Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old March 3, 2013   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Pilot Bread

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?NJVJD 26 February 2013 Pilot Bread. Quinoa,poppy seeds, sunflower seeds, buckwheat flour, whole\n wheat flour,flax seeds,corn
Seeds are generally broken by blending, then mixed with whole grain flour.A dough is kneaded, made into a roll, and cut into buns and cooked at 375 for 30 minutes on both sides to insure through cooking.This is a nourishing replacement for the typical bread.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ACCQE 3 December 2012. Pilot Bread, Wheat,quinoa,sunflower, pumpkin.
Pilot bread was made using whole grain wheat flour,sunflower,and quinoa. Called pilot bread, since it is very hard, with most of the moisture removed and has to be softened in a steamer,microwave,or dipped in liquid.This means it can be kept for long periods at ambient temperatures.(Hardtack) if you like)
The flour was made from whole wheat grains using a Wonder Mill flour grinder. The sunflower and quinoa seeds were beat in a blender with water.Pumpkin juice was used for a liquid.The mixture was kneaded into a ball, and rolled into a strip and cut into pieces. The pieces were placed on a teflon pan greased with butter.The pieces were cooked at 375 for 30 minutes, then flipped over and baked again at 375 for 30 minutes. This is to insure through cooking in the centre. The quantity depicted is about a 8 day supply for one person.The pilot bread is stored in the refrigerator or vacuum packed or frozen as desired.At room temperature, vacuum packed, it will keep about ten days or more before molding dependent upon the inherent moisture present. Pictures depict the process.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2013   #2
Akelei
Tomatovillian™

who needs a hard bread? I make bread 3 times a week,I like a fresh one. Will try to modificate my bread recipe with a small amount of milled quinoa.
Akelei
Akelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2013   #3
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

It is not hard. One minute of less in a microwave and it is soft like a bagel. Also the ingredients are whole or as natural as on can get. But to each his own.
Old March 16, 2013   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'll get right to it and make some for my life boat that I dont have for my ship I dont have.

I'm with Akelei, I only like fresh baked bread but these may go good with Limburger cheese, onion Braunschweiger a good shot of kirschwasser and a good dark beer.

Anybody want a kiss.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2013   #5
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Durgan, they're not hard after getting zapped in the microwave. I made a batch and tossed about 3/4's of them in the freezer, pre-cut. Now when I want to have some I defrost and either zap or toast them. I substituted potato flour or other non-gluten flours for the whole wheat flour. Came out very light.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2013   #6
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
I agree with Durgan, they're not hard after getting zapped in the microwave. I made a batch and tossed about 3/4's of them in the freezer, pre-cut. Now when I want to have some I defrost and either zap or toast them. I substituted potato flour or other non-gluten flours for the whole wheat flour. Came out very light.
I make a batch about every two weeks. Freeze about half and bring it out as required. The ingredients are varied as to what is readily available. The home-made wheat flour is nice, which I use for the nutrients and gluten as a binding agent. I use bake potatoes periodically, which are all gone from the root cellar for this year.
Old March 16, 2013   #7
Akelei
Tomatovillian™

Well, I don't have a microwave ! Just made a fresh loaf of bread - it smells wonderfull. I have a basic recipe and change somtimes a bit of dry ingredience. Basic - 500 g flour, 120 g natural yogurt, 200 g water, a bit of fresh yeast (hazelnut sized) 1 ts salt and 1 ts sugar. Raisnig time about 2 houres. Highest temp. for a first 22-25 min ( about 500 F) with water in a pot on the bottom of the oven, after this time the pot removed from the oven, temp. off and leave for the next 10 min. in the hot oven. Then put out and let get cold. Because of the yogurt the bread stays fresh for several days. Or not
Today I used a bit of fresh milled quinoa and a bit of fresh milled rye in the dough. Its very good!
Nice recipe page - weekendbakery.com

Akelei

Last edited by Akelei; March 16, 2013 at 02:32 PM.
Akelei is offline   Reply With Quote