Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 20, 2024   #31
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Default Honey Bombs 2023

So I saved some seeds from store bought Honey Bombs and grew them out in 2023. I think they look pretty close, but they did not taste as good and will not be invited back. To be fair, it was a very rainy summer and not a great tomato year in general. They cracked like crazy, another negative for me. DTM was 48 days from plant out (8 weeks old at plant out).

I also grew Flavor Bombs from seeds saved from 2022 grow. 2023 seemed the same as 2022. Tasted very good. I saved seeds again and will grow again. I don't seem to have pics of my 2023 Flavor Bombs. DTM was 38 days from plant out (plants 8 weeks old at plant out). For reference my Sungold DTM was 33 days.

Looking very similar to store bought Honey Bombs here.

Honey Bombs with lots of cracking in our too rainy summer of 2023. I wasn't very motivated to pick them since I have other better tasting tomatoes to choose from.

Jen
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #32
ac21686
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp View Post
So I saved some seeds from store bought Honey Bombs and grew them out in 2023. I think they look pretty close, but they did not taste as good and will not be invited back. To be fair, it was a very rainy summer and not a great tomato year in general. They cracked like crazy, another negative for me. DTM was 48 days from plant out (8 weeks old at plant out).

I also grew Flavor Bombs from seeds saved from 2022 grow. 2023 seemed the same as 2022. Tasted very good. I saved seeds again and will grow again. I don't seem to have pics of my 2023 Flavor Bombs. DTM was 38 days from plant out (plants 8 weeks old at plant out). For reference my Sungold DTM was 33 days.

Looking very similar to store bought Honey Bombs here.

Honey Bombs with lots of cracking in our too rainy summer of 2023. I wasn't very motivated to pick them since I have other better tasting tomatoes to choose from.

Jen
Looks identical to me. The rain was a nightmare in the area last year!
ac21686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #33
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

I grew Flavor Bomb last year - it is not getting invited back.

It was an oddball. Started, grew trusses, flowered, than every single flower would break off. About - 4 feet, the thing took off. Was the largest ever cherry grown in my years of garden. Tons of fruit, took forever to ripen, then the skins were a tad touch. Flavor was good.

I did like having 2 colors of cherries in my salads though, so Reinhard Kraft's Purple Sugar will make it's first appearance this year along side our usual Sunsugar.
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #34
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutOrchids View Post
I grew Flavor Bomb last year - it is not getting invited back.

It was an oddball. Started, grew trusses, flowered, than every single flower would break off. About - 4 feet, the thing took off. Was the largest ever cherry grown in my years of garden. Tons of fruit, took forever to ripen, then the skins were a tad touch. Flavor was good.

I did like having 2 colors of cherries in my salads though, so Reinhard Kraft's Purple Sugar will make it's first appearance this year along side our usual Sunsugar.
Interesting. I thought in your post last year you said you liked it. Well, my experience has not been the same as yours. No dropping flowers, and early to ripen. That makes me think it possibly is a hybrid, and mine is different. Just the luck of the draw, as they say.

Jen
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #35
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I believe I posted initially that we were going to grow it again this year. It was super productive and we liked the colorful salads we got with it. Typo - skins were a tad tough, not touch... oops! I did post on the problems growing it when it first started - in all my years I've never had a tomato like it. I thought maybe it was because I saved seed from a store bought cherry tomato. I'm not saying I'll never grow it again. I decided to try RK's Purple Sugar to see if we like it better.
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote