Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 11, 2017   #256
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

I have a friend in EU that sends me seeds for tomatoes & peppers---I don't know if it's her translator software or maybe Russian sites she gets seeds from but the pepper descriptions almost always say "The fruits in technical ripeness - green, in a biological - red." Huh? I've never seen that wording anywhere. Technical ripeness and biological ripeness? Here we'd just say fruits ripen from green to red, and that's pretty much true for most sweet varieties not yellow, orange or purple, except for a few being bred to remain green. I don't know if it's google, bing, or Russian & Ukrainian translation errors. Maybe Andrey knows.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017   #257
Marko
Tomatovillian™

Korney, look at this link: http://www.institut-palanka.co.rs/en...nt/pepper.html
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017   #258
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
HAHAHAHAHA!!! Thanks from Slovenia! Every item on that page had that! I DID NOT BOTHER going any further but assume the rest of the pages are similar! That site is in Russia so maybe we need to blame Putin!
Old July 12, 2017   #259
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

The peppers are distinguished by the technological maturity when the fruits are suitable for loading and direct consumption. The fruits are solid and can withstand transport and storage. In the second stage - botanical maturity harvested fully equipped seeds for seed harvesting.
I've never heard anything about tomatoes.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #260
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
The peppers are distinguished by the technological maturity when the fruits are suitable for loading and direct consumption. The fruits are solid and can withstand transport and storage. In the second stage - botanical maturity harvested fully equipped seeds for seed harvesting.
I've never heard anything about tomatoes.
Vladimír
Thanks for clarifying that! But why don't they just say unripe & ripe? I thought it is
known you should only harvest seeds from ripe fruits.

I shared that link with my EU friend & she said that site is in Serbia, not Russia. I explained that we don't use that terminology in most English-speaking countries (technological/technical maturity & biological/botanical maturity.) She said, "I translated the text for sweet pepper description in Google translator...
As I wrote to you- I don't know English so well. I learn English in school more than 25 years ago.. And I never used it after school. Just only when I started to sell seeds..."
Old July 12, 2017   #261
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Thanks for clarifying that! But why don't they just say unripe & ripe? I thought it is
There is "ripe enough to eat" (green) versus "fully ripe"(red). They assume you DO know that they need to be fully ripe to harvest seeds.

The technical ripeness lets you know they're going to have some taste and not be hard as rocks in the green stage.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #262
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Immature tomatoes are useless. Technlogical are ripe for a meal, have a bad seed. Botanically mature are not suitable for food (they are no longer tasty, the flesh is not brittle, etc.). They are really excellent only for seeds.
Vladimír
Old July 15, 2017   #263
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Some photos of tomatoes that I'll grow in the hotbed next year too.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0890SoCh.jpg (225.4 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0897SoCh.jpg (238.0 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg Sarayev M-22-Vladimir Gross- 2017-07-14.jpg (189.7 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0894 0-33.jpg (198.3 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0895Shta.jpg (235.9 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0891Kali.jpg (181.3 KB, 180 views)
Old July 15, 2017   #264
korney19

If you like Sophie's Choice, have you tried Lime Green Salad? I find the plants are similar size, early, productive... LGS (top) & SC (bottom)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LimeGreenSalad01.jpg (47.7 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Sophie'sChoice.jpg (47.0 KB, 174 views)
Old August 12, 2017   #265
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

That is our terminology for peppers and many other vegetables since Soviet Union times (technical/biological). Don't ask me why. Because we are different Putin is not involved or guilty

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post

I shared that link with my EU friend & she said that site is in Serbia, not Russia. I explained that we don't use that terminology in most English-speaking countries (technological/technical maturity & biological/botanical maturity.) She said, "I translated the text for sweet pepper description in Google translator...
As I wrote to you- I don't know English so well. I learn English in school more than 25 years ago.. And I never used it after school. Just only when I started to sell seeds..."

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #266
MdTNGrdner

I find this making good sense to me. Many peppers are most usable when technically ripe, not botanically ripe. By saying green it could mean two different things, one not fully developed and hard, two just a green color but perfect for eating.

Like Nancy and Andrey I'm using the term technical instead of technological. I think that really is a translation glitch since technology / technological denotes man-made or machinery.
Old August 13, 2017   #267
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

You're right, it's technical maturity.
Vladimír
Old September 26, 2017   #268
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

In 2018, I want to continue this project with very early detergent tomatoes. Seeds of selected varieties I want to sow at the end of November. I think it is high time to decide which varieties to grow. So far I have been counting on the varieties that proved to me last year - 0-33, Sarayev M 22, Sophie's choice and Sarayev Shtambovyi. Tell me which varieties could fit me. Is there a very early low dwarf from a Dwarf project? Meanwhile, it's just about selecting some varieties. Then I want to look for seed sources. I'm waiting for Tanya to have some interesting new varieties in her offer for 2018.
Vladimír
PS.: I also consider ordering for Casey's Heirloom Tomato (for example, Yaponskyi Karlik, ..) but I do not yet know if it sends seeds to Europe. Seeds of Mongolia Karlik I have not found anywhere outside Russia and Ukraine. There they have the seeds, but they do not send them across the border.
Old September 26, 2017   #269
korney19

Vladimir, is the problem getting seeds OUT of RUS/UKR, or getting IN to CZ? PM me your address, I have friend that has some Mongolian Dwarf....

Last edited by korney19; September 26, 2017 at 03:50 AM.
Old September 26, 2017   #270
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir,

This thread lists some:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=40996

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote