Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 9, 2017   #151
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

How is your little beauty doing? You have not posted her picture for a while.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #152
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

She is doing great. Walking and talking, just a few words and lots of gibber jabber. Still happy and sweet so far here is a pic of my sugar booger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161217_154453-resized-960.jpg (123.5 KB, 147 views)
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #153
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Dude she is awesome. You are certainly Blessed! Anymore kids in the future?
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #154
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Thanks HTG! Yeah, gardening is going to be fun this year for sure. Im hoping to get the back fenced in asap so I can just let her run around in the garden without much worry. My wife is demanding a rabbit hutch and rabbits by Easter so she can take pics And not planning on anymore. We have 2 hounds so basically 4 kids.

Last edited by BigVanVader; February 9, 2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old February 9, 2017   #155
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

She is so cute!

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #156
MissS
Tomatovillian™

If you just can not get the fence in for the little one in time, put some bells on her shoe laces so that you can find her.
My daughter brought home an "Easter Bunny" two years ago. He has made a great pet for her and even uses a cardboard litter box. I love this, as I can just pick it up and add it to the gardens.
Old February 9, 2017   #157
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Great idea! I'm going to get that dam fence up though. I have been wanting rabbits for awhile. My mom had several for years and I would collect the poop for the garden, but since they died I have missed my free fertilizer. I mentioned it to my wife and she immediately thought about bunny pics with Cora. So it's a win-win.
Old February 11, 2017   #158
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Looks like your on your way. How many plants are you growing this year? Nice pics of your market table too, it seems like your having fun, and that sure makes it all worth it.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2017   #159
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

1200 plants is the goal, so double what we sold last year. Oh sorry answered before coffee, I'm growing around 2k plants but that includes everything like flowers and other veggi starts.

Last edited by BigVanVader; February 11, 2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old February 11, 2017   #160
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

That Carhartt gear runs big on me too, the large fits like other brands X-Large. I can remember the thread where you announced your daughter's arrival, I dubbed her 'Mini-Van'. Time flies in Tomatoville too.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2017   #161
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Lol yeah, my son is LittleVanVader so Mini-Van is hilarious Seems like time gets faster the longer your alive. The past few years i have felt this sense of a "quickening" like a voice in my head saying "get it done time is short" I will be 40 this year so I guess I'm just having a mid-life crisis
Old February 11, 2017   #162
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Lol yeah, my son is LittleVanVader so Mini-Van is hilarious Seems like time gets faster the longer your alive. The past few years i have felt this sense of a "quickening" like a voice in my head saying "get it done time is short" I will be 40 this year so I guess I'm just having a mid-life crisis
Could not agree more, just turned 42 this January w/ 3 young kids and the past 7 years have been a blur.
jpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2017   #163
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

So I had mentioned my carrot bed experiment in a different thread. I started on it this past weekend. It is 3.3 ft wide and 4.3 feet long and 20 inches deep. Going to put hardware cloth in the bottom, then weed fabric, then some large stones, then more cloth, then sand/peat/potting soil mix. The goal is to grow perfect beautiful carrots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resized 2.jpg (517.1 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg resized.jpg (566.8 KB, 96 views)
Old February 22, 2017   #164
bower
Tomatovillian™

I'm thinkin you will grow perfect, beautiful carrots!

BTW congratulations on the LittleVanVader !! I have two coming this year in my extended friend- family, little boy born 13 days ago and a girl expected in July. I feel rich!!

Last edited by bower; February 22, 2017 at 07:50 PM. Reason: add
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017   #165
ibraash
Tomatovillian™

Dear BigVanVader,

I spent about 2 hours yesterday, looking at your great progress and pictures. Well done, dear friend.

I have a question about your greenhouse veggies in June if you do not mind. . What did you do regarding the excessive heat? Was it very hot? My greenhouse now is unheated and the temps are about 110 during day hours. Did you have to cool it down?

Please advise.

Best,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Well fingers crossed so far all is going well. I feel like I need to accomplish more but I don't want to be to overwhelmed. The weather here is now settled into the typical hot/humid/evening thunderstorms which is when things get a lot tougher. I have a few minor disease issues and found a few caterpillars eating my bell peppers so the spraying regiment has started and has been exhausting. Can't keep Surround WP on the plants and gave up till the forecast changes. Cukes are doing great in the GH and I think it's something I will continue in the future.

My project last weekend was a new trellis for my tomatoes. I based it off Bill's (B54Red) design and conversation with him. I plan to add more bracing later but for now it works and I think I may even have room to plant some basil and more tomatoes between the existing tomatoes. Here are some pics.
ibraash is offline   Reply With Quote