Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old October 23, 2006   #1
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Default Recommendations

I was excited to see this forum! Thanks to Tom for his valuable experience and contributions as well.
I would like to have some recommendations for dry potato that (of course) tastes good, stores good and would do well in the midwest. Why dry? I grew up in Maine and my grandparents always grew and stored their own potatoes (and everything else) in their dirt basement. They were eaten often and remain a great comfort food to me. Nothing tasted better than a potato that Nana mashed on the plate with a little butter. It seems to me that they were "dry" as compared to the potatoes that I've grown recently. I really dislike a potato that gets soupy with the addition of even the tiniest amount of butter. While I'm sure there are varieties that can stand on their own without the butter, that is my preference My next garden will be in the midwest, KS to be exact. I like to grow different varieties but have not yet found one to fit this bill. Thanks for any recommendations!
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2006   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have found that if you put the potato in cool water and then put the stove on medium to medium low heat covered, the potato cooks more evenly.
This is a common mistake made by folks
The common russet potato is not the best for mashing in my opinion but, ‘to each their own on that one.
Some chiefs recommend a mix of two different kinds of potatoes for mashing.
It is very easy to over cook the potato when it comes to mashing them and it is best to let them steam off to get rid of the excess moisture in them before mashing.
And I think some folks us too much milk in the mix, I don’t use hardly any.
Just more sinful butter, don’t tell my wife as I hide this from her.
And last but not least here is a link on potatoes that may help.
I didn’t mean for this to turn into a cooking class I’m just trying to help.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Gold_potato
I like Yukon gold’s and red potatoes for mashing.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2006   #3
landarc
Tomatovillian™

Worth, Worth, Worth...my old uncle, who grew potatoes commercially in Idaho for years, from the 1920's through to the 60's (when he switched to sugar beets because America needs more Pepsi) always said the best potato is an Idaho Russet and that it is more about how you treat the soil and store the potato. Also, he said you had to 'harden' them off before picking them up. Don't really understand any of this, but, I know his potatoes were the best. Baked or steamed and mashed, with butter and maybe a Tbsp of cream or milk.

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2006   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Bob I like lumpy potatoes with skins.

Worth
Old October 23, 2006   #5
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Landarc, see, I want to know how to "harden" them off too! You have to cure sweet potatoes and other veggies, wouldn't you have to cure a potato for storage? I would bet that your old uncle knew what he was talking about.

Worth, I too like lumpy potatoes but no skins. I had hesitated to say that I liked dry potatoes, not sure of proper potato ettiquette (sp?) I mean, is saying I like a dry potato like saying I like a dry, mealy tomato?? But I figured that is what I like and there can't be much wrong with that.

My MIL uses a hand mixer to fix her mashed potatoes and they are creamy and almost pourable. Ick. I eat them with a smile because there isn't a potato that I've met that I don't like, and after all, it is the MIL. I hand mash mine and enjoy a firmer texture with a lump or two. Not big lumps or hard spots, just a little tad of lumpiness. I feel that if someone at the table wishes a different texture, add butter and mash it with your fork.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2006   #6
landarc
Tomatovillian™

fluffy...I would describe it as fluffy. That is the texture I remember, my uncles potatoes where fluffy. They were also taters, not potatoes.

Some where else in these tato threads was a mention of leaving them on the mound covered by the greens to cure or some such thing.

by the by, I do like mached yukon golds with lumps and skins meself

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2006   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

We had pota----pardon me, tater bens in one of our feed barns that we kept ours in, along with the onions.
I don’t know if we did it right and I never had a bad meal at home I just ate and ate and ate.
Life was good,
It was my job to go get the taters for supper and toss out the bad ones while feeding my baby Brahman bull I had at the time his name was George, he turned into a big pet that I could ride.

Worth
Old November 3, 2006   #8
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Who would have thought - simple mashed potatoes - here's an informative link:

http://homecooking.about.com/library.../aa111802a.htm

Personally, I prefer boiled russets - the secret to making them fluffy is to drain the boiled potatoes then put the pot back on the heat and shake until dry - then add a dab of butter and a shot of milk/cream - and use a potato masher to achieve desired texture ....