Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 11, 2009   #16
mresseguie
Tomatovillian™

Tom,

I know everyone who answered here meant well, but only I know the best hot sauce. I buy the 'hot' version, but there is another, insanely hot version that I would have loved a few years back, but, sadly, my super hot days have slithered into the sunset.

Ready?

Marie Sharp's Habanero Pepper Sauce

Proud product of Belize.

I don't have a link, but it is available in the US.

I love this stuff.

Ya'll can go ahead and throw away those over-the-hill sauces now. You'll feel better once you do.
Old February 11, 2009   #17
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

My all time fav was a gift brought to me by a co-worker who was from the Bahamas. It was called Miss Di's (or Vi's) Hot Sauce. It had such a wonderful balance of instant then "creeper" heat with a fruity but not sweet element & underlying unami with some tang (not a vinegary twang like good old Tabasco!). I rationed the bottle - when I used water to get the last traces - that was it. I lost track of the co-worker after we went to new jobs ... & that was it for that unbelievably good hot sauce. Internet & Bahamas specific searches without success.
We made the previously mentioned Bajan hot sauce last year w/habs (the one with the mustard) & canned mangos. Dear trusting taster friend claims it is the best hotdog sauce on planet EARF. It's hot... & good. We waterbath canned ours but keep it in the basement fridge. This next year I will pressure can our hot sauces.

Last edited by stormymater; February 11, 2009 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Marie Sharp's is indeed tasty too.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2009   #18
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

I dig heat - both explosive (think like wasabi) & creeper but I also appreciate the taste & nuance of the peppers & the sauces. Marie Sharp's is very nice.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2009   #19
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

about 1 1/2 weeks ago i discovered the health food store i go to stocks dave's sauces. the choice was insanity or habanero.

hey i may be insane but i ain't touching habanero anything yet! I tried a drop of the insanity hot sauce on some food and it was very very hot!!! insanely hot. i have not tried any since but will soon.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2009   #20
svalli
Tomatovillian™

My boss has been ordering a lot of different hot sauces lately and he has a bottle of quite good habanero sauce he carries with him when eating lunch out. It is just pure orange habanero and a bit vinegar and salt. I do not remeber the name. I'll check it when we next time have lunch together.

Last time when he placed an order I ordered some hot pepper candies on the same shipment. I got some specialty Finnish salted (with ammonium chloride) liquorice candies with Bhut Jolokia powder. May sound strange combination, but those are nicely hot and I like them. I also got a bag of German rasberry candies, but these ones are way too hot - actually painful to eat . http://www.pepper-king.com/shop/pepper-kings-crying-cherry_rocis-100g-heat-10-(en_2321).phtml
Old February 12, 2009   #21
Woodchuck
Tomatovillian™

I don't like a runny and overly vinegary sauce.

I buy Thai-style chile sauce ...Huy Fong brand Sriracha.... and add hot chile powders to taste...hab or whatever....it works out very well...the sauce is extra thick and inexpensive. A 17 ounce bottle is around $4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha

<Woodchuck>
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2009   #22
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i bought a bottle of "thai pepper" sauce at trader joe's the other day. it is thicker than molasses. this is not all that good tasting to me but it is a sleeper. at 1st it did not seem all that hot and the label did not indicate that it was hot but after about 10 seconds.... oh baby it is hot and peppery. not too hot for me but amazingly spicy. if you like black pepper this may be for you. i don't know how to use it, i put some on rice but was not impressed with the taste.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old February 13, 2009   #23
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

i'm impressed,my husband had eaten this sauce (sriracha) at work and talked about how good it was. on a trip to wallyworld i bought a bottle, "oh my goodness" !!!!!! it was way too hot for me, i can not imagine adding something else to it and making it hotter. you guys have my respect.

neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2009   #24
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

@svalli:
Speaking of unusual combinations one of the members of the Pepper Pack made brownies with 15 Ring of Fire peppers (deseeded of course). It may sound a bit weird, but they were actually pretty good.

@Woodchuck:
Yeah, the rooster stuff is pretty good and was well received by the Pepper Pack although they were quick to point out it wasn't that hot. It does have decent heat, it just isn't like Dave's Insanity et. al. so it might be a good one for tjg911to try.

@mressequie:
I'll have to give it a try.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2009   #25
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default hot or not?

i bought a bottle of LaBelle No. 3 Rich Red blended cayenne & habanero pepper sauce at the local "price chopper" grocery store about a month ago. this is the only place i have seen this product. i thought it was hot tho not too hot but the habanero intrigued me. the ingredients are blended aged peppers, vinegar, salt and xanthan gum.

i bought another bottle 2 days ago. it does not seem all that hot! same stuff. i figured when you 1st open the bottle it is at it's hottest so i put about 4 drops into 1 1/2 cups of squash and peanut butter soup. i can't taste it. so i added another 4-5 drops. nothing! i must have put 1/2 teaspoon into the soup. i could taste it but i should have gotten sweat on my forehead. nothing!

if this was 2-4 weeks old i'd say it lost it's kick but i just opened it 2 minutes earlier. the best by date is 6/4/09. does hot sauce go bad?

also it does not say anywhere to refridgerate once you open it but all the hot sauces i have bought (6 or 7) say to refridgerate. would this lose it's kick if i leave it out?

i'm still mystified why it is not hot. maybe i'm remembering wrong but i thought this was pretty hot. not anywhere near dave's insanity but hot.

comments?

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old February 13, 2009   #26
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Brownies with hot peppers sound good. I mix cayenne in with my instant hot chocolate to enhance the "bite" of the chocolate.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote