Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old September 23, 2014   #91
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Cook shrimp in butter chilli powder and red pepper.
Don't skimp on any of it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2014   #92
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Tex Mex is OK, but I prefer Southwestern. :-}

Last edited by drew51; September 23, 2014 at 11:34 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2014   #93
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
Tex Mex is OK, but I prefer Southwestern. :-}
Drew isn't southwestern - Tex Mex with added corn and black beans? Just kidding. But there are real differences and misconceptions. It would be very interesting to see Our Cookbook sort of deal with local food interests and those misconceptions. I for one would love to participate as someone wanting to learn and I don't mind contributing to what I have misconceived along the way.

Cooking has everything to do with how we live. The more we learn - the better off we are. Poor, rich, and everywhere in-between...if we don't learn about cooking, we eat whatever is served or is convenient. Maybe that is why so many are overweight? I am one of those people 50 pounds overweight. I turn 50 in April, and I want to eat good food and lose those 50 pounds along the way.

Southwestern is thought of as more healthy. Maybe there could thread about southwestern cooking? I'm interested and so is my fat ...
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2014   #94
drew51
Tomatovillian™

My post was sort of sarcastic. Tex Mex is considered Southwestern, but beyond that not sure what I meant by southwestern? And I like food, my problem too. I'm about 50 pounds overweight, although I used to be 80 pounds, and I have kept the 30 off for a couple years. I make a dish called southwestern spaghetti that is a staple in our family. One of our favorites. It's sort of Italian meets Tex-Mex. A spaghetti sauce with chili spices and served in a casserole dish. The pasta is coated with eggs, it's awesome.
Here is a the basic recipe I add basil, taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, and green chili's too. Parsley,and thyme can also be added.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Southwe...r_results_p1i3

A lttle trick is when coating the eggs use only 1/2 cup milk (or cream, or half and half), and keep pasta on warm burner so eggs cook and coat pasta. It's not runny if done right. Mix in pasta pot and transfer to casserole dish leaving any liquid behind. Check reviews. This is what I really like about the recipe, egg-noodles! They stay in place in the casserole dish. Yummy stuff!
I use a corning ware dish and use the glass top, not aluminum foil.

Last edited by drew51; September 24, 2014 at 06:36 AM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2014   #95
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

I have been inspired. Think tonight I will do something similar with a mix of tomato and tomatillo. I don't have eggs on hand, so will have to forego that part. My peppers will be sweet paprika. That should make a good enough pasta casserole with some white cheese. Might even use a few chopped, boiled potatoes I made earlier this week.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2014   #96
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The trick to a really good tortilla is fresh Masa that is ground up and used to make the tortilla within minutes or just a few hours after grinding and the right corn.

Here it the process for this.
Growing up we made this stuff in huge pots.

Worth
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...8m9Trk1m9gEUdw

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...naPKBki0NeD7yg

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...4eKPSUCLzLo1mg

http://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/201...corn-masa.html

Last edited by Worth1; October 5, 2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old October 5, 2014   #97
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default No mess Tex/Mex chili burger.

Get about 1/2 pound of ground chuck more or less.
1/4 cup of fine minced fresh onion almost to a liquid.
1/4 or more cup of good white cheddar cheese grated real fine.
About 1 heaping tablespoon of chilli powder a pinch of salt.
Thoroughly mix all of this up and make into a ball.
Put into refrigerator wrapped in plastic wrap.
Sweep and mop the house put the trash out and pick up the place.
When all of your chores are done it will be time to mix up the meat one more time and cook it in a skillet.
Then go ahead and make the burger.
I will eat mine with a 50/50 mix of mayonnaise and yellow mustard on the bun with all the fixings and a hot pepper.
This way you dont have a runny chili burger but all of the flavor.

Worth
Old October 5, 2014   #98
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Chili

I'm going to go ahead and copy and paste my chili recipe here from the Photo section I posted it in.

As always you can adjust the spices to taste and I would add paprika to it also if you like.

Here it is.
Hint, If you like chili you can use the your V/8 juice instead of tomato sauce.
Just cut back on the amount of water you use.
I normally use one 12 ounce can for about 6 quarts of chilli you could use more.
About 3/4 cup of chili powder.
About 2 tablespoon cumin.
1 Teaspoon red pepper.
2 Tablespoons garlic powder and about 1/4 cup roasted garlic cloves.
One cup chopped onion.
One big 24 ounce ounce can of chopped Anaheim chilli peppers.
One small 7 ounce can of chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
Put about 2 pounds or more on meat in a big crock pot and put on medium at around 8:00 PM get up at 5:AM the next morning and add 1/4 cup of masa flour mixed with water.
Salt to taste.
Let cook for another 2 hours and eat.

I want to add we have prime rib for dinner on Sunday nights where I work.
I use about 8 thick slices of the stuff to make the chili.
I would rater use a chuck roast but I have to use what I can get my hands on.
Just cut it up into cubes.
If I cant get my hands on masa flour at work I will put about 5 or 6 big tamales on top and let them cook over night and mix it up the next day.
In a pinch I will grind up cornmeal in a mortise and pestle, a lot of work.

There you have my secret recipe for chilli.
Old October 5, 2014   #99
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I foresee some chili in my future....something different than all the potential Oktoberfest / german fare over the next 2 weeks. Sighhhhhhh.

Your recipe isn't that different than some I've made in the past, but I've used whatever peppers I've got fresh or canned on hand, and adobe isn't easy to find here. Guess I'm going to go on a hunt or a crossborder shopping trip.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2014   #100
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
I foresee some chili in my future....something different than all the potential Oktoberfest / german fare over the next 2 weeks. Sighhhhhhh.

Your recipe isn't that different than some I've made in the past, but I've used whatever peppers I've got fresh or canned on hand, and adobe isn't easy to find here. Guess I'm going to go on a hunt or a crossborder shopping trip.
You can make adobe easy all you need is clay sand water and some straw.
For adobo if you have a Portuguese or Spanish area you could find it there as that is where it came from.

Adobo is like curry powder as there are so many different kinds from powder to the sauce.

Not surprisingly everyone calls chipotle chipolte and adobo adobe.
Then there is the famous chili relleno pronounced ree leeno and ree lano.
Ive even heard it pronounced rayarno and raynaro.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; October 5, 2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old October 5, 2014   #101
Zana
Tomatovillian™

We've got a fairly large Portuguese population around here and growing South American population but not a large source for Tex-mex or Mexicano food stuffs. Should've picked some up while I was across border this weekend, but didn't have time. Oh well.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old October 5, 2014   #102
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post

Zana, chili is exactly as you described above. It is made with what you have readily available. It is meant to be a good hearty meal. I've made chili out of beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and one day - I plan on throwing some shrimp in there at the last minute. I've read about chili without tomatoes...uh-huh.
But your post here made me think about making some chili with a German twist this October... Maybe a Knockwurst chili with Serrano peppers?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2014   #103
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I've made chili with different sausages or sausage meat...including various German or other Euro-style sausages...and even with some Armenian sujuk. Now that was seriously killer tasting chili....hmmm..will have to make some more of that soon.

As for Oktoberfest...since I'll be spending the better part of 12 or more hours a day at our Kiwanis Karlsberghaus at the Aud Festhalle from Tuesday to Saturday...and then into next week...I look for something other than just German food to eat (what we have at the Festhalle).....as a change of taste. LOL

Kitchener-Waterloo's Oktoberfest is the largest outside of Munich. We have over 750,000 people visit our Bavarian Festival during the 9 days of the Festival. Our Festhalle is licensed for a wee party of about 2100 people.....just a wee bit of beer is served too.

~ Anonymous

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old October 28, 2014   #104
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here is a pile of videos with a nice lady cooking in them.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0c..._bS5LELHd9v8qA
Old October 29, 2014   #105
Tomato Beth
Tomatovillian™

Try amazon.com for the supplies you can't buy locally. I have bought all sorts of unusual spices and items there that I can't get locally. My favorite is the Kauai coffee.