Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old February 17, 2006   #1
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Foliar sprays Pros and Cons for fertilizing and disease con

What has been everyone's experience in using foliar sprays for:
1) fertilization, , use of manure tea and other fertilizers

2) disease control using manure tea and/or aspirin.

I am interested in frequency of application and concentration of the solutions

I recently saw a reference from the Univ. of Rhode Island on using aspirin but can't find it. Today must be Spud's senior or Alzheimers day

Thanks,

Spud
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2006   #2
Dunkel
Tomatovillian™

I used a foliar feeding product I developed last year. Some of the ingredients in it are natural pest deterrents and prevented certain diseases as well. My plants were still very healthy when an early snow on October 22nd killed them. I will refrain from naming my product or where you can get for fear of getting in trouble for advertising.

Some micro nutrients are more readily available to tomatoes through the foliage.

What the country needs is dirtier fingernails and cleaner minds. - Will Rogers
Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2006   #3
Torquill
Tomatovillian™

No worries, Dunkel -- Mischka specifically mentions in the guidelines that gardeners are welcome to post the sources of their equipment, supplies, etc. So long as you're not trying to sell it, go ahead and link away.

If I didn't know better, I'd say some other site had made you gunshy or something. :wink:

As to foliar feeds -- I've started feeding my alliums once a week with fish emulsion, and I often find that my tomato seedlings need a little boost sometime when they're small... I just hit them with MG today. In the past I've used seaweed extract with incredible results even after the first day or two of daily misting. This season they seem okay, but the peppers were turning a little yellow and slowing down so I figured I'd tag the tomatoes too.

Once they're in the ground, my fertilizers tend to smell bad, so I'd rather do soil drenches than sprays. (Don't ever spray fermented alfalfa tea... *shudder*)

--Alison
Torquill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2006   #4
lubadub
Tomatovillian™

I have been using foliar feeding for several years. Initially I spray something high in P. Then after the blossoms open I move on to something high in K and maybe with a bit of calcium as well. Foliar feeding should be done in a manner such that the leaves are dry before nightfall or you may see an increase in disease. Morning works best for me. I would suggest that once a week is adequate. Besides using a water soluble fertilizer once a week I also use a fish/seaweed emulsion once a week. Everything is applied in a dilute form. There are many ways to do this. One company that has organic water soluble fertilizers that you might want to look at as they have a plan for the entire season for tomatoes is Agro-K. They have somehow attached chemical fertilizers to a saccharide molecule and so evidently this is considered to be organic. I am not suggesting that you buy their products but only that you check them out. I can tell you that a lot of pumpkin growers are now using their system and foliar feeding their pumpkin at least 5 days a week. Of course, they are growing for huge and not taste.
Marv
lubadub is offline   Reply With Quote