Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old May 30, 2015   #46
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
The Sustainable Agricultural Endo Mycorrhizae is the same MycoApply product as VivaRoots!
I have this stuff. Is there a way to add it to my already planted blueberries? Or, would that not be helpful?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2015   #47
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Ericoid mycorrhiza is the mycorrhizal fungi inoculate that Blueberries as well as Azalea, Camellia, Cranberry, Heather, and Rhododendron, form a symbiotic relationship with.

Endo and Ecto do very little, if anything at all, for blueberry plants. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ericoid_mycorrhiza

Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; May 30, 2015 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Added link
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2015   #48
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Ericoid mycorrhiza is the mycorrhizal fungi inoculate that Blueberries as well as Azalea, Camellia, Cranberry, Heather, and Rhododendron, form a symbiotic relationship with.

Endo and Ecto do very little, if anything at all, for blueberry plants. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ericoid_mycorrhiza

Dutch
Interesting .. I have been using the micogrow on every plant I'm growing. So its possible that its not helping at all for some of those? Well, as long as it is not hurting, it doesn't matter I suppose
tnkrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2015   #49
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnkrer View Post
Interesting .. I have been using the micogrow on every plant I'm growing. So its possible that its not helping at all for some of those? Well, as long as it is not hurting, it doesn't matter I suppose
Endo has an exchange mechanism on the inside of the root (and the hyphae extend outside the root). Endo mycorrhizae form mostly with green leafy plants and most commercially produced plants. Examples: Most Vegetables, Grasses, Flowers, Shrubs, Fruit Trees and Ornamentals.

Ecto lives only outside of the root. Ecto mycorrhizae form mainly with Conifers and Oaks. They are required only for a small percentage of woody type plants/trees.
http://mycorrhizae.com/faqs/differen...o-mycorrhizae/

Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

Last edited by Dutch; May 30, 2015 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old May 30, 2015   #50
bower
Tomatovillian™

Really impressive results of your trial, Dutch. It's nice to see a difference that's so clear to the naked eye!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2015   #51
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Bower!
I appreciate everything you post here at Tomatoville.
Thanks again.
Dutch

Old June 15, 2015   #52
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

This is an excellent article written by Fred T. Davies, Jr. of Texas A&M University about the benefits of Mycorrhizal Fungi.
http://www.biogreenorganic.com/all-a...y-fred-davies/

The sentences that I have highlighted from the above link are the main reasons I inoculate my tomatoes and pepper plants with Endomycorrhiza.

“Endomycorrhiza are characterized by arbuscules (arbuscular mycorrhiza), and some endomycorrhiza will form both arbuscules and vesicles
these are referred to as vesicular arbuscular mycorrhiza (Fig. 1). Mycorrhizal hyphae penetrate into the host root cortical cells and extend outward into the surrounding soil, thus increasing the roots surface area. Vesicles are used for food storage, and arbuscules are involved in exchange of elements (phosphorus, magnesium, iron, etc.) which the mycorrhiza gives to the host plant. With this symbiotic association, the mycorrhiza help the host plant more efficiently absorb soil elements and soil water, while the host plant gives the fungi carbon (carbohydrates), since mycorrhiza cannot photosynthesize. Arbuscular mycorrhiza produce a hydrophobic protein called glomalin, which prevents the hyphae from desiccating, and ultimately encourages soil aggregation around the root system that improves the root contact with water and mineral elements in the rhizosphere (Fig 2). This increases the plants resistance to drought and other stresses.”

“INFORMATION ON MYCORRHIZA
The following web sites offer excellent information on mycorrhiza: 1) Mycorrhizal Information Exchange – Bob Augé, University of Tennessee; 2) International Mycorrhiza Society; 3) Joe Morton, INVAM— International Culture Collection of Vesicular Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungi; and 4) Fred Davies, Nursery Crop Physiology Lab, Texas A&M University

Dutch

Last edited by Dutch; June 15, 2015 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Fixed a link
Old June 15, 2015   #53
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Thanks very much for posting that information, Dutch. I'm trying hard to
absorb this type of info into my very senior brain! Darlene
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #54
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Pictures and illustrations are very helpful in grasping the words.

http://mycorrhizas.info/vam.html#intro
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #55
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Dutch! Those are great resources!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #56
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Yes, thanks for all the great information, Dutch. And thanks for the extra plants earlier this season. I am growing one of the Brandy Boy's and its looking good. I think the dip you use has helped it so far this yr. Thanks again!
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #57
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Ray. That's a wonderful site-extremely helpful!
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #58
TheUrbanFarmer
Tomatovillian™

Any thoughts or feelings on T and J BioVam?
TheUrbanFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2016   #59
NoahYates
Tomatovillian™

Great thread!! Would myco grow for vegetables yield comparable results to kelp4less' or the hydro source’s endo mycorrhizae?
NoahYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2016   #60
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahYates View Post
Great thread!! Would myco grow for vegetables yield comparable results to kelp4less' or the hydro source’s endo mycorrhizae?
Hi Noah,
Yes, MycoGrow should work great. MycoGrow is a product sold by Fungi Perfecti which was founded by Paul Stamets. Paul Stamets is a Mycologist with some pretty impressive credentials. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Stamets
Thank you for your question and if you try it, please post back here with your results.

Dutch