Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old August 22, 2008   #1
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Default NAVAMEY X LUMPER (Potato Hybrid)

In my attempt to create new types of potatoes, I stumble upon crosses that I make that stir my imagination in many ways. When I dug my variety that I call NAVAMEY, I was impressed with the vine and the natural production of many potato berries that are likely selfed with an occasional out cross. The potato vine is a breeder’s dream, a round russet with yellow flesh with just the right size plant, maturity, and yield.

Looking at the cross extracted today between NAVAMEY and LUMPER, I was struck by the memory of the pedigree background coming full circle; namely the Irish connection. Since the weather here in the PNW is much like where my grandfather Joe Kaighin lived until he was 21 near the Irish Sea on the Isle of Man, I was hoping to get some more germplasm that would complement my endeavor of keeping his potato growing spirit alive.

The LUMPER did very well this year in one or more patches; good yields and good flavors. Since I am the only one doing breeding work with this two hundred year old potato variety, the progeny of my breeding work may some day be released to the public.

The LUMPER is uniquely suited to organic production and does well in a broad range of soil types. Breeding away from its Irish Famine history of Late Blight susceptibility, I hope I can re-acquaint people with better selections of this heritage potato!

I make painstaking trouble to record my breeding work. As follows is a breakdown of the pedigree.

F-1 of NAVAMEY X LUMPER
WASHINGTON 2008 TPS only

NAVAN
Pedigree: S 62-47-1 x MARIS PIPER
Great Brittain 1987
Exp. # L 2651/2088
NORTHERN IRELAND PLANT BREEDING STATION

AMEY
Pedigree USDA B 6987-145 x USDA B 7805-1
USA 1999
Exp. # USDA B 9922-11

GOLD PAN
Pedigree BLACK HILLS GOLD X PLACER GOLD
CALIFORNIA 1995 (TATER MATER SEEDS)

GOLDEN AMEY
Pedigree AMEY X GOLD PAN
California 1999 (TATER MATER SEEDS)

NAVAMEY
Pedigree NAVAN X GOLDEN AMEY
WASHINGTON 2006 (TATER MATER SEEDS)

LUMPER
Pedigree UKN
Scotland to Munster (SW Ireland) 1810 or before

Tom Wagner aka Tater Mater
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2008   #2
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Tom,

This looks very interesting! Tell us more about it. Are you going to make the TPS available?

Do you have pictures of this potato?

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2008   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Tom, I to would be equally interested in this variety and reaquainting it's lines back to the european continent. Ami
Old August 22, 2008   #4
Tom Wagner

Quote:
This looks very interesting! Tell us more about it. Are you going to make the TPS available?

Do you have pictures of this potato?
Tania,

I would have ample TPS of Navamey available, but the little seed of the hybrid Navamey x Lumper would be of misplaced intent to send out. The hybrid is of import to me to me to find several phenotypes which necessitates sowing the seed here locally. The selection pressure is so high to get what one wants. With 1% kept after two cycles, even 100 seeds wouldn't go very far.

Pictures? I will have to go to the plot where I have but a single hill per 200 varieties. It will be easier for me to just go to each sack and take pictures of the single hills laid out. Good idea, maybe folks will understand better what I am doing.

Quote:
Tom, I to would be equally interested in this variety and reaquainting it's lines back to the european continent.
Ami,

Since I would love to have ample resources to make tissue culture available for export, and that not be the case; TPS is the only route to share in international exchange. Navamey by itself would be a great way to get recombinations of an Irish potato and my Golden Amey.

For Europe, with its need for Late Blight resistance, I think an alternative line would be Lump O'Gold, a cross of Lumper and Tollocan, a Mexican variety with major R genes for LB tolerance. This hybrid has many of the best features of Lumper along with the yellow flesh and LB resistance of Tollocan. The TPS would segregate for 75% durability to the disease.

Lumper, or Lumpers, is a unique heritage potato variety that has no known offspring in the world except for what I am doing.

Tom Wagner
Old August 22, 2008   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Tom, how would one go about getting TPS for Lump O'Gold? Ami
Old August 22, 2008   #6
Tom Wagner

Quote:
Tom, how would one go about getting TPS for Lump O'Gold? Ami
It would be in a small box filled with lead with a little bit of TPS. The box would be labeled, CONTENTS-LUMP O'GOLD- HANDLE WITH CARE.

With that warning it would be sure to get there, or not!

Tom Wagner
Old August 23, 2008   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

That's one way of putting it. Ami
Old August 23, 2008   #8
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Tom,
Please excuse my ignorance but what is the term potato vine??
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2008   #9
Tom Wagner

Vine = Haulm

Haulm.The stems of peas, beans, potatoes, or grasses.

I seldom hear anyone saying haulm here in the "States" about potato vines. Haulm is a rather British or European descriptor.

The quote below is typical of USA use of potato vine.

Quote:
Flail mowing and rolling are the prominent mechanical methods used to kill potato vines.
Talking about potato vines as to height, maturity, coalescing the rows, etc., must be a colloquialism.

I use the term (tomato vines) rather than tomato haulm, and some of my potato breeding produces varieties that grow like an indeterminant with vines up to 9 feet long.

Tom Wagner
Old August 23, 2008   #10
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wagner View Post
For Europe, with its need for Late Blight resistance, I think an alternative line would be Lump O'Gold, a cross of Lumper and Tollocan, a Mexican variety with major R genes for LB tolerance. This hybrid has many of the best features of Lumper along with the yellow flesh and LB resistance of Tollocan. The TPS would segregate for 75% durability to the disease.
Late Blight resistant varieties are really needed here. I did not remember it being this bad. This summer has been quite rainy and the blight on potatoes is a big problem now.

If you need any varieties tested for blight, I know a perfect area for that.
Old August 24, 2008   #11
Tom Wagner

Identification of Late Blight
and Phytophthora infesta

• Identifying late blight?
  • Look for the disease in the field
  • The pathogen requires moisture.
  • First detectable in field locations subject to long periods of wetness
The only plot of potatoes personally planted that are showing late blight are in a field that was sprinkle irrigated two times a week. Although that was great for setting thousands upon thousands of potato berries, late blight has hit those lease likely to carry resistance. I will be collecting the data on hundreds of potato clones as I collect potato berries. The sprinklers have been shut off, therefore the warm dry air has stopped the spread of the disease a bit. The berries are the last area to be affected by blight.
I will have an excellent crop of disease free potatoes to harvest along the TPS. Everything I am doing with potatoes now is 100% organically grown without sprays of any kind.

This will be a valuable resource for the future. I have most of the potato varieties in non-irrigated locations for seed tubers to store.

Tom Wagner