Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 7, 2017   #31
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Just seeing this thread. You can get here at Chiltern Seeds. They in England but ship to US. About 118 seeds they say in a packet.

http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_1736D

I've ordered flower and veggie seeds from them many times over the years and always had excellent seed and germination. Usually took about 2 weeks to get seeds.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2017   #32
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

BVV I received the Sweet Candle seeds from Aliexpress today. I ordered these on 12-19-2016, it took longer than the other items I ordered. I'm impressed with them, they allow you to extend your buyer protection if the seller is slow to fill the order or you can request a refund. I don't know how they do it but I ordered 10 packs of 50 seeds for $5.50 and free shipping. I guess the test will be when I plant them, they may be junk carrot seeds-who knows.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2017   #33
Wedlady77
Tomatovillian™

Rajun let us know how they turn out.
Wedlady77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2017   #34
BajaMitch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
I've been dialing in my carrots, and if you thoroughly screen the mix it really helps. Make my own seed tape with thin Scott toilet paper and flour, it helps to get the.
Gerardo, what is "screening the mix"? What does that mean?
BajaMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2017   #35
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

just a metal screen/grid to catch the bigger pieces and fluff it out. Some carrots enjoy it.

Parisian types are great tasting and don't require much space or compliant soil.

https://www.botanicalinterests.com/p...HEIRLOOM-Seeds

https://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/?item=2018
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2017   #36
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yep, peat mix is the way to go. I have grown carrots (multi color heirloom) in a bucket, and the crop was way better than in a flowerbed... (and better protected from hares!)
This spring God willing I'll sow carrots again, in a bucket (10 liters) One can sow it all full and then start thinning in mid-summer. They don't mind growing in close quarters.
No need for extra fert, a good peat mix should have all that is needed.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2017   #37
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
When I saw that I thought you meant a variety mix of carrots .. maybe I should try that. . How do you sow your seeds cuzz I had mine waaaay to close together! And will carrots punch thru hard soil I had em pots this year.

Jumping in just because I was reading a seed catalog this morning.... Territorial, I think.

Mix 1/4 tsp carrot seeds in a gallon of sand or vermiculite. I'm sorry I cant remember off the top of my head what the area is for that amount. ( Catalog is not at hand.)
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2017   #38
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Yep, peat mix is the way to go. I have grown carrots (multi color heirloom) in a bucket, and the crop was way better than in a flowerbed... (and better protected from hares!)
This spring God willing I'll sow carrots again, in a bucket (10 liters) One can sow it all full and then start thinning in mid-summer. They don't mind growing in close quarters.
No need for extra fert, a good peat mix should have all that is needed.
How many carrots would you say per 5 gal bucket? I have tons of buckets. I could try several different mixes that way.

Ranjun, do you know which seller you bought your carrots from? I see 3 different ones and I'd like to get my seeds quickly. I had surgery again this year and forgot to order them.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2017   #39
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Store:Javiiier Seeds Store
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Vege...559810084.html
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017   #40
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

BVV, I cannot remember how much (either number-wise or weight-wise) I got in a bucket. But it was full. I sowed very generously, then thinned accordingly, and that's the neat thing about carrots: edible at every stage of development.
No need to worry about overcrowding, they managed fine and gew well.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote