Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old December 29, 2014   #16
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
I never cut off the lead of the mat but I connect the lead out of the thermostat to what we call a female plug in French, and I connect the male plug of the mat to that female plug. I hope I have been clear enough, if not I think some helpful Tomatovilian will be kind enough to reword that post !
I think I understand. So I need to buy a female plug in addition. Thanks very much!
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2014   #17
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

You don't need to cut the plug off,I'll show you how in a few days, it's very simple.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2014   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

One thing I would like to discus here it the contact (what the guy in the video calls a switch) rating on the thermostats.

The 120 volt models that have been shown here have a contact/switch rating of 10 amps.
The largest heat mat I looked at (20X48 consumed 107 watts, this would be .89 amps.
We will just call it 1 amp to be on the safe side.

So with this said a person could go to the big box store and buy a 20 foot 16 gauge extension cord.
This cord with the above heat mat will have a voltage drop of 0.167 with load voltage being 119.833 volts AC.
The maximum currant draw on a 20 foot 16 gauge extension cord is 13 amps.

If you have one already and dont know what it is look on the sides of the cord.
It will say 16 AWG all along its side.(AWG stads for gauge).
You can then cut the thing in half in what ever place they wanted and they would then have the male and female ends that were mentioned before.

You would use the female end to wire into the dry contact/switch and the male end to plug into the power outlet and the other cut end to power the thermostat and supply the power to the heat mat by way of the contact/switch.
The hot wire will be switched through the contacts.

To tell the difference in what wire is hot and which one is neutral.
The hot will be black or any color but white or green.
White is always reserved for neutral and green is always ground.
The neutral will be solid white or black with a stripe down its side.
Neutral is what the guy in the video calls common.

When you cut the cord strip back to where you have about 9 inches to play with you can then use part of the 9 inches to make your jumper from the switch to the hot side of the thermostat.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2014   #19
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I'm the OP and that just convinced me to buy the Hydrofarm. I know nothing of grounding, etc. I wanted to save money but not if it means risking injury for $30. Useful info for those that are confident in their electric skills. The unit looks very reliable. Maybe someday ....

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2014   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Worth, I'm the OP and that just convinced me to buy the Hydrofarm. I know nothing of grounding, etc. I wanted to save money but not if it means risking injury for $30. Useful info for those that are confident in their electric skills. The unit looks very reliable. Maybe someday ....

- Lisa
Lisa I was actually hoping you would read this.
You know what I can do but even if it were me I would spend the 30 dollars too.
I dont like the idea of having open wires so I would have to have a box for it to go in.
By the time it is all said and done you would have spent 30 dollars.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; December 30, 2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old January 4, 2015   #21
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Not sure of safety features although I have been using it for many years, I use electrical blankets bought on clearance sale many years ago. Large surface, fairly good temp control, once in a hoophouse on a cold night I drape entire blanket over the shelves. It does the trick every time. I am not growing for markets though, just myself and giveaway seedlings/ annual large plant swap/ which usually amounts to couple of thousands per season.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2015   #22
loulac
Tomatovillian™

I suppose the electric blanket you are talking about was designd for beds. let me add that it should be entirely spread out, never folded, which would break the insulation of the wires inside. Your spreading on shelves looks safe. Isn't the temperature too high? I think you use a thermometer to check it.
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2015   #23
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Default Thermostat instructions

Hi everyone I'm finally getting to this032.jpg,sorry it's taken so long,first of all go to amazon and buy a digital thermostat,005.jpg011.jpgthey're about $14.00, then decide what kind of box you want to mount it in,I just used a screw or nail on plastic box from big box stores and while your there pick up a double face plate,some 14 or 16 gauge stranded wire [it's easier to bend] a duplex outlet,wire nuts,romex connector,and extension cord with ground,it should be 14 or 16 gauge003.jpg,now the fun begins.First step is to lay out the size of hole to cut in the face plate,012.jpgcenter it exactly over where the switch goes,it needs to be 11/8" wide x 2 3/4" long,you can cut it out using a fine tooth jigsaw blade or a dremel type tool,once you get that cut out remove the little orange clips on sides of thermostat007.jpg by pressing and sliding off the end,now stick it in the hole you just cut and reinstall orange clips[,nice and snug,should look like this014.jpg next you need to do a little mod to the blue box in order for it to fit,if you look at this picture closely016.jpg017.jpg018.jpg019.jpg you'll be able to see what needs to be done,I used a dremel tool with a spiral cutter,there's lots of ways to do it.Now that you have that done you can remove the knock-out on the back of the box and mount your romex connector in the hole,now it's time for wiring it up,if you follow my pictures001.jpg025.jpg026.jpg027.jpg028.jpg029.jpg you will end up with one of the outlets that is always hot for like putting a timer in it for your lights and the other outlet will be where you plug in your germination mat,once you have the wires all hooked up[Note: BE SURE TO REMOVE THE LITTLE CONNECTING TAB BETWEEN THE TWO SCREWS ON BOTH SIDES OF OUTLET OR ELSE IT WON"T WORK ]021.jpg022.jpg just stuff everything in the box and put the two face plate screws in and plug it in and stand back and admire,032.jpg033.jpg036.jpgthere that was EASY
Old January 11, 2015   #24
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Great tutorial! Thanks so much for putting that together!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2015   #25
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Your welcome, I trust it might be of some help to others, when I have a little bit of time I'll try to post some pictures of my germination set up,it might be of interest to some.
Old January 12, 2015   #26
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
Definitely post your germination setup.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015   #27
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

My new heat mat did not come with a thermostat, of course. Are there drawbacks to germinating seeds (especially tomato) without a thermostat? Sorry if this has been covered already....
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
My new heat mat did not come with a thermostat, of course. Are there drawbacks to germinating seeds (especially tomato) without a thermostat? Sorry if this has been covered already....
The drawback would be the heat mat over heating the seeds and killing them.
Myself I dont even see the need for heat mats they sprout just fine without them.
Whatever your room temperature is in the house is what the temperature of the seeds will be.

Worth
Old January 18, 2015   #29
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

W...thanks for that. I did think that was the case. However, you guys were bent on spending my pension check! If I use the mat...perhaps it should be turned off during warm days/nights. The dome sure keeps it damp inside!
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015   #30
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
I found I did not need to use a heat mat on tomato seeds, only peppers. I'm cheap an did not want to spring for a thermostat but I did put a little thermometer gadget to see how hot it was getting... it was getting HOT!! So I elevated everything above the mat now to make sure nothing gets fried by putting spacers.

This is the little gadget I put in my humidity chamber to see how hot it was getting.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80277004/

Last edited by luigiwu; January 18, 2015 at 03:23 PM.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote