Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old September 30, 2016   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Foaming oil???:>(

Foaming oil.
Can someone tell me why oil starts to foam, I have found it starts to do this after awhile and sometimes right after I cook certain things like mackerel patties.
After this starts it is more or less worthless.
At no time has this oil been over heated.
Is there a way to fix it?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2016   #2
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Foaming oil.
Can someone tell me why oil starts to foam, I have found it starts to do this after awhile and sometimes right after I cook certain things like mackerel patties.
After this starts it is more or less worthless.
At no time has this oil been over heated.
Is there a way to fix it?

Worth
Here's an answer 'googled' from Mazola oil...

Q. Why does Mazola oil foam up when the food is added to the pan for deep frying?
A. All foods contain moisture. When even small amounts of moisture on the surface of a food come into contact with hot cooking oil, it foams or boils up somewhat. For safety, never fill a skillet or deep fryer more than 1/3 full with oil. Make sure food is as dry as possible before adding to hot oil by patting food pieces dry with paper towels or coating food pieces with flour or breadcrumbs. Always use tongs or a fry basket to carefully add foods to the oil.
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2016   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPawlick View Post
Here's an answer 'googled' from Mazola oil...

Q. Why does Mazola oil foam up when the food is added to the pan for deep frying?
A. All foods contain moisture. When even small amounts of moisture on the surface of a food come into contact with hot cooking oil, it foams or boils up somewhat. For safety, never fill a skillet or deep fryer more than 1/3 full with oil. Make sure food is as dry as possible before adding to hot oil by patting food pieces dry with paper towels or coating food pieces with flour or breadcrumbs. Always use tongs or a fry basket to carefully add foods to the oil.
I have read everything like that on line looked at forums and it is not what I am talking about.

I mean this oil is ruined it will not fry food anymore.
What does happen is the foam surrounds the food and causes it to just get soggy.

Something is getting in the oil or it is changing on the molecular level somehow to cause this.

Worth
Old September 30, 2016   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

One thing for sure it's a hazard.
Anything foaming up in a deep fryer can also foam over.....

I have seen something like this before but in a shallow fryer... the oil had to be ditched afterwards it's no good anymore. But this was just moisture related imo. What was being fried didn't absorb the oil, instead something came out of the food (presumably moisture?) and that made it foam.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This isn't your typical idiot move of putting stuff in oil too fast it will never stop foaming and it is a very fine and fluffy foam.

One time I did have a big fluffy Mr Bubbles foam come over the top and get all over the stove top.
This sucks when you are hungry and cooking.
I have even experimented with foaming oil.
One is to have the food for awhile in the oil and it is a small foam as the I heat the oil up them more foam it produces.
I have tried all types of oil and they will all do it.

The one thing I know as fact is that if I cook oily fish in the oil it will most of the time but not all of the time ruin the oil for anything after that.
This can happen with the second fry of the oil.
This foaming oil phenomenon and economics has turned me completely away from buying a deep fat fryer.

Most of the time I pan fry anyway.
When I do get on a frying binge I just use a small thick kettle and put a lid on it when not in use.
Sometimes I will have two going at the same time on the stove.

Worth
Old September 30, 2016   #6
bower
Tomatovillian™

Here is another possible cause - proteins from egg yolk, according to some, will cause oil to foam. So if there's egg in the batter or the pattie, you may get foam.
Come to think of it, that fits my experience of foamy oil as well!

http://cooking.stackexchange.com/que...ed-chicken-pan

That won't stop me from using whole eggs - love em! But I'll stick to the pan frying and just ditch the foamy oil afterwards.
Old September 30, 2016   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Here is another possible cause - proteins from egg yolk, according to some, will cause oil to foam. So if there's egg in the batter or the pattie, you may get foam.
Come to think of it, that fits my experience of foamy oil as well!

http://cooking.stackexchange.com/que...ed-chicken-pan

That won't stop me from using whole eggs - love em! But I'll stick to the pan frying and just ditch the foamy oil afterwards.
Come to think of it the "event" hasn't happened since the last time I have had eggs in the house.
I haven't had eggs in the house in months and have discovered ways to do without them.
More experimenting.
I bought some eggs the other day for some reason long forgot and I ended up frying two eggs and right after that the oil started foaming when I wanted to cook something else.
The fish patties have egg in them to.
And I cooked some egg less fish patties and the oil didn't foam afterwards.

Now I remember why I bought the confounded eggs.
Homemade pasta.
Worth
Old September 30, 2016   #8
bower
Tomatovillian™

There it is.
I think it depends on the recipe though, or what you mix the egg with. I fried some zucchini in batter last week and it didn't foam too much (just a little though), the batter was egg milk flour salt and pepper. Mostly flour.
Old September 30, 2016   #9
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Probably my most controversial post/reply ever... Three letters explain this G M O
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2016   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Probably my most controversial post/reply ever... Three letters explain this G M O
Its possible who knows.
I haven't seen it happen until the last few years, somethings afoot.
Worth
Old September 30, 2016   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

We use the Hill Country Fare soybean oil sold at HEB. It does as I expect an oil to do.

I had been thinking about this when you (Worth) were talking about using lard to cook with a while back. And I had my doubts about using it. People used lard for centuries...hundreds if not thousands of years. I was watching a Japanese cooking show the other day, and they use lard to cook with because it makes food taste better.

I've read countless things about lard, shortening, and cooking oils. Yes, I learned that I am old-school in my thinking, but the way I see things is, "New and Improved" actually means, "We cut production cost and still charge you more for less quality and quantity."

I'll bet that Hillary and Donald won't bring that up in the next debate.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2016   #12
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Although we like to blame GMO's for everything, that is not the problem here. As oil breaks down it will cause foaming.

Here is a good link. The part about foaming is addressed under oil freshness and you will see that the type of food and the type of coating being fried affects the breakdown at different rates but ALL oils will break down after repeated use. Filtering used oil is a good idea to remove food and coating particles from the oil.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/09/a...e-fry-oil.html
brownrexx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2016   #13
bower
Tomatovillian™

Good link, I enjoyed that. Particles, eh?
Old October 1, 2016   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

As I said I have read all of the stuff on line none of it describes this as this stuff was never over heated and has happened on the second use within hours.
Something it being introduced into the oil.
The egg yolk may very well be it.
I think somehow water is being emulsified into the oil or the chemical properties are being changed.
It could be the introduction of a certain protein molecule.
I highly doubt it is GMO.s
Oil is strange stuff anyway you can make all kinds of stuff out of it.
And it all has different properties.
The 3 In One oil is NOT the oil you want to use on stuff you are going to store.
It will dry and leave a hard amber varnish coating on stuff that is very hard to get off.
I had a set of $400 depth micrometers glue completely up from it and had to use kerosene to clean them.
I have thought it was another type of oil or cholesterol that is ruing the oil.
Maybe a fatty acid who knows.

An egg has a lot of stuff in it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...i6ICqr5llGTKFw

Next it is always after I introduce some sort of animal product to the oil.
Never if it is only a vegetable product BUT if I try to fry a vegetable product after the tainting it will foam.

So it is not old oil, not oil that has been used too many times and not oil that needs to be filtered nor is it over heated oil.
And it is not me introducing food too fast to the oil.

Worth
Old October 1, 2016   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I pulled this off a coconut oil site and it very well could be the answer.

I am now looking up the boiling points of oil and the smoke points.

Why coconut cooking oil sometimes produces foam when used for deep-frying?

If we use coconut cooking oil exclusively, it will not foam when used for deep-frying. Problems of foaming arise when coconut cooking oil is being contaminated with other types of oil for example palm cooking oil. Coconut cooking oil has a different density and boiling point than other types of oil. Therefore, the differences in these properties will create excess foam when frying.