Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 2, 2017   #1
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Default New RGGS

I'm pretty excited about it, so I thought I would take some pics and share....

After doing a little math the gutter system does cost slightly more than the bucket-in-bucket system, but it is so much easier. Instead of leveling each bucket you just level the whole 10" run of gutter and then it's done. Props to Larry Hall for the original thought of this.

I had planned on posting it step-by-step with photos but I can't upload all my photos for some reason. I might figure it out. Anyway, there are 14 self watering buckets with 40' of overhead trellising, and it takes up 600 sq/ft of space. We will see how it works out.

A net cup in the bottom of each bucket and off we went. More mulch to be put down and the grassy patch in the back will be ripped up and green beans planted next weekend. I'm two weeks behind, but we have made a couple of weekend trips with the kids and grandkids so it's worth it.

Hope you find it useful. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by JaxRmrJmr; April 3, 2017 at 08:34 AM. Reason: corrected rotated pictures
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2017   #2
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

It looks great! Keep up the good work, I'll be watching! I will try to build at least one soon.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2017   #3
encore
Tomatovillian™

good job! i don't know what type of tomatoes your growing, but i went with 7 buckets and my other gutter is closer to the first one than yours is, but they get pretty bushy and start touching each other , and without alot of pruning here and there, they don't get a lot of air circulation thru. the plants, you might be ok tho. being yours are farther apart, still debating on if i'm going with 14 buckets this year or 10.
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2017   #4
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Are buckets definitely better than grow bags for structure? I'm wondering if it is worthwhile
for me to make some grow bags from landscaping fabric. I have a 22 feet greenhouse to fill, 4 rows, that's potentially 4x22 growing space, although it won't be all tomatoes, that's going to take quite a few containers.
Old April 3, 2017   #5
encore
Tomatovillian™

iwent with the buckets with holes drilled in them and bags inside, last year was the first year with rggs system,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (176.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (214.4 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (221.1 KB, 100 views)
Old April 3, 2017   #6
encore
Tomatovillian™

another picture, later on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (185.7 KB, 100 views)
Old April 3, 2017   #7
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Wow, those are really great looking setup and growth. I read your earlier posts too very helpful. Buckets cost around $8 here at Home Depot, quite pricy. If I make my own grow bags that would save qute a bit, but I am a bit concerned how they sit up. I can also board up the sides to support grow bags I suppose, not hard to do.
Encore, what kind of fertizer were you using?
Old April 3, 2017   #8
encore
Tomatovillian™

just 1 cup of 10-10-10 around the edge of the bucket 2 inches down from the top, then another inch of soil and an inch of wood chips. later in the year i mixed up miracle grow for tomatoes and water and poured it in the gutters.
Old April 3, 2017   #9
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Pretty much any restaurant will have empty 5 gallon buckets, usually for pickles, for free. Very nice btw.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2017   #10
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks it's a beauty. Are the plants in the front shading the back ones? It probably won't work for us in double rows here due to the limited sunshine. Are there anything you would do differently if you were to do it again? I will reference all setups posted at TV.
Old April 3, 2017   #11
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Casters for re positioning(solar absorption) when needed might help.
Old April 3, 2017   #12
encore
Tomatovillian™

no they are running north and south, and get sunshine all day long, my only concern was plants getting enough air flow, to dry off after rains and not developing molds and bad stuff. lol. so had to do alot of triming, especially between the two rows, that's why i'm still debating on 14 or 10 buckets this year, i can stagger buckets on each side, but i got so many differant types i'd like to grow, lol
Old April 3, 2017   #13
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Love the look of those polka dot buckets! Very artsy! Beautiful looking set up you have.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2017   #14
encore
Tomatovillian™

holes in buckets for root air pruning.
Old April 3, 2017   #15
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by encore View Post
good job! i don't know what type of tomatoes your growing, but i went with 7 buckets and my other gutter is closer to the first one than yours is, but they get pretty bushy and start touching each other , and without alot of pruning here and there, they don't get a lot of air circulation thru. the plants, you might be ok tho. being yours are farther apart, still debating on if i'm going with 14 buckets this year or 10.

That's what I'm hoping.... In the original post the top of the T is 6' across with 2 sets of pipes for each row of buckets. I'm hoping to stagger which pipe they climb to and keep enough air circulation to support 3 stems per plant. Here is picture of how they grew last year with only one overhead support:

I run them up strings so they don't become as bushy.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by JaxRmrJmr; April 3, 2017 at 05:44 PM. Reason: clarifycation
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote