Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 5, 2012   #46
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
Did you try the Bloody Butchers yet? I have a plant down at the lakeside garden, in the shade producing like crazy (wonder what it would do in full sun!). Hope they taste good!

So, um, I know people do have trolls in their gardens.....but what do they actually "do"? lol
A few posts up there is a picture of a few blushing Bloody Butchers I picked. I haven't tasted them yet but I'm sure in a few days they will be good to go,
I also hope they are good.

The plant has exhibited really nice growth and good yield. Although I believe it has been infected with some virus or disease so we'll see how long it lasts.

I'm pretty sure Babice layed out the purpose of gnomes out nicely for us.

My gnome is called Fancy Pants Geronimo! He loves to cook fresh gnome meals from garden scraps. Plays squash semi-competitively and is a Scorpio. His garden use is he wards off offending insects by the smell of his many culinary concoctions. Once a month F.P.G. holds a cupluck, for which each gnome is responsible to bring a cup of their favorite food.
Sadly i haven't seen Hoover around recently but F.P.G told me Hoover had been chasing the guests around yelling something about rabbits following him. Bah who knows, these garden Gnomes are trouble.

Last edited by Crandrew; July 5, 2012 at 01:25 PM.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2012   #47
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
My gnome is called Fancy Pants Geronimo! ... Once a month F.P.G. holds a cupluck, for which each gnome is responsible to bring a cup of their favorite food.
LOL! I love that! Hey - at least your Gnome told you his name! Mine won't tell me his name. Something about possibly becoming King one day.... So, I call him "Your Highness" to make him smile and keep me on his good side.
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2012   #48
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

LOL I stand corrected, I had forgotten trolls were the bad ones

Personally, I'd like to have a statue of Michaelangelo's David in my garden, but somehow I don't think that would fly here. I just have a gargoyle instead
Old July 9, 2012   #49
babice
Tomatovillian™

Cranman - how does your garden grow? How 'bout some pic updates for those of us living vicariously thru you? BTW - sorry I kinda took over your thread with discussion about gnomes, etc.
Old July 10, 2012   #50
tedln

I resemble some of those remarks. Why must everyone assume gnomes and trolls are male? Isn't it possible a miss or mrs. troll or gnome exists in some folks gardens? I remember riding in a car with a friend. When I asked him what a lady standing on a street corner was doing, he said she was trolling. That was probably the first time I've seen a troll and I didn't even know it.

Ted
Old July 10, 2012   #51
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
LOL I stand corrected, I had forgotten trolls were the bad ones

Personally, I'd like to have a statue of Michaelangelo's David in my garden, but somehow I don't think that would fly here. I just have a gargoyle instead
yeah well the stories i always heard were that trolls hung out under bridges and would snatch kids when they crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babice View Post
Cranman - how does your garden grow? How 'bout some pic updates for those of us living vicariously thru you? BTW - sorry I kinda took over your thread with discussion about gnomes, etc.
I will take some pictures for an update this week. My peppers are all setting fruit now. The mators are begining to ripen more. Luckily this week we have weather expected to stay around 80 deg so no more of this June Gloom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
I resemble some of those remarks. Why must everyone assume gnomes and trolls are male? Isn't it possible a miss or mrs. troll or gnome exists in some folks gardens? I remember riding in a car with a friend. When I asked him what a lady standing on a street corner was doing, he said she was trolling. That was probably the first time I've seen a troll and I didn't even know it.

Ted
Yeah the term would be applicable to that as well. Online forums use the word troll for somebody that is bored and opening threads or looking to garner a reaction from board members by the nature of their interactions.

And the very famous Internet "Troll Face"
Old July 10, 2012   #52
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Ted
ROFLOL! Well - I haven't ever seen a live troll! That musta been scawy! But, I know "His Highness" is a boy gnome. He's very proud of the fact that he'll (in his opinion) be King some day. Of course, you're right though. There's gotta be girl gnomes (how else would they procreate?). I ain't never met one though! I might go looking for one but that'd be kinda like going on a snipe hunt! ("Here snipe!" "Here snipe!")
Old July 10, 2012   #53
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by babice View Post
ROFLOL! Well - I haven't ever seen a live troll! That musta been scawy! But, I know "His Highness" is a boy gnome. He's very proud of the fact that he'll (in his opinion) be King some day. Of course, you're right though. There's gotta be girl gnomes (how else would they procreate?). I ain't never met one though! I might go looking for one but that'd be kinda like going on a snipe hunt! ("Here snipe!" "Here snipe!")
Yea, I like those snipes also. When I was a boy scout, I used to hold a potato sack open while the other scouts chased snipes into it. It's a good thing we brought extra food or we would have starved trying to catch some snipes for dinner.

I asked my friend how he knew the lady on the street corner was a troll. He said only trolls wear their little summer clothes while standing on a street corner on a cold winter night. Don't trolls get cold? He also said you need a lot of experience with trolls to recognize them easily.

Ted
Old July 10, 2012   #54
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yea, I like those snipes also. When I was a boy scout, I used to hold a potato sack open while the other scouts chased snipes into it. It's a good thing we brought extra food or we would have starved trying to catch some snipes for dinner.

I asked my friend how he knew the lady on the street corner was a troll. He said only trolls wear their little summer clothes while standing on a street corner on a cold winter night. Don't trolls get cold? He also said you need a lot of experience with trolls to recognize them easily.

Ted
HAHAHA what?
Old July 10, 2012   #55
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
HAHAHA what?
What what? You never seen a snipe? Or gone on a snipe hunt? Posting instructions for you in next post...

tedin- maybe the reason they don't get cold is because (as I found in my intensive research on my lunch hour) they are hard-skinned and usually live in tunnels or under bridges. Apparently they are practically indestructible except that sunlight will turn them to stone. Might explain why no one's seen a troll in their garden (that and the fact that the troll is the gnome's only enemy). I always thought trolls weren't real!! Now I know.

Last edited by babice; July 10, 2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old July 10, 2012   #56
babice
Tomatovillian™

Cran-ium - because I like you, I'll tell you how to go hunting around your house tonight to see if there are any snipes, okay? I think you'll have better success if you take your lady friend with you on the hunt so you can both keep an eye out.

1. It has to be almost totally dark or late evening
2. Don't bring a flashlight! Again - it has to be dark
3. Look for like a trail or some indication that something's been walking around your bushes or somewhere like that outside your house
4. Make smooching noises (you know, like you're calling a cat or something) and walk around clapping -- not too hard but enough to kinda let 'em know you're there but that you don't want to hurt them
5. You can also call gently "Here snipe!" "Here snipe!" - they respond well to the smoochy noises, the clapping and the "Here snipe" thing
6. You can walk with a bag if you want to try to catch one in there - I think that's just darned mean! I just am always looking to see one.
7. You'll hear a rustling of leaves or ground stuff or things scrambling around -- that could be one

It usually works. "Why haven't I ever seen one when I'm outside looking for hornworms or checking my toms?" you ask? Well, my guess would be (a) you wear that light on your head and (b) you aren't calling to them!

Try it! I hope you see one!

Last edited by babice; July 10, 2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
Old July 10, 2012   #57
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Ted
You saw your first troll! That's pretty funny.
You don't have to go past Shrek for real lady trolls. Gnomeo and Juliet for female gnomes.(I have little kids so we see them all)

As to snipes - thems good eatin'!
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2012   #58
tedln

Them snipes is mighty good, but they is like snails. It takes a bunch to make a meal.

Ted
Old July 10, 2012   #59
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Them snipes is mighty good, but they is like snails. It takes a bunch to make a meal.

Ted
Oh - that's just wrong...
Old July 11, 2012   #60
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Baby update for July 10th. To hold me over till the weekend.

An pretty immature Crookneck Squash.

The last two weeks I decided to do some cloning for a potential late crop season to put me through Dec/Jan. This shows the root growth after being in tap water for 1 week.

These were all cloned using soil as the medium. they drop unlike the water cloning method but still come back strong.

The bloody butchers are finally getting ripe. I'm pulling around 4-5 each day from the one plant. They were very good

I have two Jalapeno plants. This one was planted in Feb and has been fruiting very nicely. I also have an overwintered jalapeno out back that I will take pictures of later.

Hope you enjoyed the fragmented and short update.

Last edited by Crandrew; July 11, 2012 at 12:06 PM.