Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old June 22, 2013   #91
Diriel
Tomatovillian™

Some old timers would add in Oak Leaves, Cherry Leaves, or Grape Leaves (fresh picked off the plants). The Tannins in these leaves help keep the pickles crisp. IMO Oak is a bit too tannic / astringent. Cherry ok as long as you don't over do it. Grape is usually a good bet.

Or you can use Pickle Crisp as per the instructions and that works pretty good of course.
Diriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2013   #92
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Not sure, but maybe it's the variety of cucumbers your using? I haven't ventured beyond refrigerator pickles, but I recall reading that slicers have softer flesh than pickling varieties.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2013   #93
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

FathersDaughter is correct. Marketmore is dual purpose but primarily for slicing. I have never even heard of using Armenian Yard Long for pickles? Anyone out there ever try it?

Here is a good link discussing pickles.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2013   #94
Diriel
Tomatovillian™

http://www.pickyourown.org/makingpickles.htm

Tons of really good info here...perhaps even info overload
Old June 22, 2013   #95
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

I think boiling for 15 min might be the problem.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2013   #96
Skyking
Tomatovillian™

thanks for the links and advice and I want to read up on the sites given and we'll giver er another try in the next few days
Skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #97
Diriel
Tomatovillian™

I just put some pickles up today... 1 Quart Jar ...
3 cups distilled water (purified will work)--(bring water to boil before you add salt)
1 Tbsp. Pickling Salt // Sea Salt .... salt Without anti-caking agents or iodine added.
1 Tbsp. White 5% vinegar (add to boiling water)
-- a few whole peppercorns (put in Quart Pickle Jar)
-- a few mustard seeds (put in Quart Pickle Jar)
-- 2 bay leaves (boil in water with salt, add to the Quart Jar)--(They have good Tannic Acid for crispness and a subtle flavor)
-- a sprinkle of Tarragon (I usually use dried, but fresh is best)--(They have good Tannic Acid for crispness and a nice flavor)
3-4 pieces lightly crushed garlic (put in Quart Pickle Jar)
2 Tbsp fresh Dill ( I don't really measure this...)
3-4 whole All Spice
1 Tsp. chives (nice flavor)
-- A pinch of Turmeric (boil this, this stuff is good for many reasons...)
OPTIONAL :: 1/2 Tsp. Desura Sugar. I find that the unrefined "nearly whole" sugar adds a nice subtle flavor. I do not like my pickles sweet, but my daughter likes hers with a Slight sweetness to them.

--Makes Refrigerator Pickles--
Use good canning practices of course
P.S. You will likely have a bit of extra solution left over..
Old July 6, 2013   #98
gggeek
Tomatovillian™

Default Finding the right pickled peppers recipe?

I have a bumper crop of banana peppers and am looking to pickle some of them. I have found tons of recipes but I am not sure which will turn out the way I like. I am a huge fan of the banana peppers you get in the large jars at the store or like on your sub at Subway. However, I am unsure of which recipe will get me that end result taste.

Any insight or tips would be appreciated!
Thanks.
Old August 28, 2013   #99
enchant
Tomatovillian™

Default Mushy pickles

With my pickling cukes coming in strong, I've created a recipe that I like that makes great (imo) kosher dills. I've made a few batches and put them in the fridge, and after a couple weeks, they're still very crisp and tasty.

So I tried putting them through the canning process, and the result after a week of sitting on the shelf was a batch of very mushy pickles. I'm tossing the whole batch.

While the cukes are still coming in strong, I'd like to come up with something that will give me crisp pickles for storage outside the fridge. Here's what I did for the last (mushy) batch:

Cut off the ends of the cukes and sliced them in half or quarters, depending on the size. Put Ball pickling crisp in the jars. Put the jars into a boiling water bath, wait for the water to come to a boil again and leave them in for 15 minutes. Then take them out and leave them on the counter.

A couple of ideas come to mind, but I'm not a canning expert, so I don't know what might be ill-advised.

Shorter boiling time (like 5 min, instead of 15)
Cool the jars of pickles quickly after they come out of the bath
Don't slice them before canning (I'd prefer not to do this, because they're fairly large, and there's only so much pickle I can eat at a sitting)

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
enchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2013   #100
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Iowa State Extension and Outreach Canning: Pickles

There is comprehensive instructions. The only thing I can add to that is grape leaves help.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison

Last edited by Redbaron; August 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: check link
Old August 28, 2013   #101
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

I make refrigerator pickles. I just pack the jars with cucumbers and fill with hot brine. The lids suction down from the residual heat of the brine. I don't process at all. I use a mandolin with the waffle cutting blade and make thick pickle slices. I think with the salt and vinegar in the brine, you are pretty safe as long as you store them in the refrigerator. However, use your own judgement. This recipe is not for long term storage without refrigeration.

I think the 15 minute processing is causing the pickles to soften.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2013   #102
enchant
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Scott. Unfortunately, that site is currently down.

recruiterg, I have good success with my pickles in the fridge, but I have about 30 lb of cucumbers and I'm looking for something that will last me the winter.
Old August 28, 2013   #103
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by enchant View Post
Thanks, Scott. Unfortunately, that site is currently down.

recruiterg, I have good success with my pickles in the fridge, but I have about 30 lb of cucumbers and I'm looking for something that will last me the winter.
I checked the link, should work. If not, just use Google on the title.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old August 28, 2013   #104
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I've heard about using grape leaves before. There is also a product made by Ball, I believe, called Pickle Crisp, that you can add when making the pickles. I think it's too late for that batch but maybe next time.
Old August 28, 2013   #105
enchant
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
There is also a product made by Ball, I believe, called Pickle Crisp, that you can add when making the pickles. I think it's too late for that batch but maybe next time.
Yes, that was in my batch.