Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 30, 2006   #1
creister
Tomatovillian™

Default hardening off question

I have a question about hardening off seedlings. Once you start the process of hardening, do the plants remain outside all day? My understanding is to expose them to about 2 hrs. direct sunlight the first day, and then increase about 2 hrs. for a week. Moving them into shaded or dappled areas for the remainder of the day. Leave them outside at night as well, covering up if there is a chance of frost. Am I on the right track?
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Yes you're on the right track.

Limit sun and wind exposure the first few days and then move them to partial sun and complete the process in about a week, or so.

And do it when you feel the weather is settled since all you do by taking them back in is to halt what you've accomplished by the hardening off process to that point.

Sometimes here in the north we just cannot predict the weather, ahem, and so plants outside need to be protected from frost possibilities or heavty rains, or whatever, but in TX I don't think you should have frost problems now.
Old March 30, 2006   #3
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

I am afraid there is probably as many ways to harden off seedlings as there are to plant them.
I take the weather into consideration and the size of the seedlings. Sometimes they can stay out a few hours but sometimes if it gets warm and windy I must go slower. I see what the plants look like...check them and make sure they are watered when you begin. As soon as they start to look wilty or badgered I bring them in...that can be from 1/2 hour to 3 hours...
Varieties matter too. Right now I am hardening off some older varieties and they can only stay out about 30 min....I have a tray of dwarfs that stay out 4 hours and still look nice and happy.
I haul mine back and forth as we have huge temperature swings at night, and can expect a freeze while still hardening off.
Right now I am just hardening off for the cold frame...I can't start hardening off the main tomatoes until mid May.
It generally takes a week for me to get mine comfortable and wind is a big factor for me so I can't leave them out as long as some.
If you have the time...slower has always been better in my experience.
Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2006   #4
melody
Tomatovillian™

We were 80 degrees today with a stiff breeze blowing...still in the 30's at night. Mine go out during the day in a sheltered spot, but come in at night.

My hoop house is unheated...(couldn't afford natural gas for it this season) My little guys will be headed out there sometime next week...got fans to keep it a balmy 78 degrees during the day...and hopefully at night, we won't be too cold.

I've been gradually working them up to the all day stay that they had today...the wind was just brutal and there's thunderstorms coming tonite. They're inside in the utility room along with the peppers and eggplants.
melody is offline   Reply With Quote