Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old May 3, 2016   #76
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Hey Worth,
Here's a thought for something really quick and easy as well.. I did it for my cukes last year and absolutely loved it. Take a full length 4 gauge cattle panel (4x16'), stake all four corners and just bend and fasten it in place. I'm going to do a few more this year.. I pieced this one together with some remnants I had from the tomato cages..

Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2016   #77
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
So if you use the initial 4-pole teepee pyramids that are six? foot on a side, connected at the top, and are strung on 3 sides...how many beans are you planting per teepee? What is the distribution?
I think I plated around 15 vines or so per Tee Pee.
One has struggling cucumber on it and beans.
Snails slugs and rain are killing me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike723 View Post
Hey Worth,
Here's a thought for something really quick and easy as well.. I did it for my cukes last year and absolutely loved it. Take a full length 4 gauge cattle panel (4x16'), stake all four corners and just bend and fasten it in place. I'm going to do a few more this year.. I pieced this one together with some remnants I had from the tomato cages..

Looks nice are they burr gherkin?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2016   #78
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

No they were "Mexican Sour Gherkin" http://www.rareseeds.com/mexican-sour-gherkin-cucumber/ .. got'em from my local nursery.. They were TERRIBLE lol.. I ate a few and they were bitter and unappetizing; coming from a guy that likes an occasional slice of raw lemon! They did yield nicely for the compost pile at least lol..
Old May 3, 2016   #79
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
No they were "Mexican Sour Gherkin" http://www.rareseeds.com/mexican-sour-gherkin-cucumber/ .. got'em from my local nursery.. They were TERRIBLE lol.. I ate a few and they were bitter and unappetizing; coming from a guy that likes an occasional slice of raw lemon! They did yield nicely for the compost pile at least lol..
Same thing two different names.
They are not meant to be eaten the way regular cucumbers are.

Worth
Old May 3, 2016   #80
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

You're telling me, haha! How are they supposed to be prepared, pickled?
Old May 3, 2016   #81
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
You're telling me, haha! How are they supposed to be prepared, pickled?
Well I was wrong but you did get the wrong seeds. they are two different critters.
The Mexican sour gherkin looks like a little watermelon and is Melothria scabra.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...f1WmABN0ldnI1w

The Burr Gherkin has spines like yours do and is Cucumis anguria.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...nXwtUdvVGZbndw

They sent you the wrong seeds me thinks.

Yes picked and cooked.

Worth
Old May 4, 2016   #82
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

It was actually a seedling, perhaps the nursery received them mislabeled.. Hmm I wonder if they're decent when prepared correctly..
Old July 16, 2016   #83
Ganado
Tomatovillian™

Worth this tee pee is shear genius. I find that every fall the tomato cages are hard to deal with and difficult to store. So I have use bamboo tripods lashed together and I use the twine to hange the plants in late fall so that I have a few more fresh tomatoes ..... this pyramid or tee pee would be even better!

thank your for all the attention to detail when you share your latest and greatest invention.

Ganado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2016   #84
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganado View Post
Worth this tee pee is shear genius. I find that every fall the tomato cages are hard to deal with and difficult to store. So I have use bamboo tripods lashed together and I use the twine to hange the plants in late fall so that I have a few more fresh tomatoes ..... this pyramid or tee pee would be even better!

thank your for all the attention to detail when you share your latest and greatest invention.

Well thanks.

Sometimes I feel I go into too much babbling detail.

Mine are still up with nothing growing on them due to the rain and snail attacks of the spring.
Worth
Old July 21, 2016   #85
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Here it is the collapsible octopus octagon bean/cucumber tepee.

I got tied up with two different women at two stores today.
One was at the spice section I was helping her buy spices to make spaghetti sauce.
The other was at the seed rack at Home Depot about gardening we must have yapped for an hour she talks as much as I do.
Well here it is the boards I am using are in the treated weather stripping wood or something. the other none treated stuff I dont know about.
This is a snap to set up and put away.
Worth
Attachment 56728

Attachment 56729

Attachment 56730

Attachment 56731
This is really really nice Worth! You got me thinking about next years crop.
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2016   #86
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSalvage View Post
This is really really nice Worth! You got me thinking about next years crop.
The one with the hinges and eight legs.
Make sure you read all of the information.
One way it is easy to put up the other way it is easy to take down by yourself.
Also about the soft metal the hinges are made from and how easy it is to mess them up.

Worth
Old February 26, 2017   #87
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

I guess I have read this thread at least four times. I think it would be awesome to make a teepee for my runner beans and morning glories, small gourds, cucumbers, ect.
Thank you for sharing your wonderful, garden inventions !
tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2017   #88
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Worth, your design makes me think of something I want to try, to build a frame with hinged joints for a cold frame, to be covered with plastic sheet, then when the weather gets warm, remove the plastic, and some parts of the frame can be flipped up, and become supporting stakes for plants.

We only need 3-4 weeks of protection, but we need staking plants for several months. Workable?
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2017   #89
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpalsfan View Post
I guess I have read this thread at least four times. I think it would be awesome to make a teepee for my runner beans and morning glories, small gourds, cucumbers, ect.
Thank you for sharing your wonderful, garden inventions !
Your more than welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
Worth, your design makes me think of something I want to try, to build a frame with hinged joints for a cold frame, to be covered with plastic sheet, then when the weather gets warm, remove the plastic, and some parts of the frame can be flipped up, and become supporting stakes for plants.

We only need 3-4 weeks of protection, but we need staking plants for several months. Workable?

I think so I have thought of it too.

Worth
Old April 25, 2019   #90
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I've been reading through this thread and I have some questions I hope you can answer.
Would it be possible to modify the teepees for a slope?
If we have another rainy summer I was wondering if the teepee would hold all the weight if it becomes waterlogged(i.e. the teepee the plants the fruit)
Would it be possible to use corn row fencing in place of the twine?
I've been thinking about growing vining crops other than beans such as squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc on the teepees..would they hold the weight if the plants produce well?

On a slightly different topic ideas to reinforce bean teepees and trellises made from bamboo would be most welcome! 2 severe thunderstorms made mince meat of our trellises, cages, and supports last year. Replacing all those has emptied the garden budget this year.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote