Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old June 8, 2014   #1
OkieDan
Tomatovillian™

Default Cheap cloche

I save my empty one gallon milk jugs to make a cheap cloche. I cut out the bottom, then weave a bamboo skewer down each side to hold them down. The cap can be unscrewed for watering. I plant my tomatoes 2 weeks before the average last frost date, and remove it 1 week after. The plants are usually pushing at the top by the end of the 3 weeks.
Another thing that works great is to cut a 5 ring piece of black plastic drainage pipe and place it around plants with 1 of the rings pushed into the dirt. Slow growing plants in the spring grow faster with the pipe. The pipe can be found in the outdoors department of a store like Lowes. It comes in 10 foot sections and cost about $6. You will not believe how good this works until you try it. They are good under the milk carton, but they are also very good without the milk carton. They transmit heat to the soil, and protects young plants from the wind.
OkieDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2014   #2
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I can believe all of this! I tried wintersowing this year and those milk jugs do amazing things for seedlings. Thanks for posting this.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote