Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 26, 2006   #16
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

dr r - we lost about 300 plants to the frost, but ended up with about 6000 seedlings....sold about 4500 at the market, giving plenty away now, not too many left, but a very successful seedling sales year. Only issue is the time it takes, which leads to delayed planting for my own garden!
Old May 27, 2006   #17
Althea
Tomatovillian™

I planted our ten tomatoes out @ 2 weeks ago. All are doing very well. Last week I found a volunteer coming up in a good spot so I'll leave it and there. Im curious to find out what it will be.

The 20 eggplant I put out last week and a week and a half ago are also doing well except for a Diamond which was eaten by something.

We had about an inch of rain two days ago. Blistering hot and humid weather is predicted for the next few days, high 80's & 90's. The plants should enjoy it.

Other news, the peas are blooming, radishes are nearly ready, spinach and kohlrabi are coming along and runner beans came up two days ago. We'll be putting out flower seedlings and planting flower seeds this weekend. The tea roses are all budded. Our new apple tree has leaves!

I'm going to brew a batch of aerated compost tea this weekend.
Old May 27, 2006   #18
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

My plants have been out since April 12. Besser, Chapman, Turkey Chomp, Germaid Red, Sainte Lucie, and Old Va. have all set fruit. I'm still waiting on my non-red varieties.
Old May 27, 2006   #19
Noreaster
Tomatovillian™

Default Finally, all in

Just finished planting the last 8 OP Tomatoes...one apiece, 199 varieties.......only 10 repeated types from previous years.

Happy to have given away about 30 to others (would have kept, but ran out of room ! ). And dumped about 24 others into garbage which were the weakest seedlings, but wish I hadn't...feel like a murderer !

Everything else is done, including 15 pepper plants (hybrids), 12 eggplants (hybrids this year), and several limas, stringbeans, cucumbers, and herbs.

Unfortunately, have now run completely out of excuses for not yet getting to all those household chores the better half wants done........oh well ......wishing all a great season !

Noreaster
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006   #20
Sorellina
Tomatovillian™

Ciao all,

I put in 36 tomato plants in the main raised bed, 6 each in the new raised beds on Thursday. It was a nice cool day with a slight drizzle, perfect for transplanting. Yesterday, the 48 eggplants and 32 basil clumps went in, also very nice warmer weather, but overcast and light rain happening on and off. Today, however, has been very warm from the outset and I had to cover the eggplants with shade tarps to keep them from wilting. I transplanted 5 tomato plants into containers in the shade and they're doing just fine. I put in the 5 pairs of tomatillos behind Duane's pepper bed, hoping to use the cyclone fence to stake them as they grow. Duane's putting in his peppers tomorrow and I've lost count of how many plants he's got to put in. He turned the soil and added his compost this morning, then started to transplant some of his seedlings until the sun caught up with the bed and he thought the better of continuing. Munchkin's 3 tomato plants (Whippersnapper, Sophie's Choice, and Mirabelle Multiflora) and 1 pepper plant (Roumanian Rainbow) got shoe-horned into one of his 4'x4' raised beds. I'm thinking that Sophie might be crossed, though. She's looking very lanky and that's a lot different from how she looked last year. I have no clue how she'd end up indeterminate, though. The only plants she had to cross with were other dwarfs, unless that doesn't mean much.

Sorry for rambling. I got way too much sun today and had about 4 oz of Corona with dinner..lol, what a lightweight eh? Went straight to my head.

Cheers, everyone! Looks like all of us northern hemisphere types are just about all accounted for now with our seedlings in the ground. YAY!
Old May 27, 2006   #21
peppereater
Tomatovillian™

I'm a "budding" OP grower (budding, GET IT? Okay, no more puns.) I used to think all the info. on heirlooms was what could be found in seed catalogues. This will be my fifth year for OP's and also for Brandywines, still the finest I've ever found.
Seeing Julianna's post inspired me to reply, as I received seed from her via another forum. I received and started seed for Plum Lemon, Black Plum and Green Zebra from her, and thank you, Julianna, they're all doing well, but the Zebra is struggling a bit.
The seed I received from John, also from the other forum, and started earlier, ARGG and German Red Strawberry, has produced several very nice plants that are blooming heavily, and getting larger by the day.
I still have plants I could set out, 7 or 8 varieties, and I'm wondering if it's worth it now with the hot weather. These include San Marzano and Super Marmande. I'm also wondering about a few of the varieties I'm growing, and would appreciate comments. Are those last 2 OP's? What about Delicious? Beefsteak? I loved the flavor of Beefsteak, I grew it last year, but what about the merits of those others?
Old May 27, 2006   #22
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Most of my plants went into their containers (nothing in-ground) early and mid-May. I have just a few "strays" left to plant.

Fruit set seen on Early Girl. Blossoms about to open on Sugar Lump and Sweet Quartz Hybrid. Flower buds showing on most other early to mid-season plants, only Ernesto, Rinaldo, and Prue and a couple of others aren't showing buds.

Some interesting volunteers showing up in pots here and there: Sugar Snack F3, Red Robin, Silvery Fir Tree, Sugar Lump, plus a few unidentified plants. Non-tomato volunteers are catnip and Charles V alpine strawberries (the latter I'd purchased from Shepherd's Garden Seeds in 1997, as I recall, and I've had them around since).

GTG
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006   #23
Warped
Tomatovillian™

status is 0 to -10 celcius night temps, huge frosts and waiting for spring/summer here in aussie land!
only had 2 plants last season cause i moved and got em laaaaate, this season expansion!
Warped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006   #24
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

Here in Southeast Texas the heat has set in and last weekend I found some stinkbugs that had already hit about 6 maters so I took care of them real quick. Looks like we are in for a hot summer. Out of 60 varieties, I have 30 that have fruit on them. Thanks to the early varieties I have been feasting on maters since mid March and the larger varieties are ripening since Mid-May. But we sure could use some rain.
Chuck B
Plantersville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006   #25
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Nice Thread....DR...))) How can i say this without gettin butt-kicked...lol

Roll TIDE !!! an War EAGLE !!! love em BOTH...))) an Sic EM...DAWGS...!!!

If a Southern tomato grower caint do well, this year...somethin's wrong w/em. This is a rare...Perfect Season...for growing a tomato. Dry air....lots of wind...timely rains, moderate temps. I know it's early in the season, but ALL our plants NEED, is a wonderful Start...in order to come to fruition. An we sho gettin it....this year...))) Here comes the heat...now the mulch is gonna payoff...)))

Got 4 Big beefs...each totin about 15 fruits already, an bloomin like there aint no tommorrow.
got one Tami G that i only planted cause my Sister wanted me to...but Dang...it's a freight-train runaway...lol. Got Opalkas growin prettier than i ever seen....GRSB's loadin up w/fruits...Eva is lookin the pretttiest i ever seen her...such a Special Plant....so happy to see her Smile in my soil, an these conditions. Bucks County Hybrids...ALL...lookin Swell...settin Fruit...

All in all...a man would be a Fool, if he complained about this Season...thus far. It simply dont get no better than this. Bw's in the South....this is the Year...)))

Aint had no time to play w/graftin, but it looks like the Good Lord made up for that, here...)))

Plantin Silver Queen corn...today...in New Ground...ground i have busted my tail to prepare, an do my best by. Jus ate the first fresh green beans an potatoes, yesterday (Contender's an Pontiac Reds)....Man ...what a Taste...!!!

Jus found out that a tree...i spared from my axe...years ago, because i Loved it's Beautiful Form...and i knew it was unusual...there is no other like it, nearby...is Actually an American Persimmon. LOL...it dont get no Better than that...))) Cheers...People...)))
Old May 28, 2006   #26
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

I agree the weather has been nice but just recently we have gotten pretty dry here. Had a thunderstorm pass us yesterday but only left a sprinkle.
I just picked my first Micro Tom tomato and my other half just laughed at it, lol but there are about 8 more out there that are orange and when I put them in his salad he won't be laughing at them.
Roma, Thai Pink Egg, Oregon Spring and Yellow Pear have little tomatoes on them. Olpaka and San Marzano have plenty of buds. The rest of my varieties were planted later and still have a little time before they blossom. My Brandywine are not looking good, they are in the new raised bed which could be the problem but there are also several of the small varieties planted in there that are looking good so I don't know.
My Hawaiian Pineapple in the 5 gallon bucket has two tomatoes on it but one of the vines turned completely yellow, the rest of the plant seems fine.
My tumblers in pots have blossoms but the silvery fir tree ones I started in hanging baskets later are just now coming out of the greenhouse.
I am just so pleased to be getting tomatoes this year!
Old May 28, 2006   #27
Catntree
Tomatovillian™

Due to the 3 weeks of rain, I just got parts of the field tilled and seeds in the ground. I'm very late with the early plantings such as carrots, onions, beets, chard, taters; all those...but they are finally in and I managed to get some taters in the ground before the rain..only 8-10 rotted.

Most plants are hardening off....some are ready to go in the ground. I need to plant my row of herbs like basil, borage,dill, oregano, cilantro.......and get the perennial and medicinal herbs in the herb bed....THEN I can plant the maters and peppers. I'm not behind on those as transplants don't go in until now, anyway. I'm putting in at least 100 varieties of tomato and maybe 40 varieties of pepper this year.
Old May 28, 2006   #28
Catntree
Tomatovillian™

Oh, good for you, Gimme!!!!!!

I recently planted two persimmon seedlings.
Old May 28, 2006   #29
Dr_Redwine
Tomatovillian™

Default Status

Gimme3:
It's all good, my Brother! You got any possums hanging around that tree?
DrR
Dr_Redwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006   #30
domoarimato
Tomatovillian™

Default slightly OT

Hey Gimmee , Thats one badass pic of Ronnie underneath your name!-Bri
domoarimato is offline   Reply With Quote