Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 26, 2009   #1
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Default Early, fleshy, hot ... any suggestions?

I'm on the look out for a good, early, hot, fleshy chilli for sauces. I like to make a batch of sauce each year to use as a condiment, in cooking etc. I have been buying red cayenne types for sauce but I'd like to grow my own. Any good ones out there folks?
Old February 26, 2009   #2
Bitwise Gamgee
Tomatovillian™

Hot is a relative term , but I think most Jalapeño varieties would meet your requirements.

- Bitwise
Bitwise Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2009   #3
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Fresno is the earliest hot pepper for me...A bit hotter and different flavored than jalapenos...
I like the New Mexico chilis for earliness...My favorites are Alcalde, Velarde, and Santa domingo....However, they are similar to chimayo and you have already tried that before so perhaps they are not fleshy enough...
Some of the early Italian frying types have heat...
This year I am trying to grow some more cooking peppers too...I have resorted to starting them earlier in the house, so I put out a plant already blooming...Just potted up San Luis Majorca, Lombak, Etna, Macskasarga, and Vallero...
Are pepper seeds allowed into OZ ? I have quite a stash if they are OK...

Jeanne

Last edited by montanamato; February 26, 2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spelling
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2009   #4
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

The earliest cayenne type that I'm aware of is Ring of Fire. It is early, prolific, and tasty. It is a hit with the Pepper Pack so what else needs to be said?

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2009   #5
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Bitwise, yes, I guess the word hot is too general, or means different things to different people. I wouldn't make my sauce exclusively with Bulgarian Carrot, for example. The heat from them is a little dominating, not unpleasant mind you, just not what I want in a sauce.

Jeanne, yes, pepper seeds are still okay. I have tried Chimayo and it is certainly the earliest I've grow, but you're right, it's not fleshy enough for what I want. Perhaps I should try crossing it with a good fleshy, early pepper!

Randy, I'll look out for Ring of Fire for next season.

I'm thinking that perhaps what I should do is mix hot and sweet peppers for the sauce - sweet for the bulk and hot for the zip!
Old March 6, 2009   #6
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Ray ....I think the mixing is a great idea...
I never liked the texture of salsa that only was made with thin walled hot chilis, so try to combine a lot of crunchier mild chilis with the hot and aim for a blend...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote