Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 16, 2007   #1
keithaxis
Tomatovillian™

Default Cherries - add to this and/or replace

I blend in a few cherry tomato plants with my beefsteaks and I hoping I can get some cherries that may add to what I already have for next year. Either by getting rid of one or adding. Only have sungold and black cherry ripe so far.
I would love thoughts on these and others to add or replace with.
Here is list of 2007:
Sungold
Black Cherry
Riesentraub
Dr Carolyn
Green Grape - new this year-never tasted-but read here that it is not so special

I love a blend of colors so the above works for this year. I grew sugary and wild cherry last year but they were kicked out this year..not for me...

I also have the next size up and I'll take any new ones for those also. They would be:
Jaunne Flamme
Pink Ping Pong
Green Zebra

I think everything else in the garden are beefsteaks.

Thanks,

Keith

just looking for varieties that I may have missed...or are a trade up from what I have..
keithaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2007   #2
caascher2
Tomatovillian™

Keith,
I grew PPP this year, and it has turned out to be one of my favorite tasting tomatoes. It has also been very productive for me. I also grew Black cherry and Lollipop. Next year I am omitting the cherries and just planting PPP for my small fruited tomato.
Carol
caascher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2007   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

The only two cherry types that I find irreplaceable in my garden are Sungold and Black Cherry. I always try a few new types every year, but those are the two that I never omit from my list. Mexico Midget (new to me this year) is another possible candidate for adding to my every year list.

Greens - I had the opportunity to taste both Green Grape and Green Doctors at Tomatopalooza, and the Green Doctors was superior in taste. Honestly, neither knock my socks off, though. I've grown GG a couple of times and it seems to taste better for me when the weather is warm/hot. It can be pretty decent in a good year, not so good early in the season (or when grown for fall crop).

Off-whites/yellows - I like Snow White. Sweet w/o being bland. Galina's is also pretty good. I was less than impressed w/Coyote. The plant got monolithic and very hard to support (close to 15 ft), and the fruits frequently tear when pulled from the truss. Problem for me because I use Daconil and that makes it hard to wash the fruits. If I ever grow it again, it will be planted away from the main tomato area and not sprayed. Many people at SETTFest really liked it, also, folks I gave it away to thoughout the year said it tasted interesting and unusual, asked for more, etc. I could personally take it or leave it.

Reds - Gardener's Delight is pretty good, so is Mexico Midget. A LOT of people I gave MM away to this year loved it, said it tasted very 'tomatoey' for a cherry.

Pinks - I grew Dr. Carolyn Pink this year and liked it. Slightly larger than what I would consider to be a cherry type, though.

Bi-colors - Isis Candy, Gajo de Melon (I think they are the same variety, or so similar as to be hard to tell apart) - could take 'em or leave 'em. Got much better later in the season, were insipid early on when it was cooler here than normal.

Next-size-ups: Jaune Flammee is a must grow for me, always does well. I also grew Black and Brown Boar for the first time this year, and it was tasty, pretty, and super productive.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2007   #4
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Reinhards golden cherie (spelling) is something you might want to try. It is an translucent yellow when ripe.
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2007   #5
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Kimberly for the Next Size Up category, if you haven't tried it before.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2007   #6
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I also tasted Green Doctors at Tomatopalooza and liked it a lot. Martha gave me a little tub of them and I just delivered them there. You'd have to ask her (gardenmama ) about/where to get seed for that variety. I really did like them though.

As my SIL said above, she grew Pink Ping Pong this year and gave me some. I was pleasantly surprised by this little tomato. It was very tasty. A great salad tomato, just cut into quarters.

I like Lollipop, though it's monster of a plant. Galina's is a bit milder in flavor but stronger in color, very pretty.

I've still never found the red cherry tomato of my dreams. I guess by now I don't need to. Tomatoes don't have to be red.
Old August 18, 2007   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

You'd have to ask her (gardenmama ) about/where to get seed for that variety. I really did like them though.

Martha's seeds for Green Doctors were from me. She grows for me the few plants I'd like to grow in any season and sometimes I have to send her the seeds if they aren't in her inventory and that was true with four new heirlooms this season and I just sent along the Green Doctors as an add on.

There is at this time no commercial source I know of but it's listed in the SSE Yearbook.

Green Doctors is a spontaneous mutant of the variety Dr. Carolyn and the name refers to both me and to Amy Goldman ( the doctor part) in whose garden the mutation occurred. It's also the name of a well known trout fly.

Sadly my tomatoes are so lousy this year I have not ONE fruit to taste.
Old August 18, 2007   #8
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Camp Joy is a good red, and Fence Row is not bad, but pretty large sized...

I only planted 3 or 4 cherries and one was a mix up of my own, and is producing red 6 oz tomatoes...the only ripe cherries I have had are a few Peruvian bush, and they are so so at this point...
Next year I am going with Camp Joy again and hope to find a cherry that is early and not as late maturing here...And sungold is not for me, I just can't get used to that flavor...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2007   #9
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Try [Rose] Quartz Multiflora:

korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2007   #10
gardenmama
Tomatovillian™

Sungold and Black Cherry are a must for me as well. I also have 2 areas of the perennial and herb gardens where Coyote freely reseed each season.

Green Doctors will be making a return appearance for my garden next season. I need to get out there and isolate some of the recently emerged blossom clusters for seed saving as they are intertwined with Black Cherry and I'm pretty sure they have done some cross pollinating.
Old August 19, 2007   #11
pbud
Tomatovillian™

One that hasn't been mentioned that is well worth growing is Sugar Lump. It's a red cherry that with a big complex lingering taste. Not overly sweet, despite the name, but I put it in the must grow cherry category with Sungold and BC.
pbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2007   #12
oh2fly
Tomatovillian™

We grew Riesentraub last year and weren't impressed. It was fairly early but not much taste. Very small fruit and just not worth it. Our mainstay cherry is Sungold and this didn't match up.
oh2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2007   #13
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I mentioned Gardener's Delight earlier, and I think it's good for a red cherry. Gardener's Delight = Sugar Lump. I don't recall how/why it ended up with two names, but Carolyn or someone else probably does.

New ones I am trying this fall (and also next spring) on the quest for the holy red/pink cherry tomato grail include Peruvian Bush and Sweet Quartz F1.

Someone mentioned Camp Joy, that's another red I like that I didn't mention earlier.

But honestly, I have yet to be really wowed by any red variety, like I am by Sungold and Black Cherry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2fly View Post
We grew Riesentraub last year and weren't impressed. It was fairly early but not much taste. Very small fruit and just not worth it. Our mainstay cherry is Sungold and this didn't match up.
I wonder if you had crossed seeds, or the wrong variety. Also, did you get the nipple at blossom end? Riesentraube is on the large side for a cherry, and generally mid-late season. Here's a fairly representative picture:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/3680/

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Try [Rose] Quartz Multiflora:
Mark, have you grown Sweet Quartz F1 also? If so, how does it compare in taste to the OP multiflora?
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2007   #14
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I have grown 2 hybrids from Japan (cherries) that were wonderful. I need to check on how many packs I have left I maybe able to offer some in the seed forum. My brother brings them back when he travels.
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2007   #15
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I'm still searching for a great red cherry. My Red Robin in a pot on the picnic table tastes better this year than the reds , like Gardeners Delight, that I've grown in the garden here.

So far, only Black Cherry does it for me. I couldn't stand Sungold or Suncherry.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote