Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 19, 2015   #1
rjs55555
Tomatovillian™

Default Scientific Article about Fruit size

I came across an article that may be interesting to some of you regarding fruit size and how it is regulated in tomato plants.

Here is the link:
http://www.cshl.edu/news-and-features/scientists-pinpoint-genes-that-make-stem-cells-in-plants-revealing-origin-of-beefsteak-tomatoes.html
rjs55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

Cool stuff... thanks for posting it!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2015   #3
salix
Tomatovillian™

Interesting, thank you for posting the link rjs.
Old June 20, 2015   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Good Grief, It's Zach Lippman doing that research and now an Associate professor? How time flies.

I've known Zach for a very long time. After he got his Ph.D he did a post doc in Israel working with Dani Zimir, I think that's the right spelling, and Zach asked if I could send him seeds for 1000 different tomato varieties for the project he was going to work on.

Soooo, between Glenn Drowns, Craig LeHoullier and myself, we cross referenced what we might send, came up with the 1000 requested by him and sent them.

I knew that when he and his wife/kids moved back to the US he went to Cold Spring Harbor and I keep meaning to catch up with him, but haven't yet.

When I saw the thread title I thought it might be that older article in Scientific American about the evolution of tomatoes based on one locule to many locules as in upsizing fruits by multiple natural mutations as time progressed.

But I was pleasandtly surprised to see it was about Zach's work, who once commented just before he left israel that he was glad to be going back to the US b'c the pizza in Israel was lousy.

Carolyn
Old June 20, 2015   #5
Jeanus
Tomatovillian™

Good article thanks
Jeanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2015   #6
rjs55555
Tomatovillian™

I am glad I came across this to post.

I love science and genetics and have crossed leopard gecko's years ago and crossed a few daylilies to make a few of my own. I was excited to get my first yellow tomato microdwarf the other day from a Red Robin x Naturesweet Sunburst cross that I had made last year. I also just finished fermenting seeds from a Red Robin x Black Cherry cross from last year as well. Hopefully I find a black micro in the first few sets of seeds that I get. I got 64 seeds from the first tomato and have 2 more tomatoes fermenting out now.

My wife thinks I am nuts, but I love this kind of stuff!
rjs55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2015   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

That is a great idea to breed for a black micro cherry. I would love to have a micro variety of every color.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote