Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 19, 2018   #16
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

About one-quarter of the. dwarf project tomatoes are available in Australia and while I have some, I ran out of room on the heat pad for them. Purple heart is not one of those unfortunately at this point in time.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2018   #17
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

About one-third of the dwarf project tomatoes are available in Australia and while I have some and have been in contact with Patrina, I simply ran out of room on the heat pad for them. May do another sowing once this lot has germinated
Old August 20, 2018   #18
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

If the above double post causes any confusion, please forgive my bumble fingers, still getting used to working this site from my phone instead of a computer
Old August 20, 2018   #19
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

I understand the running out of room thing. I only planted 4 tomato plants this year and next year I plan on just 2.
rhoder551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2018   #20
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Germination race won by Orange Grosse Lisse, Yellow Striped Roman and Red Cherry Roma, with another 8 varieties having germinated since Thursday, when the first ones had popped their heads up.
Old September 3, 2018   #21
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Have had a run of frosts lately, which I had not heard about until I was about to head off for a night shift. Managed to get the potatos which had overwintered in the ground covered, but not as well as I would have liked. First photo shows the frame that I had set up with the plants that survived the frosts, showing some burnt at the front, the second shows what I have since fixed up to prevent this. Unfortunately the sweet potato slips that I had purchased missed getting covered, time to start again.

On a better note 86 tomato seedlings potted up, along with some capsicums and cucumbers in readiness for planting out in about a months time when that frosts have finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0854.JPG (210.9 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0855.JPG (154.0 KB, 137 views)
Old September 3, 2018   #22
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Nice good sized potato bin. Your frosts end as ours begin.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2018   #23
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Not happy with the germination rates that I have been getting on my toms, some quick, others slow and erratic, something to work on for next year.

have had some different varieties show up today, so in they went.

Add
KARMA Pink
Bloody Butcher
Carbon
Erica de Australie
Earls Faux Brandywine
German Johnson
some more Wes - very slow, poor germination on those sown earlier
and one called
Worlds Largest Tomato - I believe this is Hunts strain of Delicious as it turned up in Oz not long after his world record was set through a mob called "The Diggers Club" whom have/had a rep (right or wrong I do not know) for changing names of plant varieties to suit themselves.

Probably I will put in more varieties yet as there are a number that I have that need to be refreshed.
Old September 9, 2018   #24
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Frog Pond aka Yabbie Pond aka Dam

One of the advantages of having a few acres is that one can have a bit of water about, or at least confine some of it when on an old swamp. There was an existing dam on the place when we purchased the block, which we had cleaned out and deepened in 2009 or 2010. Since then we have had some of the local yabbies establish themselves (Yummy) and of course the frogs have gone berserk regularly get deafened by the calls of three species at night. The water also serves the veggie gardens during summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0860.JPG (266.9 KB, 102 views)
Old September 9, 2018   #25
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Extra cotyledons

Amongst the seedling so far germinated have been the following two, a Red Cherry Roma Tricot and a Yellow Grosse Lisse quadcot, much to my surprise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0865.JPG (157.5 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0864.JPG (172.5 KB, 105 views)
Old September 9, 2018   #26
imp
Tomatovillian™

Lucky you to have crawdads in your pond! Great list of tomatoes too. Looking forward to seeing how your garden grows.
Old September 9, 2018   #27
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Looking like you got off a good start Woz. I held off sowing my crop for a month due to the frosts, as we had them for weeks, although not too serious.

My lot are still germinating, but our Summer will be long enough, so not too concerned.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2018   #28
bower
Tomatovillian™

That's a lovely area you're living in Whoz.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2018   #29
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Imp,
Yes we are, I do not know where they came from, suspect they came as eggs washed in from a dam closer to the hills behind us. When we cleaned out the dam it was dry for several months and they were not there before hand.

Mcsee,
I was a bit latter than what I wanted also, but with all that crazy wind which we had it was a matter of making sure that things would not blow away. have sown more vars since that list was posted, will update germination list in a week or so, may yet sow more as my seed storage has not been under the best of conditions and need to check survival rates

Bower,
Yes its not to bad a patch. Those hills are to the South East and they swing around behind us to the south west. To the North, we look out towards the Main Range, Mt Baw Baw in particular, across the old swamp, all drained long ago, and foothills behind them. Will get more photos with time. Your patch looks pretty good to.
Old September 9, 2018   #30
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Most of my saved seed is getting some age to it, so I'm growing a few just for seed saving.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote