, Mammoth Golden Cluster and Purple King. One catalogue has Climbing Princess, Mostoller Wild Goose and Zebra listed as well. There are also odd little varieties grown by European immigrants that were probably smuggled in in earlier times but these are not freely available.

In Australia we have quite a range of Bush French Beans - both for home use and commercial production.
Lomatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2008   #17
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Check out: www.purcellmountainfarms.com

LarryD
Old February 11, 2008   #18
robin303
Tomatovillian™

I buy and plant Kentucky Wonder every year planted 8" apart and have to give them away. Plant them and run for cover.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2008   #19
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Quite a collection of beans at Purcell Mountain Farms site. Odd, though, that they put a ® after the word Anasazi. I don't see how that word can be registered in any way. In any case, it's a very cheap source of seeds!
Old February 12, 2008   #20
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

If you check out the beans on Sandhill, please consider the Blue Marbutt. This is a broadly adapted bean with unique color and very good flavor. It can be used as a fresh snap or for canning. Jeminez is also a good bean but the flavor is a bit unique to me.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2008   #21
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Ruth, cooking the beans a long, long time has nothing to do with the variety of bean as far as I know. It is an old fashioned way of cooking green beans, guaranteed to turn almost anyone into a vegetable hater. Beans were cooked with a hunk of fat back/salt pork/bacon and some water for one or two HOURS (yes, that is right - hours!) until they were "tender." Both my Yankee and my Southern grandmas cooked green beans this way, so it is not a regional thing. Leftover, perhaps, from the days of Leather Britches Beans*, which really did take that long to cook and then some.
Interesting, I hadn't run across any northerners cooking them in the hour+ range but I guess I'm not surprised. Actually, what my sister said was that her husband's family often cooked them in a pressure cooker. My guess is that you could strain what they got out of the pressure cooker and you'd have a real good facsimile of baby food.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2008   #22
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

Here in Southern Tennessee i have great sucess with beans. I plant Rattlesnake, White Macasline, Kentucky Wonder and Bluelake. All very good
GIZZARDFARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2008   #23
epiphanista
Tomatovillian™

One of my best friends recently married and moved to his state of Mississipi (from CA) - she was in charge of Thanksgiving dinner this past year, and cooked the green beans al dente, a bit squeaky. One of the (local MS) guests at the dinner said to her,

"Hawney, 'round here we cook ar beans for ARRRRS."

I don't think he gave a rats pattootie what variety of bean they were!

~Thalia
epiphanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2008   #24
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

My friend who makes the "all day beans" is from W. Va. For me, it depends on what the beans will be used for. In a salad, I like them just barely cooked. If I'm eating them hot with some bacon and onion, I like them cooked about 15 minutes. Except for soups, 15 minutes is about the longest I can stand to cook them.

The best bean I grew last year was McCaslan. All the others were very stringy. This year we're growing Supermarconi. Also Rocquencourt as a bush bean.
Old February 14, 2008   #25
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Rocquencourt has lovely purple-pink flowers, really attractive in the veggie patch. I grew them this season but sowed way too late to get beans. At least the flowers were nice!
Old February 14, 2008   #26
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

My seed order from Sandhill came today. I have Uncle Steve's Italian Pole Bean, Dragon Langerie (Dragon Tongue), and Neckargold. Also Vermont Cranberry from another source.

Anyone grow Neckargold? Opinions?

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote