Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old April 21, 2009   #1
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Default Green Doctors X Brown/Black Cherry or Purple Haze

Has anyone crossed a green cherry with a dark cherry?

Could you get a brown and green colored cherry like the "Brown Derby" (Paul Robeson X Aunt Ruby's) they are selling over at Laurels?
Old April 21, 2009   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasshoes View Post
Has anyone crossed a green cherry with a dark cherry?

Could you get a brown and green colored cherry like the "Brown Derby" (Paul Robeson X Aunt Ruby's) they are selling over at Laurels?
Heather, I think I'm confused.

I looked at some older SSE Yearbooks and Brown Derby, which has always been listed as Brown Derby Mixed, has an SSE accession number of 608 and that means it was first listed in the first few years after SSE was formed in 1975.

And I'm wondering how Paul Robeson and ARGG could be parents when they weren't even listed until the 90's.

I do seem to recall that Brown Derby mixed might be seeds that Tom Wagner gave to SSE many years ago.

All those who list Brown Derby in the SSE YEarbooks say it's a long paste type, flesh is reddish brown as is the exterior color and every single person notes that it's hollow and would be OK for stuffing, and no one mentions anything at all about any green color, which you noted above.

I didn't go to Laurel's site to see what she wrote, I just shared with you what the history was and the comments of folks who have grown Brown Derby.

So I remain confused.

But to your larger question, I don't know what one would get crossing Green Doctors, for instance with Black Cherry. Since GD is a spontaneous mutation of the variety Dr. Carolyn and for years that variety showed some genetic instability, it's impossible to predict, really, except I think the F1 would probably be dark colored.

The variety Grub's Mystery Green came from the variety Paul Robeson and it's known that the green fleshed gene is present in most so called black tomatoes, and there are now several mutations known in the gf gene, so all bets are off as I see it in terms of what might appear in selections made from the F2 and subsequent grow outs..

All I know is that I don't want a hollow fruited tomato variety.
Old April 21, 2009   #3
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Caroline. . . as always you are a wealth of knowledge! I may have to try crossing green cherries with dark ones to see what I will get.

I noticed the Brown Derby at Laurels is now called "Brown Derby (Elser's)" It says it was named without knowledge of the Tom Wagner Brown Derby.

I dunno even know what a "brown derby" is, lol. . . time to use the google.
Old July 13, 2009   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

Hass, the originator of Purple Haze once crossed (I can't remember exactly right now) either Green Zebra x Black Cherry or Green Grape x Black Cherry and got what he described as a spitter.

He also finds Green Doctors to have an objectionable taste which may indicate his inherent dislike of certain tomato flavors. Whatever.

I found Green Doctors to have a particularly distinct flavor that kind of hit you in the face but wasn't awful really. In fact, I think it would make good green salsa in combination with onion, garlic, cilantro and lime juice.

When you say "a brown and green cherry," do you mean a cherry tomato that would appear a brownish hue with actual greenish stripes? If so, why not cross Brown and Black Boar with Black Cherry and see what you might come up with as you grew out the subsequent generations.

Also, I would think Green Zebra x Chocolate Cherry might give you a muddy brownish cherry tomato with green stripes somewhere down the line as you grew it out. No promises as to flavor!
travis is offline   Reply With Quote