Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 18, 2015   #1
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Default Interesting presentation on plant needs

He starts out talking about light needs. Then CO2 needs. Then nutrient needs during different phases of production and how to amp up each piece with things like amino acids, minerals, etc. I think this is a presentation that is going to take a few views to take it all in but should make a beneficial impact on growing.

This guy focuses more on quality of product than on quantity but he explains which treatments optimize each.

One thing I learned is that t5 flourescent is sufficient for clones and seedlings. Can save money on the indoor starts to prep for the season.

I learned a bunch of stuff here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFgwWEnCa5k

Edit:
Really good tip for increasing fruit flavor growing in soil at 1:39.

Last edited by HydroExplorer; June 18, 2015 at 01:51 PM.
HydroExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #2
Slg Garden
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! I skipped to 1:39 and it was great info. I need to find a couple hours to watch the whole thing.
Slg Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #3
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, this was really illuminating for me. I've had things happen in my garden that I didn't understand. Now I understand them much better and that's the first step toward being able to exploit them.
Old June 18, 2015   #4
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Thanks you! Marked it down and started watching.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015   #5
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I first watched this video over a month ago and watched it again last night, you do get more from watching a few more times, There's a lot of good tips for hydro and soil growers, you can find a lot in the scientific literature that backs up what Harley says.
The part that I found very interesting is the role calcium plays in strengthening cell walls and increasing resistance to fungal pathogens and the role amino acids play as a driver for calcium uptake.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I watched part of it.
But not doing hydroponically, it did not interest me enough.
YMMV

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015   #7
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
I first watched this video over a month ago and watched it again last night, you do get more from watching a few more times, There's a lot of good tips for hydro and soil growers, you can find a lot in the scientific literature that backs up what Harley says.
The part that I found very interesting is the role calcium plays in strengthening cell walls and increasing resistance to fungal pathogens and the role amino acids play as a driver for calcium uptake.
Yeah that part clicked with me really well too.

2 years ago I sprayed my lettuce plants with a worm tea that uses kelp + molasses(contains iron and fulvic acid) + worm castings (contains humic acid and amino acids). So basically I was accidentally doing exactly what he said his special nutrients do.

That lettuce had NO bugs and it was a darker green than normal. It had a much stronger lettuce flavor with a twinge of bitterness and it was more filling than lettuce typically is. The plants also grew a lot faster so we were basically having salads every night. It was awesome. So I'm calling a buddy of mine this weekend to see if I can get my worm farm going again. Clearly that's the thing my garden is missing.
Old June 19, 2015   #8
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I watched part of it.
But not doing hydroponically, it did not interest me enough.
YMMV

Gardeneer
You might want to watch the other video that just covers the talk about nutrients. The stuff he's saying applies to soil and hydro. For example, lack of airflow causes a vapor lock in your leaves which blocks your plant from uptaking calcium. This causes blossom end rot which can be fixed with a foliar feed but if you understand how it is caused you can prune your plants accordingly and not have the problem in the first place.

He also gave the tip about feeding the microbes in the root zone with molasses when the plant is in fruit to get more flavorful fruit.
Old June 20, 2015   #9
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Gardeneer, check out at about 39 minute- it says, NO fungicide LOL
Anyway, is anyone has experience with amino acids? I just ordered some to try. Any tips?
Old June 20, 2015   #10
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
Gardeneer, check out at about 39 minute- it says, NO fungicide LOL
Anyway, is anyone has experience with amino acids? I just ordered some to try. Any tips?
What did you order?
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2015   #11
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

" Complex blend of all 16 aminoacids" from Kelp for less
Old June 21, 2015   #12
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

T8 will work as well and is even cheaper then T5, but I keep my T8 lamps about 1 inch above my plants T5 will give you more slack.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #13
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Also ended up listening to Full plant nutrition presentation by same presenter. Am going to get RAW Bloom and RAW B vitamins for my gardens. I do not use much of NPK products, only Amaze as foliar feed.
Old June 22, 2015   #14
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapout View Post
T8 will work as well and is even cheaper then T5, but I keep my T8 lamps about 1 inch above my plants T5 will give you more slack.

I am using T8 as well. Seems to do very good.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #15
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

That's good to know. I have some T8's laying around and was thinking about using them on seed starts. I've been using my south facing window but it's actually shaded by parts of our house and the plants have always come out leggy. I didn't know they were leggy until I sprouted a plant under a grow light and it looked totally different.