Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old October 2, 2013   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default New weed Wacker.

I had a Honda weed wacker four stroke. It use to almost exhaust me when doing the yard, since it was such a pain to start and keep going.

Today I splurged and bought a 2 stroke weed wacker (Maruyama) in Eastwood, ON across from the truck stop. B and R Small Engine Repair RR 5. 519 467 5310. Cost $330.00 complete. http://maruyama-us.com/products/trimmers/bc2321/ The Trimmer.

I wacked a bit and it seemed fine. The head is neat and stringing is simple. http://www.durgan.org/URL/?KAHLD The head.

I am of the opinion that small four stroke engines are no better than the small two stroke. Both are a pain in the azz.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2013   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have had a commercial ECHO PAS series line trimmer for years and have never had a problem with it starting.

Fires on the second pull every time.

Just a hint.
Push priming bulb 2 or three times no more or you will flood the motor.
Put in choke position and hold throttle wide open and pull til it fires.'
Put choke in halfway position and it should start.

Let warm up in the halfway position.

I know of a guy that can start his ultra lite airplane for this same reason.

Just trying to help here as I never have a problem starting anything I have.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2013   #3
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I've always found that the Hondas are the best starting of the small engines. The only problem I've ever had starting the 4 cycle honda Powered Mantis is remembering if | or O means on.

What I like about 4 strokes is not having to keep track of fuel-oil mixes and deciding to make up a new batch or is the old one ok. I fortunately have a 73 year old tractor to burn old fuel like that.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2013   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

We also had an Echo that died a couple of years ago, but it lasted a good ten-plus years. My husband spent a good amount of time trying get it running again, but finally gave up and we sprung for a new Honda Trimmer. Our current snow blower and leaf blower are also Hondas. He only parted with his Honda commercial mower after scoring a great deal on a used Walker. And I ride a Honda. So I guess you can say we're Honda fans too.

When I was kid, dad had a part time landscaping business and we often went to work with him. There were two jobs he'd always have us do -- push the lawn mowers around, and trim the lawn edges with a pair of these -

He had some pretty wealthy clients, with very large yards. I would have killed for a self propelled mower and gas powered trimmer back then!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote