Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old December 3, 2016   #31
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Run your grape trellises and fruit tree rows from south east to northwest.

Why? (just curious)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2016   #32
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Run your grape trellises and fruit tree rows from south east to northwest.

Why? (just curious)
This way the sun can pass over both sides of the row as it moves from east to west.

You could just go from north to south in the row but I am accounting for the path of the sun.
This really depends on your location on earth as to how far north or south you are in relation to the equator.
The best thing to do is put a stick in the ground and record the path during the growing season.

I think we had our fruit trees about 15 to20 feet from each other and somewhere around that distance apart in the row.
This allowed me to get the tractor in the garden each year to break up the top of the soil and till in sawdust.

The grape trellis or row was in a line with big 6 inch corner posts in the ground at each end with smaller support in the middle.
Then the fiddle string tight wire was ran for the vines to grow on.

I really do wish I had pictures of the place it was fantastic to say the very least.
Just about everything you could thing of was in the two gardens.
Fruit trees berries of all kinds.
Root crops tomatoes corn sometime melons beans onions you name it.
Our trees were peach apple cherry pear apricot and so on.
And nuts plus figs.
The walnuts and pecans weren't in the garden they were elsewhere.
The pace in south east Oklahoma would have made me rich.
I wanted to turn it into a 300 acre resort complete with private landing strip.
But my vision was laughed at.
It was in the national forest just a stones throw from Wall Mart headquarters.

Another idea that was laughed at years ago was a giant glass pyramid with exotic plants and wild life in it.
That place was built years later.
It is called Moody Gardens.
The Hyatt Regency Lost pines resort and spa here in Bastrop is an example of my childhood hood dream.

I was laughed at years ago about the wine potential of Texas and so many other things even olives.
Look at it now.
Always a man of little money but great ideas.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2016   #33
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My mom is a nurse, and we've talked about the idea of a farm-themed assisted living facility. Give the old folks some chickens to feed and a few farm animals as pets, and they will forget that they are in a nursing home.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2016   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
My mom is a nurse, and we've talked about the idea of a farm-themed assisted living facility. Give the old folks some chickens to feed and a few farm animals as pets, and they will forget that they are in a nursing home.

I think it is a great idea to tell the truth.
Even a small fishing pond.
People really neglect the elderly in our country.
It seems when they are no longer productive tax payers they are put by the wayside.
It really is a disgrace.
This is really one of the things our country as a government and as a whole needs to change.
I would rather our tax dollars went this way instead of some of the other crap they spend it on.
They spend untold billions of dollars on people to get to work so they can collect taxes but dump the old and mentally ill on the street.

Sorry for the side track.

Worth
Old December 3, 2016   #35
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Worth. I have always liked the idea of trying to do an espalier fence but I'm nervous that I would kill the trees.

-Zach
Old December 3, 2016   #36
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazedwards View Post
Thanks Worth. I have always liked the idea of trying to do an espalier fence but I'm nervous that I would kill the trees.

-Zach
You wont kill them I have braided and tied them in knots before.
Just as long as you dont break the limbs slow pressure along a period of time and you can do anything with them.
There is a park with crazy tree training by this man.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axel_Erlandson

'
Worth

Last edited by Worth1; December 4, 2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old December 13, 2016   #37
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

your area should give lots of options for fruit trees, in my experience, I like getting the bigger transplants as the deer can wreck havoc on young fruit tree saplings (sometimes necessary to fence off until they mature a bit). in addition, I have problems with "fire blight" which is a yank it up scenario. they do make resistant varieties in today's marketplace. when planting fruit trees, most varieties require cross pollination but several varieties can cross pollinate. they don't have to be next to each other (birds and bees) and can be planted in isolation or rows. spacing is utmost in rows allowing maximum spread +10ft. I like to plant trees in the fall - summer is too hot and can burn your tree.

blueberries like acidic soil, have you gotten a soil test? (I read through post but might have overlooked)

I have very acidic native clay soil, bulbs do fantastic as well as azeleas, camillas, and other shrubbery. some other things don't do as well.

I have semi-learned, to plant what works best for your soil when it comes to landscaping. yes, you can alter temporarily, but it uses goes back to origin. But I am still hard headed.

as far as a "tree" border landscape, I like to use pecan trees, a big shady wind break that bears fruit.

homesteading a site can be fun and rewarding but a lot of work and expense. plan with some thought in mind. remember all these "things" are going to require a good water source, so, would be best to incorp into home construction while the equipment is there. above all else, having easy access to a water source enhances success greatly.

just a few ideas.

Last edited by My Foot Smells; December 13, 2016 at 01:45 PM.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2016   #38
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Thank you My Foot Smells. I have not done a soil test but I should. The county I live in typically has very heavy clay so they are a lot pickier about soil test for septic. My guess is that the soil is on the acidic side. That is just a best guess though.

I didn't think about bigger trees being more resistant to deer. That is something to consider. I do want to use as much as I can and never really considered but trees.

We are wanting to put in a tree border on one side at least. Mainly for privacy and a few pine trees for a wind break.

As far as Homesteading. I'm not sure how far we want to go with that. It is very interesting to me but I realize it would be a lot of time and work. We do want chickens though.

-Zach
Old December 14, 2016   #39
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

obviously it doesn't have it happen all at once. I've seen deer eat every leaf off fruit trees and kill.

chickens: I got some chickens last year (per wife request) and got some local through a breeder, but also have two nephews who raise beef for auction at county fair. I got roped into going and of course they were auctioning off chickens in batches of 3. Wasn't much bidding going on, so decided to support the kids and picked up a set of hyland brown hens.

Long story short, those girls are dropping an egg a day since arrival and extremely personable because they have been touched and cared for extremely well. The other chickens are stand offish and holler if I pick them up. Slow to drop too.

So an idea to get your brood started, support your local county fair kids. I don't want a rooster.

On a personal comment, I dream of a big fat barn with all the trimmings (heated floor, cable access, bathroom, etc..). You got the space and can slip it in the note.

.......next, we will be talking tractors. take care.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2016   #40
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

If you're looking for fruit and grapes, Ison's has free shipping with a $100 purchase.
http://isons.com/index.php
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote