Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old January 20, 2013   #61
Mlm1
Tomatovillian™

Wow, very nice. You have been busy this winter. I can imagine that eventually you will have that whole hillside made into raised beds. That would be one way to get rid of the thrip hosts.
Marla
Mlm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2013   #62
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Marla, not a bad idea, and one my wife had suggested (just one level a year is all). But, I'm quite certain my back would literally fail me long before I reached half-way down the hillside. I need heavy machinery for that job, and skilled labor. When I have it finished up, you should stop by in the Spring with your husband -- maybe on one of those biking days.

Best.
-naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2013   #63
dice
Tomatovillian™

In a container thread, a user mentioned Empire Builder Indoor-Outdoor
for container mix. It looks like they sell bulk as well as bags and can
deliver truckloads, although that may depend on the local distributor.
No idea what the price is, but it sounds pretty much ready to use:
http://sanctuarysoil.com/empire-builder/

Looks like there a couple of distributors in Rocklin, and Mallard Creek
can probably do bulk delivery.
Old January 20, 2013   #64
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Hi Dice, thanks for posting that alternative for a container mix. I'll definitely contact them to learn more. They list quite a few goodies for their mix, though sadly no percentages:
"Coco Coir, Sphagnum Peat Moss, Composted Forest Humus, Worm Castings, Coco Chips, Lava Rock, Pumice, Perlite, Gypsum, langbeinite, sea bird and bat guano, fish bonemeal, feather meal, bonemeal, limestone, greensand, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, glacial rock dust, azomite, soybean meal, and rice bran."

Let's see what the pricing comes in at.

--naysen
Old January 22, 2013   #65
dice
Tomatovillian™

Mallard Creek seems to be a landscape materials supplier.
You might check to see what else they have and what
truckload delivery costs.
Old January 22, 2013   #66
Mlm1
Tomatovillian™

Naysen, I think this would be a good site for organic soil. Not sure of cost and delivery fee but they are a good company so might be worth checking. They are located in Grass Valley.
http://www.rareearthlandscapematerials.com/About.html
I'll plan on a visit this spring-we'll ride our bikes over-thanks.
Marla
Mlm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2013   #67
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Hi Marla, thanks for passing along the link. I'm looking into it now, along with Dice's suggestions.
-naysen
Old January 22, 2013   #68
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

MLK day offered an opportunity to get down to business and finish the wall. What a pain, but what a pleasure to have a new bed with which to play around this season.

Next, I must fill her up. Then, irrigation setup. Then, finally, we can plant something.
-naysen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0096.jpg (351.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0097.jpg (520.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0098.jpg (376.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0100.jpg (385.4 KB, 25 views)
Old January 22, 2013   #69
arivaraci
Tomatovillian™

Man, I thought double-digging my new rows was work until I saw your wall. Phew, I am tired just looking at it. It looks real nice, though. Good Job!
arivaraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2013   #70
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

I've done some digging around on pricing for the various soil options bandied about here.

So far, the best price I can get on the Empire Builder that Dice mentioned is $372 per 2.2CuYd tote. There's a cheaper "Victory" mix that is available for $280 (again 2.2CuYd). The deliver charge is $50. So all and all, that's rather quite expensive stuff. Not far cheaper than just buying the 1.5CuFt FoxFarms bags of name your fancy organic mix.

Marla's company (rareearthlandscapematerials.com) was a bit more reasonable. They have a Premium Planting mix that goes for $59.99 a CuYd, comprised of a Base of several Organic OMRI Compost, Fir Bark Fines, Pumice, Perlite, Peat, Rice Hulls and Worm Castings. And then a Gardenblend of Sandy Loam Soil, Humus,OMRI Compost, Mushroom Compost & Chicken Compost for 38.99 CuYd. The problem there is that they're located in Grass Valley and will charge ~$100/hr for delivery and have a 6cuyd minimum, else fees.

And then there's always good ol' Hasties right down the road, less than a mile away. I can get free delivery from them (@4 CuYd) and they have various decent products, all reasonably priced for bulk. That's what I did last year. I'm leaning towards the same for this round. I can't think what could be worth the four to six hundred additional dollars.

Thanks for all the options.
-naysen
Old January 23, 2013   #71
dice
Tomatovillian™

What direction does the hill face?
Old January 23, 2013   #72
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Dice, unfortunately, it's a North-facer. But I expect most late Spring, Summer, early Fall hours will have the Sun high enough angled (for the main part of the day) to not matter. Except perhaps behind those 15' cherry plants.
-naysen
Old January 23, 2013   #73
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

It turned out awesome Naysen!!! Good work.
My continued struggle into my third season is still finding a good and reasonable source of soil for my beds not to mention I dont own a truck. BAH. GL.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2013   #74
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Crandrew, yeah, soil procurement can be a bear. I gave in this morning and just opted for the cheaper option that I used last year. I used the Capitol Sand and Gravel company that's less than a mile away from my home. I pay no delivery charges on delivers greater than 4CuYds, and their prices are very low compared to the others I've been researching. I'm sure their materials aren't as fancy, but I'll have to make up for that with some tender loving soil building work over the coming years.

Here's what I'm having delivered:
- 2 CuYds Premium Organic Compost (Fir Fines); $28/yd
- 2 CuYds 50/50 Blend (Forest Humus/Premium Top-soil Blend); $35/yd
- 1/2 CuYd Decomposed Granite, Screened; $46/yd
- 1/2 CuYd Red Lava Sand Fines; $44/yd

I'll mix the above with Organic Peat Moss, Perlite, GreenSand, well aged horse manure (from last year), Worm Castings from my home farm, Rabbit Poo from a local farm, Espoma Garden Lime, Alfalfa Meal (Pellets and ground), and Cottonseed meal as needed to bring down the pH.

I'll post my specific ratios later this weekend after I've had a chance to assess the dump of stuff on my driveway and the rest of it. I expect its should work out to be around 45% compost, 30% DG, Lava Sand fines, gravel, topsoil, and and 25% all that other stuff I listed above.

Lots of work yet to be done.
--naysen
Old January 23, 2013   #75
dice
Tomatovillian™

Maybe you could borrow a goat to mow the top of that hill for you.