Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old May 10, 2009   #31
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Well I will have to take pics if they get big enough to take over my house. I have 2 burgandy and 4 CS. My husband is really the only one that eats okra so I am hoping to have him covered in it. They are in the only soil I have that actually has earthworms. They are next to the brick on the house. What should I be looking at as far as amount to expect? I would hope that would be plenty for him? I am wanting to pickle,freeze and what ever else is done to it
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009   #32
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I dont know what the norm is but my first year growing CS I grew only 5 plants averaging over 100 pods per plant before the season was over. You dont want to let CS get to big and I usually harvest at around 3-4 inches. I was harvesting twice a day at heaviest production.
Old May 10, 2009   #33
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

Thanks again duajones for answering my question. I am thinking that I should have come here before planting out. I think it is possible that people will see me and run away from my produce! I am definately going to have to buy a freezer
Kat
Old May 10, 2009   #34
duajones
Tomatovillian™

You are welcome Kat but remember that I said it may not be the norm. I had people on several occasions look at me in disbelief when I told them that I harvested 600 plus pods from just 5 okra plants. And maybe its not the norm, but my plants didnt know any difference
Old May 10, 2009   #35
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Twice a day is about right around here during high season. When I do grow okra, I try to go out ASAP after a heavy rain to get the good ones --literally in hours they can go from yum to yuck. I'm not growing any this year because of space issues.

Oh, and the fire ants. I got tired of fighting the fire ants. They LOVE okra. Neem oil doesn't faze them, and I am leery of using too much Amdro (bait) in the beds.
Old May 10, 2009   #36
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I was hoping for about 30-40 per plant so even if something does happen and I have 3 foot plants that are scrawny, I should get that at least! This is a learning year
Kat
Old May 11, 2009   #37
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I got this recipe while searching the web and thought I would share

http://www.howtopickle.com/recipes/okra_pickles.html
OKRA PICKLES

3 1/2 lb Small okra pods
4 Cloves garlic
2 sm Hot peppers, cut in half
3 c Water
3 c Vinegar
1/3 c Canning salt
2 ts Dill seed

Pack okra firmly into hot jars,
leaving 1/4 inch head space. Put
a garlic clove and half a pepper in
each jar. Combine water, vinegar,
salt and dill seed and bring to a boil.
Pour hot liquid over okra, leaving
1/4 inch head space. Remove air bubbles.
Adjust caps. Process 15 minutes in
boiling water bath.

Yield: about 4 pints.
Kat
Old May 11, 2009   #38
organichris
Tomatovillian™

I'm probably gonna try this recipe. I love pickled okra, and if I can customize it to make it super hot, all the better.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009   #39
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, so I went out to my garden spot and all my okra and a good number of my peppers, watermelons had been eaten by deer. So I think I'm going to hide out in there with a baseball bat. The second one of those suckers step into my garden, pow! Right in the kisser!...Or I could try to build a makeshift fence of some kind.
Old May 13, 2009   #40
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I am sorry about the varmits eating your plants! Very frustrating to put all that effort into growing them and planning for them only to have something else take away your harvest.
Kat
Old May 13, 2009   #41
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Wow, thats terrible. I guess us folks are lucky that dont have to deal with 4 legged varmints
Old May 13, 2009   #42
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Really its my fault for not preparing, but that doesn't keep me from wanting to put a deer in a choke hold. Blood meal has worked well in the past and its cheap. If I broadcast it over the whole garden area, they probably won't come around for a while. I've been using my own urine, but after a good rain, forget about it. Then there's always the fence option, which I'm too lazy for.
Old May 29, 2009   #43
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Well I ended up transplanting 8 plants a couple of weeks ago and they are all doing fantastic with the exception of one plant that is growing much slower than the others for some reason. They were only in pots for a couple of weeks and their root system was already to the bottom of the pots when I transplanted them out. They had been wilting during the hottest part of the day but I have since added leaves as mulch and they seem to be happy campers now. And the soil is still moist in the afternoon when I get home instead of being dry. I may be able to get by with a once every other day watering now, where as it was twice a day before. Looking forward to some fried okra!
Old June 14, 2009   #44
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Well it shouldnt be much longer until I have some okra to harvest. I have had to battle aphids early on but seem to be winning the war. They are now 32 days from transplant, 46 days after sowing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg okra061409.jpg (201.5 KB, 28 views)
Old June 17, 2009   #45
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I have blooms this morning so it wont be long till I am swimming in okra