Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 21, 2017   #541
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I use the Ortho dial and spray on similar stuff.
Work well enough but mine is an old style.
The filter is different now.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2017   #542
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
Just ordered a bottle of Texas Tomato Food and (separately, from the big orange box store) an all-purpose sprayer with metering dial that fits on the end of a garden hose (free shipping; yay!) The search function and I aren't getting along at the moment, but am I correct in thinking that these two will work together?
Yep, they should work for just fine.
Old May 21, 2017   #543
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Cool! Thanks, MissS and Worth! Planted out about two dozen seedlings today; two dozen more to go... Should see blossoms by the second week in June and will apply then. Fingers crossed!
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2017   #544
Togo77
Tomatovillian™

I read this entire thread. My take was this stuff had to be to good to be true. I ordered a half gallon just to try it.
I am astounded at the results. It is absolutely crazy what an impact it has made on my garden. Blooms and new fruit everywhere in just one week.
Togo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2017   #545
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'm aggravated I cant buy it locally and I live right up the road about 150 miles from the guy.

I have also searched high and low for a Dramm water wand and cant find one of them either.
Just cheap knockoffs.
Worth

Last edited by Worth1; May 31, 2017 at 07:55 AM. Reason: can can't
Old May 31, 2017   #546
Hntrss
Tomatovillian™

Worth - I'm not sure if you are looking for a specific model, but a quick search showed plenty of Dramm wands for sale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0092.jpg (244.3 KB, 172 views)
Hntrss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2017   #547
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hntrss View Post
Worth - I'm not sure if you are looking for a specific model, but a quick search showed plenty of Dramm wands for sale.
Thanks I can find them on line.
I have the trigger handle but the tube and end spray head got wiped out with my lawnmower.
I might be able to build those parts with my lathe.
Old June 2, 2017   #548
SarahBeth
Tomatovillian™

Is Texas Tomato food suitable for organic gardens? I'm wondering mostly about its effect on the soil food web.
SarahBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2017   #549
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahBeth View Post
Is Texas Tomato food suitable for organic gardens? I'm wondering mostly about its effect on the soil food web.
Welcome, SarahBeth !

It's possible your soil has excellent structure but is low in nutrients (consider a soil test at some point - call your extension agent for lab suggestions). Here is my rant on fertilizers.

Texas Tomato Food certainly is a prime product. However there is no wonder pill for fertilizer imho that will magically make your plants better than the next person. For example, Dr. Earth also makes an organic liquid fertilizer for tomatoes called Home Grown that has a good reputation. Some people swear by Neptune's Harvest products. One of the pros on the forum (and I have also used it with great success) uses a granular fertilizer that comes in a tomato shaped container and is widely available at many chain stores. Several of the greenhouse growers have potions too. Check out akmark posts for his fertilizer regime. His plants are goliath. Picking a fertilizer is not as monumental an event as we all wish it was. They all mostly do the job needed.

Try any one product for tomatoes and see how it works for you. Report back on your plants progress and the experts can fine tune your regime if you go forward with a soil test.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2017   #550
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have to say there can be a huge difference in the performance of some vegetables when different fertilizers are used. I have used Miracle Grow, Tomato Tone, Neptune's Harvest and others. None of them came close to doing what Texas Tomato Food does for tomatoes. One of the problems with gardening in the deep south is the failure of so many blossoms to set fruit due to the heat and humidity. I don't know what makes it different but my fruit set with Texas Tomato Food is far superior to any other fertilizer I have used. Another thing it seems to do is improve the flavor of the tomatoes and the overall health of the plants. There may be other products out there that are as good but I have not seen them yet. It will take some high recommendations from some people that I trust before I will ever go to another fertilizer for the regular feeding of my plants. I still add soil amendments when preparing a bed and they do contribute but without the TTF my production would be far less.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2017   #551
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hntrss View Post
Back to this for a minute.
I stopped by Bloomers in Elgin on the way home yesterday and they had the darn things but expensive as all get out.
What they did have and what I really needed was the shower head alone so I bought it.
Now I can fix my damaged one.

The threads are 11-1/2 threads per inch standard garden hose threads so they will fit on anything like that.

I asked about Urban Farms Fertilizers and they had never heard of them.
But it wasn't the owner.
The search continues.

Worth
Old June 3, 2017   #552
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Back to this for a minute.
I stopped by Bloomers in Elgin on the way home yesterday and they had the darn things but expensive as all get out.
What they did have and what I really needed was the shower head alone so I bought it.
Now I can fix my damaged one.

The threads are 11-1/2 threads per inch standard garden hose threads so they will fit on anything like that.

I asked about Urban Farms Fertilizers and they had never heard of them.
But it wasn't the owner.
The search continues.

Worth
I bought a different brand called "YardSmith" from Lowes. It came also with a brass shut off ball valve (added). Cost under 9 bucks.
I don't like those dial up plastic things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wand.ys.JPG (6.0 KB, 110 views)

Happy Gardening !

Last edited by Gardeneer; June 3, 2017 at 07:59 AM.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2017   #553
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I bought a YardSmith from Lowe's too, and liked it so much I went back and bought two more to add to my garden stuff. I don't want to be without one. I like that I don't have to bend to water with it.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2017   #554
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

In the process of rebuilding my Dramm as we speak.
Need to go to HD to get a brass male hose end repair fitting because I dont want to turn one out on the lathe.
Not worth the time and trouble.

Worth
Old June 3, 2017   #555
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I have to say there can be a huge difference in the performance of some vegetables when different fertilizers are used. I have used Miracle Grow, Tomato Tone, Neptune's Harvest and others. None of them came close to doing what Texas Tomato Food does for tomatoes. One of the problems with gardening in the deep south is the failure of so many blossoms to set fruit due to the heat and humidity. I don't know what makes it different but my fruit set with Texas Tomato Food is far superior to any other fertilizer I have used. Another thing it seems to do is improve the flavor of the tomatoes and the overall health of the plants. There may be other products out there that are as good but I have not seen them yet. It will take some high recommendations from some people that I trust before I will ever go to another fertilizer for the regular feeding of my plants. I still add soil amendments when preparing a bed and they do contribute but without the TTF my production would be far less.

Bill
This is my first year using TTF and I've only used organic products before with no salts so I was hesitant to damage my soil biology in any way. Moving over 2 tons of manure with a pitchfork and wheelbarrow will do that. The only reason I decided to use it was the reviews from TV family. So far I'm impressed. My blooms have been bigger, set well, and the number of flowers seems much higher...some clusters hitting 25-30 flowers. I'm withholding final approval till late season, but so far I can definitely see a postive difference.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote