Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 12, 2017   #1
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Default After 7 days of Paper Towel Germinating?

Got started last week with PTG. Tomatoes only. Less than 2 days and 2 seeds of the same variety had germinated! Happy dance. Fastest I've ever had seeds sprout.

Within 4 days I got 11 total out of 40 seeds. 9 different varieties.

Now nothing has sprouted for last 4 days.

One thought is they got too hot from the heating mat. In past year, I usually just use the room temperature inside my house which has worked great.

This year I'm giving one of the seed starting kits the community garden bought, which includes a heating pad.

There is no temperature control dial, so don't know what the temp actually is.

After nothing happened, I placed a terry towel on top of the heating pad, placed the baggies back thinking maybe it was too hot for them. I check them each day, add a bit more moisture as needed, opening them to give them more oxygen, what I've always done with great results.

I restarted more seeds yesterday. Plus I covered the baggies up with an upside down standard black growing tray to block out all daylight.

Too much heat and not dark enough along with maybe just not enough time yet are the only things I can think of...just got the seeds, some were 'gifts' and older, from 2013, but I've had good luck with 7 and 8 year old seed in the past

How much time do you all give seeds when you are pregerminating them before just pitching them?

Z
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017   #2
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

You may be right. Is a thermometer part of your setup? Well it should be. Two years ago I had real problems with seed bed temperature, and would never have known it without the thermometers wrapped in with the seeds. 95°F is not a friendly environment.

I'd start another bag. This time wrap the bag plus a thermometer in a light towel and keep an eye on it. Anything over about 88°F start rethinking your setup.

(I don't want to propose this as a general solution, but after I sharply reduced the heat, a few of my more difficult seed suddenly developed tails...)

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017   #3
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
How much time do you all give seeds when you are pregerminating them before just pitching them?
Well, I'm usually doing peppers, which are naturally slower, but a good three weeks. Usually by that time the fungus is trying to eat the bag, despite the application of hydrogen peroxide.

2013 seeds aren't that old. Mine of that age do quite well. OTOH, some I've received that are ostensibly that age have a 0% rate, so who knows...

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017   #4
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Well, I'm going to take a look today and see if anything looks like it might still be alive. There is no thermometer with this 'kit'.

Hope there are lots of sprouts waiting for me.

I think I'll even start a third set and just put them on the counter like I've usually done. I only need two of each of the variety, but I like to start with 4 seeds of each and choose the best of the seedlings for the garden.

Thanks

Z
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote