Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old February 27, 2018   #46
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Loulac, im not sure if your asking questions, or commenting, but I thought I was thorough in my post. Ill address this point by point. Seems you have some doubts about my intentions and the how and why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
I think there's a huge waste of heat under the cables. Why not buy insulating panels -styrofoam - in the building industry, about one inch thick.
This was just a quick and dirty test. It had the added benefit to get the plug trays through the cold night. Matter of fact, I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOaks View Post
Since we have some cold weather coming back, I figured now is the time. This is a not permanent install. Just a test. Further tests will be needed, but so far its looking good.
I also said:

Quote:
Loosely covered with a scrap of greenhouse plastic. So far the results were promising. During the day, when it was only in the low 50's outside, the bench topped out at about 72.
Quote:
Another suggestion : the heat will be concentrated above the cable. I would bury it in half an inch of sand.
I said this, in response to Rajun's comment:

Quote:
You bring up a good point. In the end, I *think* I want to build a bench that contains either sand or pea gravel, with the heat cable about 1/4 inch deep. Something like that.
Being that I plan to build a bench that contains sand or pea gravel, something will have to be in the bottom of that bench to contain the contents. I assumed that something like foam was implied and understood.

Quote:
A thermostat looks compulsory unless you check the temperature constantly and are ready to switch the cable on and off 24 hours a day.
I did say:

Quote:
Im thinking if this was really tightened up, it would work much better. Will have to look into a thermostat for it.

Quote:
500 watts is impressive when a 60 ft long gardening heating cable only burns 90 watts...
I said this:

Quote:
Several years ago I bought a 100 foot long gutter heat cable. The kind that is designed to keep ice from forming on the roof/gutter line. Its been in my stash, packed away. I want to say its 500 watt. But I could be wrong.
So, its a de-icing cable, rated at 5 watts per foot, not a "gardening heating cable, that is 60ft". Here is the exact product in question:

https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Heat-ADK...=easy+heat+100

Did I miss anything?
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #47
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

The seedling house is filling up. I have really moved towards the point where as soon as a tray has any significant germination, out it goes.

This Fall I hope to start constructing a germination chamber. Make the move less troublesome. The chamber will stay in the seedling house. Not in my house. Thats the plan anyways.

Out they go. Also makes watering much, much easier. I have a Dramm 1000PL water breaker. Love it.

The other side.

The last batch of mass sewn tomato and pepper plants. All others have been sewn in the plug trays.

The Sunny Smile Sunflowers coming along. Some spotty germ., hoping the rest pop up. Another week or two, and I will probably sew some more. I did 72 pots originally.

The grasses in the background are Blue Lirirope. We have a raised flower bed, these were taken by root division. Also, using recycled soil. So there is very little money in these.

Plug trays all lined up.

Basil popping up.

Alyssum "Royal Carpet".

Hard to see, but this is Portulaca. Dont recall the variety off the top of my head. Also have oregano just starting to surface.

Going to be very busy quiet soon..
Old February 27, 2018   #48
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Loulac, im not sure if your asking questions, or commenting... Did I miss anything?
I was just commenting hoping I could help you save time, money and our beloved tomatoes. As I have been using heating pads and cables for about 40 years I just meant to share my experience.

Quote:
its a de-icing cable, rated at 5 watts per foot, not a "gardening heating cable, that is 60ft". Here is the exact product in question:

https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Heat-ADK...=easy+heat+100
500 watts are 500 watts, whether found in a de-icing cable or a garden one. Amazon quite rightly suggests buying a thermostat. Planning an installation carefully will help guessing its cost and avoiding adding corrections later.

All the best
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2018   #49
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Well now, things have changed for the "FourOaks Seedling Operation".

I have just become a member of a Market that is open year round!! Every Saturday, with the exception of the Sat. between Christmas and New Years. During the warmer season they also have a Wednesday Market.

This changes everything. I need so sew more seeds. Part of me is sad to leave my first market. I got my feet wet there. But, it is what it is. This would also give me the ability to sell cold crops.

Time to get busy.
Old March 1, 2018   #50
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Oh boy, congratulations on your "graduation".
You're gonna be a busy bee now but diversifying your operation will help sales. Good thing you have that extra area to till up!

BTW, it's good seeing your photos again.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2018   #51
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
Oh boy, congratulations on your "graduation".
You're gonna be a busy bee now but diversifying your operation will help sales. Good thing you have that extra area to till up!

BTW, it's good seeing your photos again.
My graduation is rather self inflicted. Yeah diversifying helps the income stream. More options for me to toy with then what I had before. Im still undecided about the garden area. Had 3 sections in mind, but havent settled on any of them yet. And now, with moving into more plant sales..... decisions decisions.

Glad you found your way over here.
Old May 2, 2018   #52
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Do your self a favor ,if not already.Some soft wheel(air or solid filled no flat) crude pull Dolly’s so when the trips back and forth become time consuming.Narrow enough for isles.Guys here have tandems maybe four five,linked little John Deere tractor.In a ironic twist,we use a shielded wrap around the 3|4 water line if the line travels thru Air Conditioning in the home or especially office above the the ceiling tile,the water is so cold in a run it might take a minute or two to get from the heater.Take a look,it should loosen up the ice,comes 12 volt with knockdown transformer.Solar panels is making big news down here.

Last edited by kurt; May 2, 2018 at 11:46 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote