Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 3, 2017   #1
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Default How tall are your dwarf seedlings at plant out?

Never seeing a dwarf tomato grow up, I was wondering how tall they generally are when you plant them outside. I know some dwarfs grow taller than others, so I guess I'm looking for a median range. Also, when you state inches tall, are you talking the height from the bottom of the pot or the height above the soil?

Does anyone have pictures on TV of their dwarfs at plant out time?
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2017   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by schill93 View Post
Never seeing a dwarf tomato grow up, I was wondering how tall they generally are when you plant them outside. I know some dwarfs grow taller than others, so I guess I'm looking for a median range. Also, when you state inches tall, are you talking the height from the bottom of the pot or the height above the soil?

Does anyone have pictures on TV of their dwarfs at plant out time?
Mine are usually 3-4 inches tall with at least 2 sets of true leaves, measured from the soil to the top of the plant. You can usually reach a proper plant out height by 6 weeks from seed here in warm Florida because we start seeds here in August or early September, but for sure they will be correct size for anyone by 8 weeks from seed.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2017   #3
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Here's a pic of my Dwarf Scary F2s just prior to plant out .......

http://www.tomatoville.com/attachmen...1&d=1486222880
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dwarfs.jpg (387.2 KB, 88 views)
Old February 4, 2017   #4
schill93
Tomatovillian™

OK, that's a good gauge. I germinated them first, as I figured they wouldn't get as big, My weather here is beautiful and if it looks like it's going to continue. I was thinking of planting some out a little early if it continues. There not ready yet looking at your pictures, but they might be in two weeks.
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2017   #5
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

It is not how tall, it is how old. At 6-8 weeks it is ready to plant out. For the plant to take off and start to grow the soil temp should be at least 60 degrees. We have been having some near 80 degree days lately in NW Lousiana but my garden soil temp is 42.

When I was buying my plants from big box stores and nurseries I found that small plants would usually out perform larger plants. Since I have been growing from seed, it is much harder to match 6-8 week old plants to the ideal weather.

Bob
UFXEFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2017   #6
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_D View Post
Here's a pic of my Dwarf Scary F2s just prior to plant out ....... snip...
Nice looking!

Mine? Depends. My early ones are at least 8-10" tall (not leggy). I want to keep them in the cold frame as long as possible to get early production. Later ones are much smaller. My "mini-dwarfs" Red Robin, etc. have 8-10 tomatoes on them when I plant them in hanging baskets.

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote