Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 9, 2015   #1
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Default What have you learned from T-ville?

I'm sure this may take on a life of it's own so I hope it stays simple.

Over the years I've observed countless opinions about pruning, taste, disease control, ect.

What are a few of your tactics or lessons you've learned here? Regardless, they are all priceless to the user so I don't want to see this turning into a 'why would you do that?' thread. lol

1 - Grow lights in the garage. For years, 20ish, I always kept them inside until the last week before weening them outside in the sun. Last year was the first time I put them out in the cool garage after transplant. What a difference! Plants came out wonderful! Stocky, thick stemmed, dark green.

2 - Identifiing insects. Good or bad, it's always good to know what's on your plants. To be able to post a pic and have numerous responses, pics, and links in MINUTES is so helpful. I had no idea what an Assasin Bug was!! Sprayed them for a few years down here before I learned that they are helpful. North Carolina is full of things I haven't seen compared to my years on Long Island.

3 - The use of Actinovate and Microhorzae. Both have been beneficial for me at time of plant out and during the growing season. Organic solutions are always welcome of course but these seem to give my plants the best chance for a healthy start.

I know just about EVERYTHING varies from garden to garden and my practices, will not suit others.

This may be kind of a shout out to say THANK YOU to all the kind hearted T-ville peeps!

Greg

oh, and don't believe anyone elses taste buds!! lol
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2015   #2
rags57078
Tomatovillian™

I have learned that having a garden for 40+ years I don't know a thing other than how to grow plants
rags57078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2015   #3
peppero
Tomatovillian™

I've learned that there are a whole lot of folks that know a lot more about tomatoes than I do and I don't think I will ever catch up with them. I am trying though.

Another thing; there are a lot of kind, thoughtful and generous people on this forum.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2015   #4
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I've learned you can never have enough tomato seeds.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2015   #5
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Like pep says...there are just so many cool gardeners. Some of them are very happy to send seeds to a total stranger...just because they might enjoy them.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2015   #6
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

Here's what I've learned:

1. this place has the most wonderful, helpful, and sharing human beings - all of whom have inspired me to be a vegetable gardener.

2. Carolyn & Craig are on tomato gods.

3. Craig's passion for A.W. Livingston has brought him back to life from near obsolescence - and I will be growing the early Livingston varieties up to 1900 this year.
stevenkh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2015   #7
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Default Location Matters

I've learned to read tomato evaluations by first considering where the poster lives. Stuff that people in the deep south swear by often does terrible for me.

Stacy
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2015   #8
joseph
Tomatovillian™

What I find fascinating about tomatoville are the social aspects... I am intrigued by what I think of as the religion of growing heirlooms. This is the only forum I participate in that has such a strong and vibrant heirloom oriented community. I see a tremendous amount of effort devoted by the members of this forum to purity and preservation work. I often question myself if I even belong in a forum like this: The token non-believer in the traditional tomato rituals.

I really like the insights that people here have into what varieties have the phenotypes that I am looking for. Y'all really fail regarding what will grow well in my garden, but you are great at pointing to varieties that are attractive to bumblebees.

Some of my most precious germplasm came from members of this group. I'm doing blasphemous things to it, but I make excuses for myself by saying that it is necessary because I live so close to the ecological limits of the tomato species.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2015   #9
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I have learned that I am not alone in my tomato obsession
As well I have learned that the folks here are incredibly generous with their knowledge, insights and seeds and I appreciate you all for what you have given me.
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2015   #10
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Just in the short time I have been here I have learned alot.

I know that every time I come, there will be something new to read and learn about.

That I have tons to learn yet about tomatoes and peppers. That I know I will never catch up.

That you can do more than one graft. Which I am anxious to try. : )

That there are lots folks who are generous enough to share their experiences and knowledge which is more important to me than seeds most of the time. That they really want to see you succeed and share in your joy when you do and will pass you a tissue and more seed if you need it to try again.

To always keep an open mind.

That sharing is as much fun or funner that receiving.

The history lessons and the trials that some folks have gone through. I do so enjoy learning about the plants I am growing.

That if I want a chuckle for the day, just find a post by Worth. His sense of humor tickles me and makes me smile. : )
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2015   #11
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I found that in the world is full of decent people.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2015   #12
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Once you find a tomato that scores a 10 for taste, find other Tomatoville members that feels the same about it, and then stalk them to see what other varieties they like. This is a much more reliable way to choose new varieties to grow. And no, I'm not telling which members I'm currently stalking 😜

The other important thing I've learned is that everyone has their own techniques for growing tomatoes. While you can start out by trying to copy someone else's methods, you need to be flexible enough eventually develop your own techniques--not just ones that work in your garden, but also ones that fit into your life.

I started off trying to follow "the rules," but I now do some things that others frown down upon (crowding, pruning, top watering with the lawn sprinkler system). I get to try a lot of different varieties this way, I don't have to worry about watering when we go away, and I find pruning and tying tasks very meditative and relaxing. While my yields may suffer, I still get more than enough tomatoes each year, and I'm still finding pleasure in growing them!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #13
crazyoldgooseman
Tomatovillian™

I found that in the world is full of decent people.
Vladimír

that is what i was thinking of typing!

-crazyoldgooseman
crazyoldgooseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #14
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I learned everything here. It has become my obsession.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #15
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

What have I learned here? Everything that I know about tomato growing today
Thanks to all the kind folks who have blessed me with abundance of experience, wisdom and last but not least, seeds!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote