Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 1, 2012   #1
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

Default Buying heirloom plants on line

Right now I'm new to containter gardening. I know most of you guys and gals start your own from seeds. I'm really busy in the spring until crappie fishing and turkey hunting is over with and I don't have time to start from seed(i'm gone to many days in a row). I'm not planting till after crappies and turkeys are done so I'll be home to put them in pots and take care of them daily. My question is ..who is a reputable seller of plants on line that I can buy from and have shipped in? I live in the kc mo area.
Thanks
Bruce
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2012   #2
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

How about calling on a few local greenhouses, near to you in Oak Grove?
Old January 1, 2012   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

One suggestion for you.

Selected plants in Alabama, not that far from you, and Darrel, he posts here as Fusion, has a HUGE selection of varieties and if you don't know what you want he will help advise you. Folks have been very pleased with what he sends and the prices are reasonable and packing is excellent.

http://www.selectedplants.com/
Old January 1, 2012   #4
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

If you would like to make a Drive. you could come to the Sand Springs Herb and Plant festival near Tulsa OK in April. over 100 venders with every type of plant you can imagine with lots of Heirloom Tomato plant growers. It attracts people from several states and is considered one the the top rated plant festivals in the nation. You can see what you get before you buy it..

I have the dates of all the Oklahoma festivals listed on my website
www.duckcreekfarms.com

Last edited by DuckCreekFarms; January 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling
DuckCreekFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2012   #5
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
One suggestion for you.

Selected plants in Alabama, not that far from you, and Darrel, he posts here as Fusion, has a HUGE selection of varieties and if you don't know what you want he will help advise you. Folks have been very pleased with what he sends and the prices are reasonable and packing is excellent.

http://www.selectedplants.com/
I ordered tomatoes from Darrell last year, and was very happy with shipping and health. Highly recommended.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2012   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
I ordered tomatoes from Darrell last year, and was very happy with shipping and health. Highly recommended.
Glad to hear that Scott and that's been the usual excellent feedback for his plants.

I do think it anyone is interested in more feedback they can go to the Plant and Seed Forum and find Darrel's website and thread.
Old January 1, 2012   #7
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

sellected plants it is.. Thank you so much for helping me..
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2012   #8
erlyberd
Tomatovillian™

Bruce, get yourself a wicking mix, put wicks on your seedlings and then all you need is a water supply and your able to grow what you want not what others have. With the proper wicking system you could easily not even look at a plant for two weeks and they'll be growing while you play. This is low tech stuff man, 100% acrylic yarn, some pots, the wicking mix, something to hold the water and your done! I assume you have shop lights???
erlyberd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2012   #9
Mike Maurer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlyberd View Post
Bruce, get yourself a wicking mix, put wicks on your seedlings and then all you need is a water supply and your able to grow what you want not what others have. With the proper wicking system you could easily not even look at a plant for two weeks and they'll be growing while you play. This is low tech stuff man, 100% acrylic yarn, some pots, the wicking mix, something to hold the water and your done! I assume you have shop lights???

Please explain "wicking mix " to a relative newcomer. I have some of the same problems for a week or so in the sprng and have to depend on someone to water the new seedlings ( sometimes this doesn't work too well). If I could leave them for a week and not worry ..That would be great!
Thanks a lot, Mike
Mike Maurer is offline   Reply With Quote