Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 8, 2009   #1
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Default Green x Red =R,Y,B,G

I'm a visual person, not a numbers person, so I've been putting together Punett squares to determine what to expect growing out the seed from some of my accidental cross F1s and this one came out prettier than most because of the way the two genes (green flesh and yellow flesh) interact (to the best of my understanding anyway). It also illustrates the variety and proportion of unstable offspring that can result from saving seed from an F1 hybrid, and how hard it is to stabilize something with a dominant characteristic showing. For the plants of the F2 generation there is an 11% chance it's stable if the fruit is red, 33% chance if yellow or black, and a 100% chance its stable if it's green. Add on top of this that my parent plants were dwarf vs regular height, cherry vs salad size, and determinant vs indeterminant... Not two plants you would want to cross on purpose if you were trying to make a given combination.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Green x Red .jpg (105.6 KB, 161 views)
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2009   #2
Frog
Tomatovillian™

I like this, I take it we dealing with two yellow skinned cultivars here. Add clear skin in to the mix and things get fun.
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2009   #3
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Possible red fleshed cherries in the area were Gardeners Delight (yellow skin), and Pink Ping Pong (clear skin). My gut feeling is on Gardener's Delight. I'll know in September. I have nine F2s flowering now, seven dwarfs and two biggies.
Old July 11, 2009   #4
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

How exciting! You're going to have a pretty diverse set of traits to choose from. Any particular one you want to stabilize?
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2009   #5
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

I'll probably keep seed from anything that isn't red unless it tastes really good, but I'm not very excited about this cross, although I can see some benefits to having dwarf cherries as off season windowsill plants.

I'm planning on crossing Kosovo x Green Sausage and Kosovo x [Lime Green Salad x Green Sausage F1] in the next few days, which will give me a selection of colored heart/pastes w/&w/o stripes. Growouts should keep me entertained for a few years.
Old March 9, 2010   #6
jackdaniel
Tomatovillian™

I would love to see how this progresses. Keep us in the loop!
Old March 10, 2010   #7
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Well that cross turned out better than some of the others even though they are cherries (but large fruit genes are in there and can come out down the line). I was surprized at how bad most of the crosses tasted (Lime Green Salad x ?Black Plum-- 9 plants = bland or yuck)

I ended up with the following large red cherries that are sweet like pink ping pong (excellent flavor): normal indeterminant, normal determinant, dwarf, and dwarf multiflora. I also have dwarf green and dwarf yellow. The last two are very cute but the flavor isn't as good (late blight didn't help). I'm going to follow up on these lines this summer a little but don't have much space for them. Stupid deer keep me behind fencing.
Old March 10, 2010   #8
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Many of the F1s of the dwarf project were quite bland tasting. Some were
downright lousy, but the flavors really came through in the F2s and later....

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2016   #9
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

So 6 years later, what are the results?
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2016   #10
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Many of the F1s of the dwarf project were quite bland tasting. Some were downright lousy, but the flavors really came through in the F2s and later....

Lee
Non-intuitive. Any explanation for this?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote